Logging aborted take offs.

AdamZ

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Adam Zucker
So I have a T/O - landing logging question. Plane is accelerating down the runway and breaks ground. Just after it breaks ground the door pops open. ( When a Bo's door pops open it POPS OPEN!) Non of this mamby pamby piper door open stuff :)

There is plenty of runway left so I pull power set her back down and stop with plenty of room. pull off the runway my partner closes the door and we do it all over again.

May I log that as two take offs and a landing? Also just by way of background we are on a real runway and not a treadmill.

If you really, really, desperately need that landing for currency, sure. Why not. You took off. You landed. Heck, in theory it was even an emergency landing!!! (Yeah, a door popping open is not an emergency unless you make it one, but that still counts to me)

OTOH, if you really, really, desperately need that landing for currency, I'd be concerned for other reasons :D

If you really, really, desperately need that landing for currency, sure. Why not. You took off. You landed. Heck, in theory it was even an emergency landing!!! (Yeah, a door popping open is not an emergency unless you make it one, but that still counts to me)

OTOH, if you really, really, desperately need that landing for currency, I'd be concerned for other reasons :D

Heh heh. Nah not needed just trying to split the hair. Sorry we missed you an Jan in Austin.

At least you didn't pull a chute.

Who says I didn't? :)

I was going to ask why you didn't stop the for a visit, but then I read you had plenty of runway left and I knew it wasn't Lakewood. Gl

My logbook is the story of my adventures flying...:yes: So with that being said I would have logged it with a note about the door... JMHO...:rockon:

Blue skies!!!

So I have a T/O - landing logging question. Plane is accelerating down the runway and breaks ground. Just after it breaks ground the door pops open. ( When a Bo's door pops open it POPS OPEN!) Non of this mamby pamby piper door open stuff :)

There is plenty of runway left so I pull power set her back down and stop with plenty of room. pull off the runway my partner closes the door and we do it all over again.

May I log that as two take offs and a landing? Also just by way of background we are on a real runway and not a treadmill.

Sounds good to me except the two take offs and a landing. I really hope the day ends with two landings

I've never logged my takeoffs. Maybe I should start. I've have to see if MFB has that field.

My logbook is the story of my adventures flying...:yes: So with that being said I would have logged it with a note about the door... JMHO...:rockon:

Blue skies!!!

I'll second that.

Takeoffs and landing are necessary to be logged for passenger carrying currency. I don't think the "intent to take off" is sufficient. You must leave the ground.

The movement under the "intent" of flight is sufficient to log flight time.

Takeoffs and landing are necessary to be logged for passenger carrying currency. I don't think the "intent to take off" is sufficient. You must leave the ground.
I think the original post indicated the plane did leave the ground. How high does it need to go to count as a takeoff?

i intended to fly 6 approaches, holding, intercepting, and tracking, so I'm good for 6 months IFR, right?
only if you do it in a tailwheel twin, with an MEI who has no medical, while you aren't current for twin tailwheels, so you have to log SIC instead of PIC but and FSDO inspector from a different FSDO said it was ok on the phone, with a ferry permit.

At night.

Agreed, although now we know why §61.129(a)(4)(ii) specifically states: "5 hours in night VFR conditions with 10 takeoffs and 10 landings (with each landing involving a flight with a traffic pattern) at an airport with an operating control tower"

...I guess someone figured out they could knock out about half a dozen stop-and-go hops on an old SAC runway.

Adam, don't make me punch you.

Heh Heh this was the response I was waiting for ROLMAO!

I did leave the ground. And no I don't care about logging it. just a topic of conversation.

OK, I misread that. As far at the rules go that was a takeoff and landing. The guy in the tower (if there was a tower), clicked the counter twice.

What does the guy in the tower have to do with it? He may not have been axle to tell if the wheels left the pavement.

If this is loggable, I need to adjust my night currency technique. I could knock it all out in what, 5 min?

A rejected take off is just that. Rejected. Ask yourself......does it pass the smell test!

You took off, you flew, you landed. It counts. There's no "minimum time in flight" requirement for logging time.

At least you didn't pull a chute.

iWKad22.jpg

You took off, you flew, you landed. It counts. There's no "minimum time in flight" requirement for logging time.

If that logic holds true, a bounced landing is 2-3 landings and take offs? For a CFI to claim that, I question your true metal.

If that logic holds true, a bounced landing is 2-3 landings and take offs? For a CFI to claim that, I question your true metal.

I thought a rejected takeoff occurred prior to the actual takeoff?

After one has taken off can you still reject said action?

If your plane leaves the ground, you took off, did you not?

Last edited:
I thought a rejected takeoff occurred prior to the actual takeoff? Isn't that the whole point of that V1 stuff?

After one has taken off can you still reject said action?
I think the OP is talking Part 23 aircraft, not Part 25. V1 is not part of the equation.

I think the OP is talking Part 23 aircraft, not Part 25. V1 is not part of the equation.

Yeh, I just threw that in there, I'll edit it for clarity sake.

So, to the meat of the question, at what point does a rejected takeoff take place?

I always figured if the wheels left the ground, I was flying.

Last edited:
This. It seems as if they leave it up to you to decide, so far. So I intend to slap anyone who asks for an interpretation from the Chief Counsel. ;)

But I also seem to remember when I was flying helicopters that they required a "phase of flight" between picking it up from a hover and setting it down. I'm pretty sure it didn't include a distance you needed to travel, however.

Talk about comparing apples to oranges. There's no intent or action related to a takeoff in a bounced landing. It's just a botched landing.

In the original scenario he intended to takeoff, did so,then made the intentional decision to land, and did so. Length of flight is irrelevant.

And my metal is just fine, thank you. Try again.

Were you airborne longer than the wright brothers first flight? They didn't fly very far, but nobody seems to argue that they flew.

Since it was before the FAA and the omnipotent General Counsel, who could "officially" argue? Maybe Whithead or Langley?

Cheers

I never have logged take offs or landings. I always thought that was a given......

Talk about comparing apples to oranges. There's no intent or action related to a takeoff in a bounced landing. It's just a botched landing.

In the original scenario he intended to takeoff, did so,then made the intentional decision to land, and did so. Length of flight is irrelevant.

And my metal is just fine, thank you. Try again.

Based on your previous post, intent is irrelevant. Wheel off the ground, flying....wheels touch...landing. You can't cherry pick it Striker. Maybe drink some of that orange juice instead of bathing in it.

Based on your previous post, intent is irrelevant. Wheel off the ground, flying....wheels touch...landing. You can't cherry pick it Striker. Maybe drink some of that orange juice instead of bathing in it.

Work on your reading comprehension. This really isn't that complicated. If a bounced landing seems the same as an initial takeoff to you, well...sorry, I can't help you.

Last edited:
Back