Logging time as a student pilot

cleared4theoption

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jeremy
Question, if you are a soloed student pilot, and you go flying with another pilot (SEL or better), can you log that time? Can you log pic if you got to be "sole manipulator of the controls" for a certain length of time? Obviously you can't log dual received if the guy(or gal) isn't a CFI.

Thanks

Question, if you are a soloed student pilot, and you go flying with another pilot (SEL or better), can you log that time? Can you log pic if you got to be "sole manipulator of the controls" for a certain length of time? Obviously you can't log dual received if the guy(or gal) isn't a CFI.

Thanks
I believe not. You have to be solo.
:confused:

Thanks

No, you are not yet rated, you are only permitted solo as a pilot. You can go flying, be sole manipulator and all that, but you are not qualified to log it.

If the other pilot happens to be a CFI and is willing to sign your logbook you can log it as dual received. (I'm sure I just grinded gears somewhere calling it that.)

If you go into 61.51(e)(1)(i), you'll see you must be "rated" to log it as sole manipulator, and until you get your Recreational or Private ticket, you aren't "rated." Sport Pilots need only "have privileges," since they don't get ratings, but you're not a Sport Pilot.

As for having an instructor in the other control seat,yes, that instructor can give you loggable training, but it's still not PIC time for you. See 61.51(e) for details.

Back