Log books for checkride

jhoyt

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Jim
Any opinions out there for what we need to bring from the logs? Our club plane mechanic wants to give me xerox of last annual instead of actual books. Is this kosher for the exam? Also, would think need good documentation of all inspections--eg transponder, instruments--and also ADs.

Ideas?

My advice is to call the DPE and ask what they'd like to see. That way, there are no surprises. And if they want the books, you can tell your club A&P that it's coming straight from the DPE.

My advice is to call the DPE and ask what they'd like to see. That way, there are no surprises. And if they want the books, you can tell your club A&P that it's coming straight from the DPE.
Exactly.

Some may be satisfied by as showing that the airplane is airworthy and be satisfied with copies and printouts from maintenance recorded.

Others will want the applicant to show in Task B she knows how to find out ("locating and explaining") if the airplane is airworthy based on the actual logbooks.

(True story: after months of non-compliance, my student/private pilot applicant discovered by reviewing the logbooks for his checkride that the airplane was out of annual)

I agree with the above. In my case, I took a tabbed binder with me that had copies of all the relevant information so it was easy to show him and move on. Did the same with my logbook:

I agree with the above. In my case, I took a tabbed binder with me that had copies of all the relevant information so it was easy to show him and move on. Did the same with my logbook:

The flight school I did my private training at did the same thing with the plane log books. Very helpful to me and the examiner.

When I was an examiner I sent more than one applicant back home to get the actual logbooks. From the FAA guidance for examiners:

64. General. The examiner conducting the practical test reviews the applicant’s aircraft maintenance records, aircraft logbooks, airworthiness certificate, Federal Communications Commission (FCC) aircraft station license (if applicable), and aircraft registration to determine that the aircraft is airworthy and suitable for the practical test.

Bob Gardner

Last edited:
Back