Logbook milestone today--logged my 10,000th landing.

I'm not sure I'd disagree with Brook on this one. It seems many "cooks" will use spicy-like items in lieu of actually producing something with an enticing flavor. It's like taking a bottle of Tabasco and dumping it on a steak from Ryan's and saying it's better than what you get at Longhorn for four times the money. I've never gotten the idea of cooking Mexican food with so much spice, you can't even taste what you're eating.

I'm not sure I'd disagree with Brook on this one. It seems many "cooks" will use spicy-like items in lieu of actually producing something with an enticing flavor. It's like taking a bottle of Tabasco and dumping it on a steak from Ryan's and saying it's better than what you get at Longhorn for four times the money. I've never gotten the idea of cooking Mexican food with so much spice, you can't even taste what you're eating.

Which is why good NC BBQ doesn't have amounts of the sauce. The pork's supposed to have a good smoky flavor. The sauce is just an accent. If you go to a place and they're dumping on the sauce, they're trying to cover something. Go elsewhere!

And NC BBQ isn't the only food to contain vinegar. Pickles come to mind.

As far as JD goes, well Texans aren't Southerners so we'll just have to cut him some slack :)

Personally, I haven't met a piece of BBQ from any part of the country I didn't like, be it pork, beef, sausage, or "other". Well, come to think of it there was something I got in Oregon that had cheese on it, but other than that.

Good barbecue, from whatever state, has a robust flavor smoked into the meat, and the sauce is optional (like Justin noted).

I happen to prefer beef, but I do respect a good smoked pork, too. But try the smoked sirloin at Cooper's in Llano, or some of the fine brisket from the Hard-8 in Stephenville, and you'll understand.

Tom...IM NOT A LOOSER DAMN IT!!!!! Im just saying NC BBQ makes me throw up for real. Vinegar is a cleaning product not a food product.
Hang on, darlin'. I'm hitching on the spurs and saddling up the redbird headin' your way to defend your honor and BBQ virtue.

I think Tom just ate at one too many low-rent cop cafés which has significantly lowered his culinary threshold. . . :)

As far as JD goes, well Texans aren't Southerners so we'll just have to cut him some slack :)

Personally, I haven't met a piece of BBQ from any part of the country I didn't like, be it pork, beef, sausage, or "other". Well, come to think of it there was something I got in Oregon that had cheese on it, but other than that.

Whoa there! I may have to take that confederate flag off the tail of my Cardinal which is right under the Texas flag. . . I got a "United States of Texas" emblem on the RV. . .

But try the smoked sirloin at Cooper's in Llano, or some of the fine brisket from the Hard-8 in Stephenville, and you'll understand.

We may have to arrange a fly-in to Stephenville for some of these pulled pork heathens. As soon as they're baptized in the mesquite smoke of Hard 8 and annointed with the smoked brisket and prime rib, you're right--they'll understand, and thus be saved.

Verily.

-JD

"Verily" my great aunt Fanny! :D JD, sir, you've got entirely the wrong impression! It's only the two of y'all that have trouble here - Me? I eat it ALL!!! By all means feed me some o' that Texas Q! And the St. Louis stuff, as well! AND that which is made in Chicago!!

Yes sir, yes sir! Three bags full! :D

Well, JD, there's a few places down on the South Side that can do some magic on some ribs and whatnot . . . as I recall, it was a ways down from a place called "A Man Without A Woman Sandwich Shop". That cat had some issues, I'd say. :)

CHICAGO??!!?? CHICAGO??????!!!!!????

Chicago knows about as much about BBQ as Boy George knows about testosterone!

-JD
And I'm not gonna go there with the pun that came immediately to mind with the Boy George comment ... but it was kinda good. :yes:

CHICAGO??!!?? CHICAGO??????!!!!!????

Chicago knows about as much about BBQ as Boy George knows about testosterone!

-JD
Yeah, which is why one of our dream trips is to fly from here around the country trying their best BBQ joints.

Abso-damn-lootly you're not a looser! And don't think for one minute anyone here thinks that!
...but then, so do checkrides, right? :)

We love ya', Brook!

Yeah but my checkride was a nervous thing. Vinegar on the other hand just the smell of it makes me :vomit: .

So with this pig picking thing...I hear you acutally stand at the pig and eat it straight off the grill or whatever you cook it with. That right there is GROSS!!!!

Yeah, I like to start at the snout and work my way aaaall the way back to his little corkscrew tail. mm-mm-hmm!

So with this pig picking thing...I hear you acutally stand at the pig and eat it straight off the grill or whatever you cook it with. That right there is GROSS!!!!

Well, you usually put it on a plate, take it back to your table, and then eat it. But yes, before that you do walk up to the pig cooker and remove the meat you would like with a pair of tongs. As long as the head has been removed, it just looks like a big piece of meat.

As long as the head has been removed, it just looks like a big piece of meat.
And when it's not removed it looks like a... pig!

This one was trying to go for the Hawaiian theme, hence the pineapples. As I remember it was quite tasty. :yes:

Attachments

• Pig.jpg
    Pig.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 6
No, Brook - the pig is killed, gutted, cleaned (gotta scrape all that hair off of 'em!), maybe cut up maybe not. THEN it's put on the grill.

Coopers Llano, Tejas

Steak

End of story

Lowake, Texas (e of San Angelo) Lowake Steak House Entire town is a steak house.

Used to have landing strip but its gone...Even better than Cooper's if you can believe it.

Back