Logging >50nm Cross Country Flights

I re-read the OP, and I apologize. This thread is about logging xc flight, not a totally different post where the fella is exploring options. I got OT.

We're all like minded people, and we should try to be as helpful as we can to potential pilots.

We are brothers and sisters of flight.

I re-read the OP, and I apologize. This thread is about logging xc flight, not a totally different post where the fella is exploring options. I got OT.

We're all like minded people, and we should try to be as helpful as we can to potential pilots.

We are brothers and sisters of flight.

Completely agree on the brother part, but being a single guy I have to disagree about calling all female pilots my sisters

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You know, I had kind of a strange moment after getting my license.

I was grinning ear to ear, approaching the plane, and I thought "FINALLY, now I don't have to... .... wait no I still do everything I've been doing in training all this time. Nothing has changed. I'm still going to fly by the book. Well, except straight-ins, those are in. Also, I might hire some flight attendants. Yeah. Maybe a dude, maybe a dude, you know, we'll keep things PC and all that. Naw, it ain't a dude and you all know it, no way it's a dude. Hey, how much of this was out loud? Why are you guys looking at me, did you hear that stuff about flight attendants? Why are you looking at each other like that?"

Somehow I thought I'd feel different, but nope, same guy who stayed up too late, couldn't sleep, and was so nervous just an hour ago.

Again, I'm OT, just thought of that moment. The first part of my thought was real.

No. An hour after you get your PPL you can kill yourself without affecting the lives of your CFI and his family.

-Skip
Not really. A CFI whose student kills himself an hour later will be looked at. If nothing else, talked to by the NTSB investigators as a witness. Hopefully not more than that from a regulatory or legal standpoint. It may be brief likely be brief but very uncomfortable. And that CFI will often be lef wondering if he failed somehow.

Hardly "without effect."

How about taking the CFI on the 1500nm X-Cntry? Would be a bit pricey, but the experience gained would be well worth the cost.

I learned to fly in Alaska, where a cross country was, in my mind, a near death defying adventure for a newly minted PP. Once I moved to the east coast, it took quite some time before I was comfortable enough with the tools available to me to make a ~200nm X-Cntry. It is very easy in this region to find airports right at 50nm. I eventually decided I needed to venture out of my safety bubble and started throwing darts at the sectional and going with it. I've also made it a point to not visit the same airport on consecutive flights just to keep broadening my experience.

I would think the DPE who signed him off a hour earlier will probably be going to the FSDO too. Doesn't mean it was a pushover examiner or even at fault...but I bet they would fig there too.

Back