Locating the aircraft to prevent corrosion

woxof

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
woxof
We have all heard that basing the aircraft near the ocean is bad. I was told that one should be at least 5 miles away from the salt water over the long term for corrosion prevention purposes.

What have you seen corrosion-wise when it comes to places like Florida or other coastal airport and the effect on aircraft.

Seen horrible corrosion on Florida beach aircraft. Just walk the flight line somewhere like Flagler Beach Fl. Rust buckets all over. Take my Velocity. Bought it from Velocity and it sat on the ramp at Sebastian for a year. Had to replace all the wing attachment bolts and the inside of the cylinders were a rusty mess. Had to get it overhauled 3 years later.

So yeah, having lived in FL and seen what salt water can do, I’d be very cautious about buying or operating an aircraft there.

I believe it's more a matter of care than location.

There is lots of older cars in Florida that seem to do just fine. I park mine outside. No doubt it’s bad for the paint and interior (and possibly avionics) but I see no rust, and I’m within 5 miles of the ocean and park within 100 yards of a river with tidal flows. My plane lives in a hangar, but others seem ok if flown semi regularly.

Tom

Anti corrosion treatment is well worth the money in any humid location.

Kenmore once had an old beaver that had in excess of 25,000 hours, always on floats, always in salt water. it looked new inside and out. care = 100 hours and total corrosion treatment.

and several total rebuilds.

Back