Logging ultralight time in the Philippines

iflyforfun

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
iflyforfun
I'm checked out and have been flying an "ultralight" in the Philippines. This is a 2 seat Quicksilver MXL. In the Philippines, this is considered an ultralight, so no PPSEL is required and the club just self-certifies its pilots. I have a PPSEL, but my medical is not current since I haven't flown in the US for almost 4 years. I assume I can log this as single engine time even though no current medical. No problem with that right? Would insurance consider this SEL time?
Jeff

First, insurance will depend entirely on the insurance policy. Is this a US renter's policy? Make sure it doesn't exclude foreign aircraft or fields. Is it a policy the club holds in the Philippines? Make sure it doesn't exclude non-Phillippines citizens.

As far as logging the time, you'll need to determine whether the airplane is "An aircraft of foreign registry with an airworthiness certificate that is approved by the aviation authority of a foreign country that is a Member State to the Convention on International Civil Aviation Organization". If so, you're probably good.

You don't need a medical or BFR to log time, so that's not an issue regardless of whether it would be required to act as PIC in the States (not sure how easily we count foreign planes as LSAs).

You don't need a medical or BFR to log time, so that's not an issue regardless of whether it would be required to act as PIC in the States (not sure how easily we count foreign planes as LSAs).
...or operating a US registered aircraft anywhere or operating on the authority of your US license anywhere.

As long as the aircraft in question is not US registered and your authority to fly it isn't based on your US certificate, most of the FAR requirements do not apply.

As for logging, it appears Philippine ultralights are not certificated at all so the time is not loggable for any useful US experience purpose. It probably helps for the Philippine sport pilot license if you're going for that.

Sounds like fun. Honestly log it for what it is. Probably of no use for a future US rating. Dunno if insurance would put any value on it.

An ultralight is not an Aircraft. The time is neither loggable nor acceptable to the Administrator.
I know this for fact from being the coroner on scene at an UL crash (fatal). When the State Police Lieutenant on scene called the FSDO to report the crash the FSDO Inspector taking the report asked for the tail number. Informed there was no tail number because it was one of those camping chairs with a screaming chainsaw engine the Inspector told him that "it is not an aircraft and it is your problem not ours" - and hung up.

An ultralight is not an Aircraft. The time is neither loggable nor acceptable to the Administrator.
I know this for fact from being the coroner on scene at an UL crash (fatal). When the State Police Lieutenant on scene called the FSDO to report the crash the FSDO Inspector taking the report asked for the tail number. Informed there was no tail number because it was one of those camping chairs with a screaming chainsaw engine the Inspector told him that "it is not an aircraft and it is your problem not ours" - and hung up.

Wrong! An ultralight is indeed an aircraft and the FAA covers them under FAR Part 103 as well as a couple of Advisory Circulars.

Actually they are 'Air Vehicles.' He should log it, as such. Just don't try to use it for any future ratings. Simple.

I wanted to do that the last time I was over there, it looks like a blast.

Hey ! I think I know that place. Is it near Angeles City ? That place is a blast, nice bar at the club there as well. Try not to take any of the bar girls home though " I love you long time, no ****. You buy me drink ?" !!!

Hey ! I think I know that place. Is it near Angeles City ? That place is a blast, nice bar at the club there as well. Try not to take any of the bar girls home though " I love you long time, no ****. You buy me drink ?" !!!

Sounds like the place except for the bar. They've got an awesome bar on the 2nd floor that looks over the field, but none of the bar girl crap. You want that, head to the city. You want a clean weekend of flying, swimming and relaxing, Angles City Flying Club is the place.

http://angelesflying.com/

Back