Log book record keeping

Jamie696

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Jamie696
All the work that has been done to my airplane has been documented and signed by AP/IA. The question is to all tags that came with new equipment and the yearly AD's need to be stapled in the log book or just kept with all the records?

All the work that has been done to my airplane has been documented and signed by AP/IA. The question is to all tags that came with new equipment and the yearly AD's need to be stapled in the log book or just kept with all the records?

They are certainly better organized stapled to each page.

I don't staple mine to the logbooks, I just keep them in a separate folder until the item is replaced or overhauled and is replaced with the new tag. The yearly AD compliance sheets go in a separate folder/binder, but are annotated as being complied with in the logbook each time by specific AD#.

Cheers,
Brian

The question is to all tags that came with new equipment and the yearly AD's need to be stapled in the log book or just kept with all the records?
How you keep them is totally up to you. I'm not a fan of stapling. I usually recommended to a client to get a small zippered briefcase with dividers and keep all logbooks/records in the case organized as needed.

None of those records need to be kept.
Your lawyer would like you to keep them.
But there is no requirement to keep them.

How you keep them is totally up to you. I'm not a fan of stapling. I usually recommended to a client to get a small zippered briefcase with dividers and keep all logbooks/records in the case organized as needed.
After an item is returned to service, Why Keep the 8030-3 form?
That form is to show what was done to the item, After the Item is in service it means nothing.

Why Keep the 8030-3 form?
8130-3. Simply because when the next IA does an annual (hint :)) and questions something, you can prove where the part came from. When I did pre-buys on a regular basis, I would value a percentage of the purchase price on the extent of the aircraft records available to the buyer. It was an easy 10% reduction in price on average, excluding ultra popular models. Play it as you want, aviation is all about historical records regardless of how things are reset every annual or every regulatory 1 to 2 year requirement.

In my line of work your records either have to be impeccable or consistently sloppy. I have always chosen impeccable.

My plane with every receipt from decades and tags from equipment that replaced 20 years ago. I organized it app in a large 5” binder with tabs. I keep every receipt, tag, work order, estimate etc.

8130-3. Simply because when the next IA does an annual (hint :)) and questions something, you can prove where the part came from.
When the return to service entry complies to 43.9 That is already taken care of..

You as an A&P can not assume that the part is bogus unless you have proof.

If you stapled everything in the logbook it would be a mile high on a old airplane :D

unless you have proof.
Really? You've stated you'll make a person replace all seatbelts that are missing a tag. Or how about finding new carpeting or interior fabric in a 60 year old aircraft. Would you sign the annual off based on a 43.9 sign off under 43 App A(c)?

Really? You've stated you'll make a person replace all seatbelts that are missing a tag. Or how about finding new carpeting or interior fabric in a 60 year old aircraft. Would you sign the annual off based on a 43.9 sign off under 43 App A(c)?
Understand Physical evidence, no Tag. no compliance. this isn't paperwork

I took all I have from log books, 337s, STCs, etc and made copies, keep one full set of all 72 years of records elsewhere from home, scanned and sent a copy to cloud and on kept it on my computer, keep my second copy between books on a bookcase (decent fire protection beleive it or not) and keep the originals in fire proof safe... I know lightly off topic but hey it is POA

no Tag. no compliance.
We've already been down this road--that is your opinion. It is perfectly acceptable to the FAA to use a 8130 to verify the serviceability of seatbelts or verify the CAR3/Part 25 flame testing on interior materials. Yet you recommend discarding all 8130-3s because as you put it "there is no requirement to keep them." There's also no requirement to keep most maintenance records for than 1 year after the work is performed. Should an owner discard those records/logbooks also along with the 8130s?

The paperwork must outweigh the max gross of the airplane. Only then, is it airworthy. ;)

It might for me! Between the stack of 72 years worth of paperwork and my minuscule useful load! Lol

We've already been down this road--that is your opinion. It is perfectly acceptable to the FAA to use a 8130 to verify the serviceability of seatbelts or verify the CAR3/Part 25 flame testing on interior materials. Yet you recommend discarding all 8130-3s because as you put it "there is no requirement to keep them." There's also no requirement to keep most maintenance records for than 1 year after the work is performed. Should an owner discard those records/logbooks also along with the 8130s?
You are correct, there is no requirement to keep them.
Seat belts, Do we need to go back to that. no tag, equals to traceability, no way to tell what they are or who put them in.
get a set of BAS shoulder harness, and be done with it.
Would you pay me $50 per hour to test and varify old seat belts, If you would you can find another A&P-IA, I don't need that kind of customer.

Back