Local newspaper editorial supports historic KVUO (Vancouver WA)

Pilawt

Final Approach
Santa Rosita State Park, under the big 'W'
Display Name

Display name:
Pilawt
Just across the Columbia River from Portland OR and KPDX, Pearson Field (KVUO) in Vancouver WA (my home field until just a few years ago) is one of the oldest operating airfields in the country. Over the years it has survived efforts to close it down or severely restrict operations, but now the Vancouver Columbian has published an editorial in strong support of the airport and its economic benefit to the community. https://www.columbian.com/news/2022...earson-field-plays-role-in-growing-vancouver/

For more on the history of this beautiful little airport, see https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2005/september/pilot/field-of-influence

Screen shot 2012-06-17 at 12.44.51 PM.jpg

Last edited:
If you go there, make sure you understand the charts and the implications of FAR 93, subpart N. Those ATC guys at PDX are dead serious about Pearson's "Special Airport Traffic Area" status.

I was lucky enough to have a desk in a job trailer overlooking the runway about 15 years ago. I’d look up the tail numbers as they flew by. Got pretty good at identifying the planes within a decade or two.
There was a sleek black plane I never quite figured out though. Would tear down the runway in ground effect and then just rocket up!

There was a sleek black plane I never quite figured out though. Would tear down the runway in ground effect and then just rocket up!
I'm guessing that was Greg Howard in his G200 aerobatic airplane. Greg, who is also the avionics tech at Pearson, flies professionally in air shows around the Northwest. He is a five-time Northwest Regional Aerobatic Champion in the Unlimited category and former member of the US National Aerobatic Team.

Greg-Howard 600.jpeg

I was lucky enough to have a desk in a job trailer overlooking the runway about 15 years ago. I’d look up the tail numbers as they flew by. Got pretty good at identifying the planes within a decade or two.

Unless I am not understanding things correctly, I don’t think he could rocket up very far due to the airspace rules. Were the rules different there 15 years ago when this was observed?

93.163(C)(1) When operating over the runway or extended runway centerline of Pearson Field Runway 8/26 maintain an altitude at or below 700 feet above mean sea level.

Just across the Columbia River from Portland OR and KPDX, Pearson Field (KVUO) in Vancouver WA (my home field until just a few years ago) is one of the oldest operating airfields in the country. Over the years it has survived efforts to close it down or severely restrict operations, but now the Vancouver Columbian has published an editorial in strong support of the airport and its economic benefit to the community. https://www.columbian.com/news/2022...earson-field-plays-role-in-growing-vancouver/

For more on the history of this beautiful little airport, see https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2005/september/pilot/field-of-influence

View attachment 106998
Getting homesick?

If you go there, make sure you understand the charts and the implications of FAR 93, subpart N. Those ATC guys at PDX are dead serious about Pearson's "Special Airport Traffic Area" status.
So uh, did you get snarled at?

Unless I am not understanding things correctly, I don’t think he could rocket up very far due to the airspace rules. Were the rules different there 15 years ago when this was observed?

93.163(C)(1) When operating over the runway or extended runway centerline of Pearson Field Runway 8/26 maintain an altitude at or below 700 feet above mean sea level.
Yeah. That was before the Rule. The 1100 C Floor has been there all along though. You could get things approved by PDX Tower before departure.

View attachment 106998
The Columbia River Crossing started getting back in the news a few months ago. I wonder if talk about that is what triggered this article.

Yeah. That was before the Rule. The 1100 C Floor has been there all along though. You could get things approved by PDX Tower before departure.
Thanks.

The one thing I find a bit funny about regs such as that one is that they put the runway numbers in the reg. So in the future, when the magnetic heading is no longer correct and they change the runway numbers, the FAA will need to change the regulation as well. Not sure if that was the best way to write it.

Thanks.

The one thing I find a bit funny about regs such as that one is that they put the runway numbers in the reg. So in the future, when the magnetic heading is no longer correct and they change the runway numbers, the FAA will need to change the regulation as well. Not sure if that was the best way to write it.
Meh. Doubt that would be a big deal. Even if they made the change to the FAR it would be pretty easy. It would be a I forget what they call it, but it would be one that wouldn’t require public comment and it could be done quickly. Or maybe they just don’t change the Runway number. There are lots of Runways out there that don’t stick to the magnetic thing. Specially at airports with parallel runways. Or they’ll just say it ain’t really no thang anyway. If some clown zips right on up through 700 and tries to play the Runway Number card, the cat in the long black robe with the big wood hammer will say ‘bailiff, whack his pee pee and throw his azz outta here.’

Yes, it was different. The Part 93 area was created only about five or six years ago. Until then, the area below the 1100' Charlie shelf was a Class D -- the only Class D in the country without an operating control tower in it.

The below-700' notation was in the A/FD for a few years before that, as well. But operationally it was only a thing when PDX was using runways 10L/R, and the jets pass over VUO on the glideslope right about at VUO's pattern altitude. Taking off to the west the jets are much higher by the time they pass VUO's pattern.

Yes, it was different. The Part 93 area was created only about five or six years ago. Until then, the area below the 1100' Charlie shelf was a Class D -- the only Class D in the country without an operating control tower in it.

The below-700' notation was in the A/FD for a few years before that, as well. But operationally it was only a thing when PDX was using runways 10L/R, and the jets pass over VUO on the glideslope right about at VUO's pattern altitude. Taking off to the west the jets are much higher by the time they pass VUO's pattern.

Interesting info. Thanks!

Back