Local Pilot Critical

tmyers

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Tim Myers
I was just about to post that. Did one more search before I did and found this thread.

Didn't know the guy, but I've sat in 06W before. I wonder how the DPC's going to handle this.

I know Kent. Really nice guy. Sure hope he recovers fully.

As for the cause of the accident, who knows? News reports of aircraft accidents, as we know, are consistently awful. So even though the linked article says he radioed the airport to tell them he was running out of fuel, who knows if that's actually how it happened. Will be interesting to follow. Who knows, could have been a fuel leak or broken fuel selector or something. An Archer with full tanks (obviously don't know if that was the case) certainly has enough range for that flight.

Too early to speculate.

(Also, to be completely accurate, "fuel starvation" means there's fuel on board but it can't get to the engine. "Fuel exhaustion" on the other hand, menas "you ran out of gas.")

Keep us apprised of details as they become available.

Hoping your friend has a speedy recovery.

Last edited:
I don't know Kent personally and I think he joined up with DPC about the time I was purchasing my Arrow, but as part of our local flying community and with his excellent involvement in the Aviation Education of young people I am sure hoping we don't loose him.

I have looked for updates on his condition but have not found any. The latest is 3 hours old and still lists him as critical.

Read a report that Kent is on a ventilator but is trying to breathe on his own which is a good sign. Same report however says he is showing signs of some brain injury. They do not know the extent. An unsubstantiated report from a local source says he has not regained consciousness since the accident.

I know Kent. Really nice guy. Sure hope he recovers fully.

As for the cause of the accident, who knows? News reports of aircraft accidents, as we know, are consistently awful. So even though the linked article says he radioed the airport to tell them he was running out of fuel, who knows if that's actually how it happened. Will be interesting to follow. Who knows, could have been a fuel leak or broken fuel selector or something. An Archer with full tanks (obviously don't know if that was the case) certainly has enough range for that flight.

Too early to speculate.

(Also, to be completely accurate, "fuel starvation" means there's fuel on board but it can't get to the engine. "Fuel exhaustion" on the other hand, menas "you ran out of gas.")

In a Cherokee you have to switch tanks to keep balance. That would rule out a broke fuel selector. If one realized it was broke, one could always divert to an airport to have it checked out. There are several airports along that route.

Fuel leak? Again, if one noticed a fast decreasing fuel quantity, a diversion to an airport is only minutes away.

Fuel starvation is still a major problem in GA and unfortunately is attributed to pilot error.

We have had pretty good winds out of the south in the Memphis area (Covington is a few miles north) for the last few days. I understand from local news he was flying here to attend a funeral and had flown from the Dayton, OH area. With the winds we have been having, it would have been on his nose. It sounds like he just misjudged the fuel. Maybe wasn't leaning enough, who knows. I hate it for him, though, and hope he recovers fully. It never hurts to stop, take a potty break, grab something to drink and top off the tanks. Let's all resolve to not let this happen to any of us here -- stop and top off.

We have had pretty good winds out of the south in the Memphis area (Covington is a few miles north) for the last few days. I understand from local news he was flying here to attend a funeral and had flown from the Dayton, OH area. With the winds we have been having, it would have been on his nose. It sounds like he just misjudged the fuel. Maybe wasn't leaning enough, who knows. I hate it for him, though, and hope he recovers fully. It never hurts to stop, take a potty break, grab something to drink and top off the tanks. Let's all resolve to not let this happen to any of us here -- stop and top off.

:yes:

Wow, landed his plane in a field and swam across a river to get to the crash site. Then performed first aid that clearly kept the pilot alive. Wow.

All the best to the incident pilot and his family.

Rick Finney's actions are to be celebrated - and I think that is an understatement. If I ever meet him, I'm going to buy that man a dinner at his favorite restaurant.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back