Lockheed closing 7 more AFSS centers

Once I called FSS in flight, even though I had some in-cockpit wx from my G1000. When I discovered that their METAR info was no more current than mine, I stopped calling for in-flight briefings. I have the nexrad, i have the TAFS, i have the Metars, i can watch things develop. Value added? I don't see it.

Confirmation that the data you have is right.

:yesnod:

soshulizm BAD! private enterprise goooooood. clap clap.

What used to be a govt function was outsourced to LM.

Yeahbut, it's still government funded and the vast majority of LM's revenues come from government contracts. Since it is a contract function, it is still a government function even though it's operated by someone else. It would, therefore, still be "soshulistic" in a strict sense.

Would you consider the services provided under government contract by (pick your favorite mercenary like Blackwater) to replace the troops in Iraq or Afghanistan to be "private enterprise" or "government function"?

Were we users to pay fees directly to a private entity that provides the service that is not on govt contract, it would be private enterprise.

I'm so glad they put one of those centers in Arizona, where there is so much hazardous weather.

It is a real shame everything has been so consolidated. The old briefers did indeed have a great deal of wisdom about local wx conditions. Now my 496 is as good as what I get from Lockmart, and I call to stay legal and for no other reason.

I'm so glad they put one of those centers in Arizona, where there is so much hazardous weather.

I would posit (without any data :redface: ) that is because Arizona generates a lot of FSS calls due to the large number of flight schools in the state.

Or that could have absolutely nothing to do with it. Maybe their facility lease is cheap in Prescott ;)

I would posit (without any data :redface: ) that is because Arizona generates a lot of FSS calls due to the large number of flight schools in the state.

Or that could have absolutely nothing to do with it. Maybe their facility lease is cheap in Prescott ;)
Because placing a call to a nearby city is far easier and uses less resources than placing one to a far a way location?

Don't think so. :rolleyes::D:rolleyes:

My guess is that there is a cost of labor issue, closeness to other LM facilities, and basically because people would rather live in AZ than Kankakee.

According to Avweb:Good to know that service will not suffer. Wonder why there has been a reduction in the use of AFSS?

Only a 13% reduction? And as for service not suffering, well, it's already suffered so much that it can't hardly suffer any MORE! :frown2:

I may never call for a briefing again. There is STILL a significant difference in the quality of the briefings I receive when I reach Lansing or Kankakee AFSS vs. reaching one of the big hubs.

I only call to be legal. They stopped being useful in any way when Lockmart took over.

I used DUATS a long time ago, but found I got long printouts that were less useful than the little widget thingies on my laptop.

Because placing a call to a nearby city is far easier and uses less resources than placing one to a far a way location?

Don't think so. :rolleyes::D:rolleyes:

My guess is that there is a cost of labor issue, closeness to other LM facilities, and basically because people would rather live in AZ than Kankakee.

Well I was thinking of various telephony issues and charges interstate vs intrastate, but I'm not well versed.

I have 2 theories.

1) LockMart bids. Low of course. They're accustomed to the military bailing them out so a low bid makes sense. In this case, the rise of internet wx availability bails them out, since pilots just gravitate to other sources, thus they can hit their metrics and profit.

2) LockMart bids. Low of course. They see the internet growing swiftly, and figure wx will be available at such low cost that people will naturally be migrating away from FSS briefings, so they bid accordingly.

I have 2 theories.

1) LockMart bids. Low of course. They're accustomed to the military bailing them out so a low bid makes sense. In this case, the rise of internet wx availability bails them out, since pilots just gravitate to other sources, thus they can hit their metrics and profit.

2) LockMart bids. Low of course. They see the internet growing swiftly, and figure wx will be available at such low cost that people will naturally be migrating away from FSS briefings, so they bid accordingly.

or

3) LockMart bids low of course to get the contract. They think this is going to be a big profit center for them by giving them the inside track to getting the ATC contracts when that bid opens up.

or

3) LockMart bids low of course to get the contract. They think this is going to be a big profit center for them by giving them the inside track to getting the ATC contracts when that bid opens up.

Repeat after me: It's not the base contract, it's the add-ons. The most profit is sole-source. It's not he base contract, it's the add-ons. The most profit is sole-source......

or

Eminently plausible.

When I was a student pilot I often got helped/taught when I would call the local FSS. I even got to know one guy's name, Charlie, and would ask to speak with him when I had a question. But now, I have actually had to help out the briefer a time or two re: local conditions and where things are etc. I got weather once for the Houston area when I was flying only to the hill country near Austin. I think the briefer was in New Jersey.

I guess all this to say that it's a shame that the new students don't have a REAL briefer they can count on as they are learning what the online reports are about.

Now I just use DUATS and call for an abbreviated briefing if needed.

Back