Local rental rate trends?

HouTxPilot82

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
HouTxPilot82
Curious what people are seeing in their own areas for aircraft rental rate trends. Over last 2/3 years ... have they been mostly flat? going up? I live in Sugar Land (Southwest Houston) and the closest/most reliable place for me (where I also did all of my PPL training) has been steadily climbing. I started and finished my PPL in 2014 (April to October). Towards the end of my training the fuel injected 172 SPs (with 180hp) I rented went for:

~$108/hr dry + ~$42/hr for fuel = total $150 or so wet. Most of my training was in this range, climbing up to around $155 at times.

Since then, the fuel portion has obviously gone down, and today's rates are: $124/hr dry for the exact same planes + ~$32/hr for fuel.

They have a 172N model (carb, 160hp) that has seen the dry rate go up from $84.50 in mid 2015 to $98 today. So the cheapest 172 I can rent here is now $130/hr...

These planes get flown a lot - it's hard to even find open spots when the weather is nice and I want to take one up.

With fuel prices decreasing, all the rentals should have decreased, but demand has increased.

Curious what people are seeing in their own areas for aircraft rental rate trends. Over last 2/3 years ... have they been mostly flat? going up? I live in Sugar Land (Southwest Houston) and the closest/most reliable place for me (where I also did all of my PPL training) has been steadily climbing. I started and finished my PPL in 2014 (April to October). Towards the end of my training the fuel injected 172 SPs (with 180hp) I rented went for:

~$108/hr dry + ~$42/hr for fuel = total $150 or so wet. Most of my training was in this range, climbing up to around $155 at times.

Since then, the fuel portion has obviously gone down, and today's rates are: $124/hr dry for the exact same planes + ~$32/hr for fuel.

They have a 172N model (carb, 160hp) that has seen the dry rate go up from $84.50 in mid 2015 to $98 today. So the cheapest 172 I can rent here is now $130/hr...

These planes get flown a lot - it's hard to even find open spots when the weather is nice and I want to take one up.

I did my training in 2014 as well, at the time, $98 wet for the VFR cherokee, $113 for the IFR cherokee with a 430, IFR 172 (no GPS) $113 as well. This past year, they all went up $5 an hour.

All I remember was 22 years ago I used to rent a basic IFR 172 for $37.50 an hour wet.

And today, that would be AWESOME!

All I remember was 22 years ago I used to rent a basic IFR 172 for $37.50 an hour wet.
Boy that's dusting the cob webs off, I think it was between $35 to $40 for a 172 for me 22 years ago....:)

Our clubs hourly rates have only increased by $5.00/hr in the past 10 years.

Boy that's dusting the cob webs off, I think it was between $35 to $40 for a 172 for me 22 years ago....:)

I found an old price sheet a while back for a 150 that went for some tiny number that made me sad. LOL. And an old CAP rate sheet that was dry for proficiency flights that said something crazy like $35/hr for a T-41B.

100LL was just over a buck. Maybe a buck fiddy.

Think when I started at the aero club at Osan AB Korea in '74 a C150 was $10 and CFI was $5. You could buy a block of 10 hours and get it down to $9/hr.

Around here now a 152 is 115, 172 is 145, and they have a PA28-140 at 145. This is at the flight school nearby.

Flight School where I rent at currently Charges me..
$169/hr wet for
  • PA28R-200(Arrow II)
  • Mooney M20J
  • C-172S (G1000)
Gas at RDU is $7.00.:eek::eek2::mad2:

Thinking about a a flying club 35mins away from where I live, which has
3 172S non G1000 for $119/hr wet
2 M20J for $175/wet
1 M20S for $231/wet

decisions, decision....

Mooneys in a club, that'd be cool. What is the other costs of the club (initial buy in, monthly dues etc)?

Mooneys in a club, that'd be cool. What is the other costs of the club (initial buy in, monthly dues etc)?
If I buy in to fly the mooneys, then my up from cost breaks down as..

Aircraft Deposit: $1200 [Gives me access to Mooneys, C-172SP, Warrios PA-28, and Cessna 152]
Application Fee: $ 200
First Month Due: $ 65

Total that all up will be $1465 and then $65/mnth afterwards.. In the grand scheme of things, really not bad.

If I buy in to fly the mooneys, then my up from cost breaks down as..

Aircraft Deposit: $1200 [Gives me access to Mooneys, C-172SP, Warrios PA-28, and Cessna 152]
Application Fee: $ 200
First Month Due: $ 65

Total that all up will be $1465 and then $65/mnth afterwards.. In the grand scheme of things, really not bad.

Thanks frank. Yeah not bad at all and a good selection of planes to fly. The one I'm in process of joining has 2 Archer IIs, $1000 initial, $85 monthly dues, and $100/hr tach time. I figure if one can average 2-3 hours a month over a year say, then it's a little cheaper than rental rates around this area, and their planes are in a lot better condition than rental. Both planes have Garmin 430s so that will be something to learn for me as all I have experience with is FMS when I was at the airline. Wish they had a selection like that one though.

Thanks for the input everyone - in between my initial post and all the responses, the rental rate just went up another $2/hr for all the planes :D

Thanks frank. Yeah not bad at all and a good selection of planes to fly. The one I'm in process of joining has 2 Archer IIs, $1000 initial, $85 monthly dues, and $100/hr tach time. I figure if one can average 2-3 hours a month over a year say, then it's a little cheaper than rental rates around this area, and their planes are in a lot better condition than rental. Both planes have Garmin 430s so that will be something to learn for me as all I have experience with is FMS when I was at the airline. Wish they had a selection like that one though.
Selection is good... I dont think I would want any part of the 150... I can see myself in the mooney's the most and the 172's as well... warrior's maybe...
The club planes above are definitely in better shape with a mix of 430, 530, 650 and 750... Stil contemplating... Going to knock to accelerated IR first. Then make decision..

Thanks for the input everyone - in between my initial post and all the responses, the rental rate just went up another $2/hr for all the planes :D

Lucky. That's below the official rate of inflation for this year by half. :)

I hear you... Do you think it was fuel related?

Not fuel related - this is an increase in just the dry portion of the rate - the fuel portion shows the same.

Lucky. That's below the official rate of inflation for this year by half. :)

There does seem to be a new club that has opened up that is not 45 minutes away for a change. Of course there are monthly dues of $225 - considering it... I don't really fly as much as I need/want to, and perhaps committing to the spend would in some way encourage me to go up more often.

I can't really say how much it has changed. Considering I've only been flying for about a year. However, the club I rent from is $50 a month and $60/hr dry for a PA-180. The paint isn't that great, but $60/hr dry isn't bad IMO.

Back