Local A&P or Avionics.... Who can install this?

Read the last page of the installation instructions and tell me.

I saw that but it's still ambiguous as APs and Avionics techs are both " mechanics", are they not?

I saw that but it's still ambiguous as APs and Avionics techs are both " mechanics", are they not?

FAA doesn't certificate avionics technicians.

In general, Airframe certificated mechanics can install avionics, instruments, etc.

Why not ask your ap what he thinks. If he agrees to do it.....put it in. Do you honestly think anyone will care? I would probably not even enter it!

Wow...that's crazy. How can someone working on something so instrumental, pun intended, not be required to hold a license? And why am I paying them, $70/hr to boot!

I asked here because I won't see my AP for another month and won't bother calling him when his shop is full, like it is now.

Wow...that's crazy. How can someone working on something so instrumental, pun intended, not be required to hold a license? And why am I paying them, $70/hr to boot!

I asked here because I won't see my AP for another month and won't bother calling him when his shop is full, like it is now.

Let me be clear, read part 65 and you won't find avionics. Avionics are covered by Airframe rated mechanics.

Only thing I can think of that an airframe mechanic can't do under their certificate for avionics is transponder inspections required by part 91.

Sure there are airframers that won't touch avionics. Most have no desire ot chase wires and prep & pin connectors

Last edited:
Why not ask your ap what he thinks. If he agrees to do it.....put it in. Do you honestly think anyone will care? I would probably not even enter it!

Not logging maintenance, and installing the clock is maintenance, is a blatant disregard for the regulation. Installing a clock is pretty trivial as far as instrument installations go, and any airframe mechanic should be willing to do it for maybe an hour's worth of labor (including a legal logbook entry.)

You do need an Airframe rating to install or replace (but not internally repair) most avionics. I used to do it on the side for extra money when I lived Downstate. For the thing you want installed, you don't even need an IA to sign off on it. It's a minor alteration. All you need is a logbook entry.

You shouldn't have any trouble finding someone to install that. It's easy coin.

Rich

Cool. I'll add it to the list!

Cool. I'll add it to the list!

That is a pretty sweet unit BTW. Be sure you communicate exactly what you want to the installer. Many times there are optional features that are never installed/connected/activated because of miscommunication or not understanding what all a gizmo can do.

EI panel mounted clock. Takes up a standard size hole. I want my AP to install at annual, but can he legally?:dunno:

You, your local Subaru mechanic, your local newspaper boy, ANYBODY can install it. The Airframe mechanic (the A of A&P) is a requirement to sign it off in the logbook.

Why not ask your A&P if he would consider supervising owner installation. You'd be a whole bunch happier if you knew how your own airplane worked.

Or fly it out to California and I'll take a look at it for you :yesnod:

Jim

I'm wondering how difficult it will be to find any A&P who will want to cut into the transponder wiring as required by the installation directions. Letting the blue smoke out of the transponder could get expensive, and make the owner ****y.

I think I'd simply send it over to the AV shop to get this installed.

Remember when any thing goes wrong it is always the A&P's fault.

I'm wondering how difficult it will be to find any A&P who will want to cut into the transponder wiring as required by the installation directions. Letting the blue smoke out of the transponder could get expensive, and make the owner ****y.

I think I'd simply send it over to the AV shop to get this installed.

Remember when any thing goes wrong it is always the A&P's fault.

I'd do it easy. The super clock just needs the altitude info from the encoder. No biggie. The encoder my even have multiple outputs and one might be vacant.

I'd do it easy. The super clock just needs the altitude info from the encoder. No biggie. The encoder my even have multiple outputs and one might be vacant.

I would have never thought it'd take 9 wires to send altitude data from the encoder to the transponder.

When you find that after installation the transponder didn't work, would you buy them a new one? Even when it wasn't your fault?

Last edited:
I would have never thought it'd take 9 wires to send altitude data from the encoder to the transponder.

After the installation of the super clock, the tail strobe doesn't work who's fault is it?

It wouldn't if there was say RS232 on both the clock and the encoder.

Here is an Aerospace Logic and replacing an old Cessna clock I installed in a friend's 177B.

Here is when I rewired everything FWF. (Old airplanes have **** old wires you know?)

EI Fuel Flow I bought used off ebay (didn't really save any money on that one because I did buy a brand new transducer)

Did it all with one hand and a hook. I did get some help tying lacing cord tho. :rofl:

Last edited:

You aren't cutting into the wiring, Tom. You are simply making a straight extension from a male DB-15 to a female DB-15 and bringing out the encoder wires on one or the other in addition to the extension wire. I can see half an hour to an hour to fab one and the odds of letting out the holy smoke are way down the list.

Jim

Well, the data is binary (off or on, nothing in between) and if I did my math right 2^9 is 512 possible combinations. As I vaguely recall, altitude is sent in 100 foot increments, so you have sea level to 51,200' possible. HOWEVER, the Feds, in their infinite wisdom, have globbed it up by using Gray Code, which limits it a bit.

Jim

I've mounted and wired a transponder and encoder before but that was back when I had two hands so not nearly as impressive.

Did it all with one hand and a hook. I did get some help tying lacing cord tho. :rofl:

Plus your hook works wonders as a valve spring compressor. Something a hand can't do.

Plus your hook works wonders as a valve spring compressor. Something a hand can't do.

That was a fun day. Not so much for flying /maintenance expenses but still fun.

You aren't cutting into the wiring, Tom. You are simply making a straight extension from a male DB-15 to a female DB-15 and bringing out the encoder wires on one or the other in addition to the extension wire. I can see half an hour to an hour to fab one and the odds of letting out the holy smoke are way down the list.

Jim

Really. You don't even have to touch the existing wires. You just plug them in to your home-made adapter.

Rich

Back