Log books... old school, electronic, or both?

I haven't started flight lessons but am having this same dilema. I think I may just do digital and in particular am leaning towards MyFlightBook. I use android... am considering an ipad for Foreflight, but don't want to lock myself into Foreflight or Garmin/etc and think perhaps a stand alone flightbook app is a better direction. The school I'm leaning towards going to has older instructors, so I'm a bit unsure what they'll say when I show up with that vs a paper logbook.
If I go the paper route, I think I'd want to buy a super nice leather bound one... anyone have any recommendations?

Every student goes overboard on the gear.

What you really need is a BASIC logbook (and the Jepp ones available everywhere are fine), a clipboard or SMALL kneeboard, and (eventually) a cheap headset. No fancy flight bags, no electronic gadgets, no foggles (yet), no DVDs, no calculators or "computers", definitely no "private pilot kits." You'll need a book you and your instructor settle on.

Gadgetry and other gear is a distraction at this stage. They make it harder to fly, not easier.

Gadgetry and other gear is a distraction at this stage. They make it harder to fly, not easier.

FOR SURE. I went stupid overboard on gear when I started. Not only did it make packing up or loading into the plane longer but getting all that crap setup for an hour flight was NOT worth it.

Eyes outside, if it ain't installed in the plane you don't need it. Exception headphone and a kneeboard/pen/checklist of course :).

FOR SURE. I went stupid overboard on gear when I started. Not only did it make packing up or loading into the plane longer but getting all that crap setup for an hour flight was NOT worth it.

Eyes outside, if it ain't installed in the plane you don't need it. Exception headphone and a kneeboard/pen/checklist of course :).
I think everyone does that when they start. Sporty's tries to make you do it.

I actually like Sporty's logbooks the best. Jeppesen the columns are too narrow. ASA tends to fall apart.

Any kneeboard/clipboard recommendations? I'll plan to buy just those two items for now. Eventually a calculator for taking the written, eventually a headset and maybe then a bag to put it all in (or use one I already have).

Any kneeboard/clipboard recommendations? I'll plan to buy just those two items for now. Eventually a calculator for taking the written, eventually a headset and maybe then a bag to put it all in (or use one I already have).

I got something like this. Been using it for a while now. License fits right in the pocket outside and plenty of space to put all your crap, including an E6B if you so desire.

You don't need a calculator for the written. It has one built in.

Cheap. Everything cheap. Flight training is expensive enough without the extras. And SMALL.

You will need a logbook right away.

I got something like this. Been using it for a while now. License fits right in the pocket outside and plenty of space to put all your crap, including an E6B if you so desire.

That's the same one I have. All you really need is a small clipboard from the dollar store. Some pilots only fly with a half-size notepad. Even IFR.

Keep your certificate and medical in your wallet. It's too easy to lose in a kneeboard pocket. Besides, you don't really want to scrub a flight because you forgot your kneeboard, do you?

Small clipboard from staples plus a folded sheet of paper works for me. I never liked those bulky tri fold knee boards. You'll soon learn that more is less.

Last edited:
How do you keep these small clipboards on your knee or from moving around/falling on the floor?

How do you keep these small clipboards on your knee or from moving around/falling on the floor?
Most of the stuff you'll be writing down will be on the ground. Once I was done writing down taxi instructions/IFR clearance/ATIS mine went into the side pocket of the plane.

They don't move around much unless you go for moderate turbulence.

Even landing in Santa Anas in LA, mine didn't slide anywhere, and it was bad enough for all the purple 737s going into Burbank to complain.

You can put it in a pocket or on the passenger seat if you're not using it.

I do need them while airborne, though. Gotta get destination weather, plus any restrictions. Sometimes you get those VFR in crowded airspace. And you do need charts.

I'm no expert in the variations but, as an example (@EricBe can correct me), MyFlightbook uses two types. If the CFI is registered, the system uses its own verification process. If not, it uses the simple expedient of allowing a graphic signature with finger or stylus on a tablet or phone, similar to the way you sign credit card transactions with point of sale apps like Square or ShopKeep (which, in turn is similar to what takes place with pen and paper).

Precisely. The former is actually more secure, since you can't self-sign or scribble and claim it was your instructor's signature (which, of course, anybody can also do with a paper logbook).

I watched a webinar on log books. This person explained that most will fly somewhere and at the end of the day fill in a line or two in the log book. Then years later will look at this and not see a whole lot just some lines written on a page. She then showed her log book. Each page was a flight along with pictures. She said years later you can now look back and have something to look at besides a couple lines in a book. You have a story and pics. You can not do this with an electronic log book.

Really? Absolutely can! And video too! Electronic logbooks can actually be quite good with pictures and maps and the like. And you can share them on social media too...

Because, as a solo student, you are required to carry your logbook on your cross-country flights. And remember, the FAA defines "cross country" as requiring navigation; the 50 mile limit doesn't apply here.

If your phone dies, you are in violation.

See 14 CFR 61.51(i)(2).
True, but if the phone doesn't die then you're not in violation. And I bet if you got ramp checked and you used the FAA guy's phone, that's fine. The reg says the purpose is to be able to provide evidence that you're authorized. So I think that's the key thing. (Usual disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer)

I bought an aluminum clipboard and put two fuzzy velcro strips on the back to prevent it from sliding. It has worked well and I get a full 8.5x11 area. I like being able to set it aside sometimes vs a kneeboard that can't easily be moved.

Kneeboard:

I've gone to a spiral steno pad.
- Holds a pencil in the spiral and if the whole thing flies and whacks someone in the head, we should've landed already, and we probably aren't going to be able to write down anything anyway. But it won't hurt them.
- If it falls on the floor you just pick it up. Shove it under your leg if you think it's going anywhere.
- Pack of five of them runs about $3 at the office supply store or Amazon.
- Stick pieces of paper in it on a page you're not turned to (charts, whatever) they stay in there just fine.
- Cardboard covers when folded open are plenty of support to write against.

Even the steno pad won't work in many taildraggers anyway, nowhere to put it, so if it's hot out, you're probably wearing shorts, so just scribble on your knee with a pen. Or get an old fashioned grease pencil or whiteboard marker in fine point and write on the window if you really need to write. LOL. Clean it off later. Whiteboard marker is easier cleanup, but grease pen is more readable. Pick your poison.

I still have one of those crazy leg tourniquet kneeboard things with a hard metal back and nylon cover with zippered pouches for pens and custom printed paper inserts for VFR and IFR flights, blank pages, etc. Velcro from hell on the strap to go around a leg.

-It usually ended up on the floor. Like 90% plus of the time.
- It always gets in the way when checking the flight controls for full travel unless you have a seat you can crank way down low. Yoke will hit on it on your thigh.
- And again, taildraggers... useless there too unless you like whacking your hand that's on the stick into a lump of nylon encased metal, you'll leave it in the car.

It only took me two decades to realize I really only need about $5 worth of stuff, a great headset, and a shirt I can clip a pen or pencil to.

One nice thing in one of the airplanes I fly is someone stuck some Velcro to the pillars on both sides and then bought those $0.50 open ended fake leather sunglasses cases with cotton cloth inside them, from a cheap store, and applied the opposite Velcro to the back of them... and stuck them to the window pillars.

Very nice little pouches to hold extra pens or pencils within reach of both sides of the cockpit. I may stick one of those in the 182.

No worries. Everyone buys the expensive crap and has stuff at home that looked great on the Sporty's website or the catalog, and it never goes anywhere near an airplane after they realize they don't need it.

My airplane co-owner does like his colored tab divider thing that's also spiral bound but doesn't have paper. Just plastic dividers. He puts all his printouts and such in it, along with taxi diagrams and a couple of charts if he's flying away from the local area. It also goes on the floor when not in use.

Back