Log PIC without Endorsements?

I love it when the FAA states that the regulations mean what they say. Unfortunately, too many regs introduce extraneous definitions and interpretations that were not in the regulatory language. Since the FAA makes up the rules with only SHAM of public scrutiny and process, you think they could write them to read how they want rather than having to make up "oral law".

you think they could write them to read how they want rather than having to make up "oral law".
You are expecting far more from the writers of statutes, rules and regulations than they are probably capable of. That's not a slam on them, but just reality. That's why court cases, even if they have precedential value, are ultimately tied to the specific facts presented in them.

If they really tried to draft to make it clear what the rules were in every conceivable situation, the FAR would probably be 4 times as long and still not cover every nuance that people come up with. So we end of with this weird mixture of regulatory language and interpretation. The good news (or is it bad news?) is, it's not just the FAA.

You are expecting far more from the writers of statutes, rules and regulations than they are probably capable of. That's not a slam on them, but just reality. That's why court cases, even if they have precedential value, are ultimately tied to the specific facts presented in them.
Real laws reviewed by real courts will give the strongest preference to the actual literal text of the statue barring any ambiguity or constitutional principles. The FAA just pulls contradictory assertions out of the legal counsel's posterior without any regard to due process, rules of statuary construction, etc....

You haven't read enough cases by "real" courts reviewing "real" laws :D While I have disagreed with many, I'm sometimes surprised by the exact opposite of your observation — the number of times the FAA folks do a pretty good job. I'd expect agency-level interpretation to be worse.

I wonder what prompted Mr. Richards to seek out ANOTHER interpretation when this has been very clearly settled in the past.

I bet there was FAA personnel involved.

I love it when the FAA states that the regulations mean what they say. Unfortunately, too many regs introduce extraneous definitions and interpretations that were not in the regulatory language. Since the FAA makes up the rules with only SHAM of public scrutiny and process, you think they could write them to read how they want rather than having to make up "oral law".

And yet CFIs still get this wrong. I even had one report me to a FSDO when he saw that I was having pilots log PIC time when getting TW endorsements. The FSDO got a chuckle about it, asked him if he wanted some remedial training on the regs and then gave me a call warning me to watch my back with the guy.

And yet CFIs still get this wrong. I even had one report me to a FSDO when he saw that I was having pilots log PIC time when getting TW endorsements. The FSDO got a chuckle about it, asked him if he wanted some remedial training on the regs and then gave me a call warning me to watch my back with the guy.
Some do not understand the definition of recommended vs required either. Many a forum thread has gone 200 replies over that one.

Holy crap...what an ******* CFI.

Let's assume that he, in good faith, thought you were breaking the regulations. We know he was wrong, but it's likely that he actually believed it...to go to the FSDO for a paperwork issue? Seriously?

If I saw a pilot getting into his plane drunk, I might drop a dime on him. See a guy launching into low overcast without filing a clearance...yep, that endangers the people who do have the clearances...but a logbook issue? YHGTBFSM!

Holy crap...what an ******* CFI.

Let's assume that he, in good faith, thought you were breaking the regulations. We know he was wrong, but it's likely that he actually believed it...to go to the FSDO for a paperwork issue? Seriously?

If I saw a pilot getting into his plane drunk, I might drop a dime on him. See a guy launching into low overcast without filing a clearance...yep, that endangers the people who do have the clearances...but a logbook issue? YHGTBFSM!

Unfortunately I have learned that most areas have "that guy" who has the FSDO on speed dial.

Sounds to me like you have some good people at your FSDO.

If they really tried to draft to make it clear what the rules were in every conceivable situation, the FAR would probably be 4 times as long and still not cover every nuance that people come up with. So we end of with this weird mixture of regulatory language and interpretation. The good news (or is it bad news?) is, it's not just the FAA.

See: Obamacare

I just got my complex endorsement yesterday and the other day I asked the CFI why he didn't log PIC in my logbook. He stated since I did not have the endorsement yet, I couldn't. Last night, I went on another flight with him and mentioned this posting and the interpretation letter and he said I've talked to several other instructors and inspectors in the SEA area and all agree by the regulation wording, you cannot log PIC until after the endorsement. Sounds like a losing battle to fight, but I'm tempted to go back and "update" my logbook...

I just got my complex endorsement yesterday and the other day I asked the CFI why he didn't log PIC in my logbook. He stated since I did not have the endorsement yet, I couldn't. Last night, I went on another flight with him and mentioned this posting and the interpretation letter and he said I've talked to several other instructors and inspectors in the SEA area and all agree by the regulation wording, you cannot log PIC until after the endorsement. Sounds like a losing battle to fight, but I'm tempted to go back and "update" my logbook...
Go ahead and update the PIC column hours in your logbook. Many have.

Fighting ignorance is indeed a losing battle when the ignorant have no interest in learning. BTW, I wasn't joking that the FAA Chief Counsel's office has been consistent on this — in repeated interpretation letters — for more that 33 years.

It's your logbook, and it is legal; just put it in. I flew with an instructor who didn't understand the difference between acting PIC and logging PIC in regards to pre-endorsement flying either, and several other instructors held the same belief. I simply penned it in anyway after consulting the letters of interpretation to confirm it was indeed legal.

I see two enormous places for confusion.

1. CFIs confuse endorsements with ratings. 14 CFR 61.51(e)(1)(i) says you may log PIC time if you are rated for the aircraft and are the sole manipulator of controls. Though the definition of "rating" in 14 CFR 1.1 doesn't entirely exclude endorsements, the FAA is saying that it does in its interpretation.

2. Confusing logging PIC with acting PIC. It's clearly not allowed to act as PIC in a complex aircraft without a complex endorsement.

More to the point, though, if an instructor cannot be persuaded by the FAA's own legal opinions, I'd question whether that instructor is truly useful as such.

AMEN!!!!

And by writing a letter he put all of us at risk, because the Chief Counsel has often created a new and more restrictive 'reg' by answering a letter from some jacka^H^H^H^H^H misguided individual writing a letter to settle a squabble over a minor point.

Though the definition of "rating" in 14 CFR 1.1 doesn't entirely exclude endorsements,

==============================
Rating means a statement that, as a part of a certificate, sets forth special conditions, privileges, or limitations.
==============================

So, other than, arguably, a student solo certificate endorsement, which of the 61.31 endorsements are statements made "as part of a certificate"?

"Ratings" appear on the back of a pilot certificate, under the heading (drum roll, please), "Ratings." If it ain't back there, it's not a rating. How's that for simple and straightforward?

But it's easy to find confusion if one really tries hard enough. "1 + 1 is 2? I don't know. Not in binary. In binary it's 10. I'm confused."

:mad2:

One of those things I loved about my CFI...

When I did my complex/hp with him, we had a discussion about PIC. I said I could log it, he said "I don't think so." Well, 5 minutes and one letter from the FAA Chief Counsel's website later he was "Well, damn, I was wrong."

He was a helluva pilot and instructor, but if there's one thing I can do is read the regs and get to know them very well. And a CFI who'll admit he's wrong to a student is A-OK in my book.

One of those things I loved about my CFI...

When I did my complex/hp with him, we had a discussion about PIC. I said I could log it, he said "I don't think so." Well, 5 minutes and one letter from the FAA Chief Counsel's website later he was "Well, damn, I was wrong."

He was a helluva pilot and instructor, but if there's one thing I can do is read the regs and get to know them very well. And a CFI who'll admit he's wrong to a student is A-OK in my book.

Amen to that!

"Ratings" appear on the back of a pilot certificate, under the heading (drum roll, please), "Ratings." If it ain't back there, it's not a rating. How's that for simple and straightforward?

But it's easy to find confusion if one really tries hard enough. "1 + 1 is 2? I don't know. Not in binary. In binary it's 10. I'm confused."

Hi Mark. :D
Not arguing with Chief Counsel's interpretation, DTDT.

But if you really are interested in learning, and understanding the confusion on this matter, I refer you to Webster's dictionary definition of the word, ""rating" :
((one of them) : "The designation of the operating capacity of a piece of machinery, as expressed in horsepower, kilowatt, etc."

With this common understanding of the definition, it is reasonable to understand that most people would take the meaning of "Rated" to mean qualified to act as PIC.

And, it is reasonable to expect that logging PIC and acting as PIC are one in the same.

The fact that the CC has endorsed the special definition that is outside of the normal definition is why so many of us are outside the loop,..

...in the words of the Great Teacher, "Forgive them, for they know not what they do."

With this common understanding of the definition, it is reasonable to understand that most people would take the meaning of "Rated" to mean qualified to act as PIC.
Being rated is only one of many requirements to be qualified to act as PIC. They are not synonymous at all.

And, it is reasonable to expect that logging PIC and acting as PIC are one in the same.

I don't see what that would be "reasonable". I can see that it might be reasonable to make that assumption if one wasn't aware of the regulations that clearly state otherwise.

The fact that the CC has endorsed the special definition that is outside of the normal definition is why so many of us are outside the loop,..

I agree that the FARs are sometimes difficult to understand but this one pretty clear.

...in the words of the Great Teacher, "Forgive them, for they know not what they do."[/QUOTE]

But if you really are interested in learning, and understanding the confusion on this matter, I refer you to Webster's dictionary definition of the word, ""rating" :
((one of them) : "The designation of the operating capacity of a piece of machinery, as expressed in horsepower, kilowatt, etc."

...in the words of the Great Teacher, "Forgive them, for they know not what they do."

The FAA's definition of "rating" didn't supercede Webster's definition because the CC "endorsed" it; it happened because the FAA definition is a regulation (14 CFR 1.1, to be specific). As soon as it was published in the Federal Register, Webster's definition of the term became irrelevant for aviation purposes.

I think I'm a little familiar with the dictionary. But so what?

In every area of endeavor, there is jargon - words that have one meaning in the "real world" and a specific meaning in the world of the activity. It's certainly not reserved for aviation or, even within aviation, regulations.

Do you have the same problem when teaching student pilots the concept of "maneuverability" in aviation (the ability of the aircraft structure to withstand stress) since they are used to the more common lay definition (which is what "controlability" is in aviation)?

How about "stall"? Good grief! A definition (loss of lift resulting from exceeding some jargon nonsense called the "angle of attack") pretty much limited to flying and sailing avocations. How can you ever get a pilot to understand it has nothing to do with the engine quitting?

Hi Mark - good 2 hear from u.
Not arguing w/ u or CC.
Just attempting 2 speak 4 the masses, to help us all understand.

You havnt heard of many cfis teaching stalls as engine quitting and such, cause these are aviation specific definitions that are learned in training.

The CC aviation specific interpretations in these matters of logging time are not really trained in the mainline training schools, nor:yesnod: or they tested on any of the pilot or instructor checkrides.
If they were addressed on checkrides, it wouldn't be such an issue, would it?

CFIs could teach differences in acting and logging like differences in actual stalls and approaches to stalls, or some such.

My point is, that CC interps in these time logging matters are not tested, so they are not taught/learned in training.
They are learned by experience from people like u and me. :D

The CC aviation specific interpretations in these matters of logging time are not really trained in the mainline training schools, nor:yesnod: or they tested on any of the pilot or instructor checkrides.
If they were addressed on checkrides, it wouldn't be such an issue, would it?

CFIs could teach differences in acting and logging like differences in actual stalls and approaches to stalls, or some such.

My point is, that CC interps in these time logging matters are not tested, so they are not taught/learned in training.
They are learned by experience from people like u and me. :D
They are supposed to be tested on the practical test. In fact, that's the very first element in the PP-Airplane PTS -- Area I, Task A, element 1. So, you can't blame this on the FAA -- just CFI's who aren't covering all the things they are supposed to cover, and DPE's who don't test all the things they are supposed to test.

I've only been to one live FIRC - in 2001. Logging PIC time was covered extensively. It was also covered on my CFI checkride.

Ron's point is well-taken. Like may other things in aviation (and elsewhere) it's about training. I don't generally take instructors to task for not knowing PIC Logging 101 because in the past it was not covered very well, and the very best instructors (in terms of teaching people how not to kill themselves and how to keep passengers comfortable) may well be the ones who don't hang out online, don't need to do FIRCs and never had the opportunity to come across it (although after 30+ years and 10+ years of almost constant discussion on the Interned, it gets harder and harder to understand "Bubble Instructors" who also have "Bubble Students"). But, as others have said in this thread, there is a major difference between a CFI who never learned it and a CFI who, confronted with reality, continues to reject it.

Last edited:
They are supposed to be tested on the practical test. In fact, that's the very first element in the PP-Airplane PTS -- Area I, Task A, element 1. So, you can't blame this on the FAA -- just CFI's who aren't covering all the things they are supposed to cover, and DPE's who don't test all the things they are supposed to test.

That element covers a broad area of knowledge. I can see how some of the details of how 14 CFR 1.1 and 14 CFR 61.31 affect 14 CFR 61.51 might get overlooked. I also note that 14 CFR part 1 is not among the references listed.

In any case, I'm not sure that the issue of who to blame is particularly useful.

Areas of Operation:

I. Preflight Preparation

NOTE: The examiner shall develop a scenario based on real time weather to evaluate Tasks C and D.

Task A: Certificates and Documents (ASEL and ASES)

References: 14 CFR parts 39, 43, 61, 91; FAA-H-8083-3, FAA-H-8083-23, FAA-H-8083-25; POH/AFM.

Objective: To determine that the applicant exhibits satisfactory knowledge of the elements related to certificates and documents by:

1. Explaining—

a. private pilot certificate privileges, limitations, and recent flight experience requirements.
b. medical certificate class and duration.
c. pilot logbook or flight records....

Last edited:
That element covers a broad area of knowledge. I can see how some of the details of how 14 CFR 1.1 and 14 CFR 61.31 affect 14 CFR 61.51 might get overlooked. I also note that 14 CFR part 1 is not among the references listed.
When it comes to this particular logging rule, 14 CFR 61.51 is the relevant regulation, and that Part is referenced.

In any case, I'm not sure that the issue of who to blame is particularly useful.
I agree even if nosehair doesn't seem to. The problem here is getting the word out so everyone understands the FAA rules about what they require vis a vis your pilot logbook kept to meet the requirements of 14 CFR 61.51, no matter what some possible future employer might want to know about your flying experience some years down the pike.

When it comes to this particular logging rule, 14 CFR 61.51 is the relevant regulation, and that Part is referenced.

61.51 doesn't answer the question about logging PIC without endorsements unless one also refers to either 1.1, or the Chief Counsel interpretations, neither of which are cited in the PTS excerpt.

61.51 doesn't answer the question about logging PIC without endorsements unless one also refers to either 1.1, or the Chief Counsel interpretations, neither of which are cited in the PTS excerpt.
By that standard, one would have to also include Webster's Dictionary to tell us what the meaning of "is" is.

By that standard, one would have to also include Webster's Dictionary to tell us what the meaning of "is" is.

That's not a comparable situation. One doesn't need to list the dictionary as a reference when using the commonly accepted meanings of words.

That's not a comparable situation. One doesn't need to list the dictionary as a reference when using the commonly accepted meanings of words.
You mean like "maneuverability" and "stall"? How about "incident," "accident" and "substantial damage"?

Point is the the "commonly accepted meaning of words" tends, in general, to be industry/avocation-specific, no matter what the industry or avocation. When dealing with a specific endeavor, especially one that is regulated, one always needs to determine what meanings apply to it.

Aircraft and pilot "ratings" are issued by the FAA and "endorsements" exist for certain activities. Just knowing that and since they have something to do with licensing and privileges and are embodied in regulations, my very first assumption would be that those words have specific, not generic, meanings. YMMV (literally).

That just may be why there's a FAR 1.1 and 61.1 and contracts (not to mention airline job applications) tend to have sections that define the way terms are used.

By what "commonly accepted meanings of words" does "rated" mean "having a 61.31 additional training endorsement"? You've pulled one version of the definition of the term "rating" out of the dictionary, but ignored the fact that 14 CFR 61.5 clearly states what "ratings" there are, and complex, HP, TW, etc., are not among them.

Anybody out of KOLM still confused on this? Endorsement or no endorsement, if its ASEL I log PIC. Now, the only endorsement left is taildragger, but... I had this discussion years ago shortly after my PP check ride when I got some dual in a 182. No high perf endorsement at that time, but it was still logged as PIC. Never had that problem with my original CFI, however. He knew what the regs said.

...You've pulled one version of the definition of the term "rating" out of the dictionary...

That wasn't me.

...but ignored the fact that 14 CFR 61.5 clearly states what "ratings" there are, and complex, HP, TW, etc., are not among them.

Good point about 61.5.

No Ghery, it was at KTIW. I normally rent DA40's out at BFI, but their complex is getting an overhaul so I went to TIW to knock out my complex time for my commercial..I was going to fly at OLM as its closer to me, but TIW just happened to work out..still have to go back and update my logbook for the PIC time..:rolleyes:

Anybody out of KOLM still confused on this? Endorsement or no endorsement, if its ASEL I log PIC. Now, the only endorsement left is taildragger, but... I had this discussion years ago shortly after my PP check ride when I got some dual in a 182. No high perf endorsement at that time, but it was still logged as PIC. Never had that problem with my original CFI, however. He knew what the regs said.

No Ghery, it was at KTIW. I normally rent DA40's out at BFI, but their complex is getting an overhaul so I went to TIW to knock out my complex time for my commercial..I was going to fly at OLM as its closer to me, but TIW just happened to work out..still have to go back and update my logbook for the PIC time..:rolleyes:

OK. Good folks down here in Oly, as well. I've been into TIW a few times, took my IR ride out of there a couple years ago.

Back