Logbook question, and first flight as a certified pilot!

Unless your definition of "flying the airplane" does not involve the manipulation of the controls via either the stick/yoke or the autopilot, I don't see how you can, but since that term isn't FAA-defined, I suppose one can come up with their own definition of the term, although I'd like to hear one that doesn't involve control manipulation by some means.

My head hurts -- so I guess you just won the award for the most convoluted sentence posted today anywhere on the World Wide Web.

Congratulations! :smile:
What Ron wrote makes perfect sense to me - and didn't make my "head hurt"....

And the way one can fly a plane without manipulating the controls is...?

..when you sit back, stare at the wife who just did her pinch hitter course, and say "The plane is yours...go there (points to map)"

She got upset the first time, now looks forward to it once in a while.

Ah, but what if the person that activated the autopilot then jumped out of the plane with a parachute and leaves me at the controls? Who is flying the plane then? I never did anything.

Now you're the safety pilot. :)

Well,.. I fixed it. Took my nice cherished log book and went through, striking out the entries of 'solo' where I had a passenger, retotalling at the bottom, initialling, and going to the next page. :rolleyes: Figured I better do it now, so I have a bunch of nice looking pages after this for when I do the instrument and then the commercial ratings,... eventually. :)

Well,.. I fixed it. Took my nice cherished log book and went through, striking out the entries of 'solo' where I had a passenger, retotalling at the bottom, initialling, and going to the next page. :rolleyes: Figured I better do it now, so I have a bunch of nice looking pages after this for when I do the instrument and then the commercial ratings,... eventually. :)

Oh my goodness...

This is why I maintain an electronic logbook (excel spreadsheet) and print it out from time to time.

I have one too, but all my signatures are in my paper book, and I keep a backup scan of it as well.

Oh, ok.

I have my first logbook (all paper).

My next logbook includes all the old logbook lines and all my new stuff. All endorsements are in the new logbook now.

I should keep more copies but there are only so many hours in a day...

:dunno:

Hello, I have a question.

Does it matter who writes the remarks in your logbook? For example, I just got my private pilot's license a few months ago and I took up my dad and sister recently. Since we just flew around I let them write whatever they wanted to in the remarks, such as "great flying, had fun" etc. I looked it up in the FAR and didn't see anything about it so I assume its ok.

Does it matter who writes the remarks in your logbook?
Legally, no -- but when you sign the page, you become responsible for whatever they've written, so make sure they don't write anything like "Loops are fun!" in an entry for a flight in a Cessna 172. ;)

For example, I just got my private pilot's license a few months ago and I took up my dad and sister recently. Since we just flew around I let them write whatever they wanted to in the remarks, such as "great flying, had fun" etc.
Nothing illegal about that, but it's not what folks like potential aviation employers expect to see when they review your log.

Alright, thank you. I'm not going to let it happen anymore and hope some future aviation employer won't notice. :goofy:

Alright, thank you. I'm not going to let it happen anymore and hope some future aviation employer won't notice. :goofy:

Most employers look for the required items. If you have some personal things in your book it's not going to sway them one way or the other.

I brought this up with the instructor the other day, and i had a thread here on it too. While it is ASEL, and it seems I should be able to from the FAR definition of PIC, the local FSDO said otherwise to him.

Local FSDO's don't have the authority to overrule the interpretations of the FAA Chief Counsel. Suggest to them (very politely) that they check with HQ before giving out such incorrect interpretations. And for your edification, know that your analysis is 100% in line with the Chief Counsel's.

Bullhockey. It's your log, and your responsibility if it isn't right. All your instructor is signing for is the training s/he gave you; everything else goes over your signature and is your responsibility.

Interpretation from last year to be precise:
Herman

Chief Counsel's Office said:
Accordingly, in your examples, the pilot may log PIC time if that pilot is properly rated for the aircraft flown even though that pilot does not have the required endorsements to act as a PIC.

I noticed that 61.51(a) says, in part:
"Each person must document and record the following time in a manner acceptable to the Administrator:"
Has the Administrator provided any guidance on what is an acceptable manner of documentation, i.e., electronic logbooks vs. paper, signed vs. not signed, etc.?

Back