Logging ME time without an MEI?

RyanB

Super Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Ryan
A friend of mine flies a King Air, he does not have his MEI, so I assume I would not be able to log any ME time if I rode right seat with him. If I got my ME rating and then rode right seat with him, then would I be able to log the time even though my rating would come from a twin piston and the King air is a turbo?

Last edited:
A friend of mine flies a King Air, he does not have his MEI, so I assume I would not be able to log any ME time if I rode right seat with him. If I got my ME rating and then rode right seat with him, then would I be able to log the time even though my rating would come from a twin piston and the King air is a turbo?

As long as it's a King Air model that doesn't require a type rating, you would be able to log your sole-manipulator time once you got a multi rating, as far as the FAA is concerned. Yadda yadda insurance questions yadda your friend wouldn't be able to log the same hours too yadda.

Without a multi rating, yeah, convince your friend to get his MEI :)

As long as it's a King Air model that doesn't require a type rating, you would be able to log your sole-manipulator time once you got a multi rating, as far as the FAA is concerned. Yadda yadda insurance questions yadda your friend wouldn't be able to log the same hours too yadda.

Without a multi rating, yeah, convince your friend to get his MEI :)

That's what I figured. So even if I don't have a ME rating I still couldn't count it as total time or anything?

That's what I figured. So even if I don't have a ME rating I still couldn't count it as total time or anything?

"Total time" isn't really a thing, so sure you could, but that doesn't appear anywhere FAA official. The "official" types of pilot time for the purposes of logging (from 14 CFR 61.51(b)(2)) are:

(i) Solo.
(ii) Pilot in command.
(iii) Second in command.
(iv) Flight and ground training received from an authorized instructor.
(v) Training received in a flight simulator, flight training device, or aviation training device from an authorized instructor.

Since it's not one of those, the FAA doesn't care about it (in terms of applying for future ratings), and it's not likely that any employers would either (in terms of applying for jobs). Nobody will stop you putting it in your logbook so long as you don't put it in one of those columns.

"Total time" isn't really a thing, so sure you could, but that doesn't appear anywhere FAA official. The "official" types of pilot time for the purposes of logging (from 14 CFR 61.51(b)(2)) are:

Since it's not one of those, the FAA doesn't care about it (in terms of applying for future ratings), and it's not likely that any employers would either (in terms of applying for jobs). Nobody will stop you putting it in your logbook so long as you don't put it in one of those columns.
Not quite. For example, the ATP requires a certain amount of "total time as a pilot," a phrase used a number of times in regs and FAA publications.

But you are correct that there is no "total time" entry in this case since "total time" is either "total flight time" or "total pilot time" ("total" simply being an English word, both "flight time" and "pilot time" being defined, and whether you track one or the other being mostly a matter of bookkeeping than regulation).

Unless one fits into some 61.51 time logging box, these is nothing to log that counts for anything except personal jollies.

As long as it's a King Air model that doesn't require a type rating

IIRC, the King Air C90, B100 and B200 don't require a Type Rating as they're not over 12,500lbs and are not turbojet powered...just the B300/350/1900 require it.

Not sure if you'd require a high performance endorsement and a high altitude endorsement (if operating above FL250), for the purposes of logging it.

Ryan, I am in the same boat ... errr ... airplane.
I have a buddy who flies King Airs for a living and I ride with him from time to time. But I can't log the time until I get my ME.

Not sure if you'd require a high performance endorsement and a high altitude endorsement (if operating above FL250), for the purposes of logging it.
Logging 101 - Endorsements are not required for logging PIC as sole manipulator. Ratings are.

Ryan, I am in the same boat ... errr ... airplane.
I have a buddy who flies King Airs for a living and I ride with him from time to time. But I can't log the time until I get my ME.

A multi engine rating is inexpensive and fairly easy to get. Why not just get the rating?? :dunno:

I hope to get my rating, but not sure when. For now ill have to just enjoy the ride

I was in the same situation years ago. I have unloggable time in an Aero Commander (twin). I flew with someone who had an expired MEI. He also had an ATP but although we worked together at the same company it was Part 91. People told me I should get my ME but no, I was lazy and didn't think the time mattered. Maybe it didn't in the end but it could have.

Back