Log out of order

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
Looking through my two logbooks (one electronic, one paper), I noticed that I forgot to log a flight in my paper logbook. Would there be any problem with logging a flight from June after a flight in August (3 pages later)?

Might look weird, but I'd like to get every hour in my book that I can.

SkyHog said:
Looking through my two logbooks (one electronic, one paper), I noticed that I forgot to log a flight in my paper logbook. Would there be any problem with logging a flight from June after a flight in August (3 pages later)?

The FAA just requires a reliable record, last I looked.

SkyHog said:
None that I can see. I have a few of those myself.

SkyHog said:

No problem, happens to me now and then. I generally put a note on the page where the entry should have appeared chronologically so I can find it if I'm looking for it. One caution, if the misplaced flight is one that's important for currency it might be considered questionable so I'd either not count it for currency or have some kind of backup proof of the flight.

lancefisher said:
No problem, happens to me now and then. I generally put a note on the page where the entry should have appeared chronologically so I can find it if I'm looking for it. One caution, if the misplaced flight is one that's important for currency it might be considered questionable so I'd either not count it for currency or have some kind of backup proof of the flight.

Good point for all flights is to keep alternate backups like hourly invoices then copy and separate locations to store.

Just out of curiousity, who will be looking at our logbooks and requiring us to prove what is written therein? If I log a flight from abc-xyz and someone doubts its validity, what can I do, assuming I have nothing else to prove that I actually was PIC on that flight? I'd hate to think that after logging 500 hours of flight time and spending tens of thousands of dollars doing it, that someone can say, "I think you're lying."

If your performance in the cockpit isn't up to par with your "documented" experience it could end badly...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FedEx_Flight_705

SkykingC310 said:
Just out of curiousity, who will be looking at our logbooks and requiring us to prove what is written therein? If I log a flight from abc-xyz and someone doubts its validity, what can I do, assuming I have nothing else to prove that I actually was PIC on that flight? I'd hate to think that after logging 500 hours of flight time and spending tens of thousands of dollars doing it, that someone can say, "I think you're lying."

SkykingC310 said:
Just out of curiousity, who will be looking at our logbooks and requiring us to prove what is written therein?
FAA Inspectors, usually after something happens to make them think that what's in your log doesn't reflect your true level of experience, typically an accident, incident, or ATC-reported Pilot Deviation. Occasionally it may stem from questionable performance on a practical test. In one case, it resulted from two pilots presenting logbooks with over 100 hours showing the same dates, tail numbers, and flight times. It may also be a court of law dealing with a lawsuit stemming from an accident.

Last edited:
Back