Living the dream,... my Blog

I was there yesterday just after lunch (12:45ish). I think I left to head back to N10 at 1:30 after doing my trips around the pattern.

My instructor did an engine out test on my way back from my York Dual XC. We departed LNS and were flying over Morgantown, and she pulled the power. I didn't think she would have me go all the way in, but she did, and it was great landing and taking off their grass field.

I'm training at Perkiomen (N10), so Smoketown is about the same as far as runway, just without the trees on approach. Those other's sound good though, I'll put them on my "Places to land" list. Ever land at Butter Valley Golf Port? That's tough. I rolled out and just had to touch the grass to turn around. I think that's 25x1500 paved prior to the grass portion...

Last edited:
My instructor did an engine out test on my way back from my York Dual XC. We departed LNS and were flying over Morgantown, and she pulled the power. I didn't think she would have me go all the way in, but she did, and it was great landing and taking off their grass field.

I'm training at Perkiomen (N10), so Smoketown is about the same as far as runway, just without the trees on approach. Those other's sound good though, I'll put them on my "Places to land" list. Ever land at Butter Valley Golf Port? That's tough. I rolled out and just had to touch the grass to turn around. I think that's 25x1500 paved prior to the grass portion...

Nope, haven't been there yet -- sounds like a fun place to stop!

A good CFI always has a grass strip somewhere in the "practice area" for those sneaky engine-out drills.

:)

Unfortunately, some FBOs are forbidding ops on grass strips. Seems a bad deal, since turf is easier on an airplane than pavement.

It's beautiful country from Harrisburg east and northeast into western NJ -- with lots of fields in various stages of cultivation.

Where I fly and instruct now (Western PA, WV) the Alleghenies are just to the east. Flying that way I'm always a bit more careful to suggest/choose IFR or VFR routes that keep us close to airports.

Back