Living the dream,... my Blog

Rob Schaffer

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
CLR2TKF
After posting a few threads on the results of my lessons, I received a few PM's that I should start a Blog,... never did one before so I looked at the various other people here on the POA that have them. I've followed Purdue's mostly, and Gary's is always a nice read,.. so I signed up with Blogspot and started one.

Lessons are going well, and they are becoming more frequent now since my schedule has been adjusted.

See the link below, and feel free to comment.

Thanks!

Updated tonight after my first introduction into the darkness. Wow, what a cool feeling. Solo is getting closer, especially after tonights landings and radio work.

WTG Rob. I believe that flying at night is the best time of all. Continued success on earning your ticket to learn.

Yeah, but that "We Love U Daddy" is the best of all!

Thanks guys. The new job is really going well and the regular flight training schedule is nice too. My family has been really supportive of both my job change and my flying. I'll owe my wife a really nice calm flight to Ocean City or up to State College when I'm done,.. for a nice get-away from the kids.

Last edited:
Recieved the "Pre-solo" quiz today! Next week might be the BIG DAY!

After a nice flight in some gusty winds today, things are going really well and even I am happy with my progress. My feet were working hard today, but it was well worth it to get those X-wind landings right.

More on my site! :goofy:

Way to go Rob! Crosswinds at N10 are a definite challange. Not a lot of margin for error.

Thanks Lee...

Yea, the first time, I was off to the left, over compensated as the wind seemed to slow,.. and started towards the Tiger! :hairraise: Actually, It wasn't quite that bad, but the first landing I did go from Left, to the right just near those planes tied down, and then landed with the left wheel nearly on the grass off the left side again. Next two landings were much better. I stayed to the left of center and by the time I touched down I was on the centerline or just to the right. I crabbed much longer on those two, which made me feel much better about the winds. Those gusts could really throw you just when you thought you are comfortable.

Received my license plate for my car tonight,... Maybe it's a sign for this weekend :)

Attachments

• CLR2TKF.jpg
    CLR2TKF.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 20
Yeah, but that "We Love U Daddy" is the best of all!

I have to agree, if that just don't make ya melt.

Rob,

I like that snoopy "let's go fly" where did you find that decal? Thanks for the kudo's on the blog, I really enjoy writing and getting feedback.

I had a vinyl graphic person off Ebay make the snoopy. You can scale it to any size you are looking for. I think it was 2.00 or something close to it.

Ally likes to go to the airport with me, and I'm sure she'll be comfortable going up in the plane sometime after some small "let's get aquainted with the airplane" trips to the airport. I read a good article one day at work about getting kids acclimated to the flying environment, hoping they'll like to go with me.

Bella isn't as excited when we go to the airport to watch the planes, but the noise doesn't seem to bother her much. She didn't want to sit in the plane though, where I could barely get Ally back out ;)

Now, my wife is another story. It's going to be a challenge to get her comfortable in the plane, let alone in the air. She said I have to be sure it's a super calm day if I'm going to take her up for the first time. I'll have to find a place to take her so it's something special, more than just flying around the local area. I don't know how she would do in the C152,.. I think she's going to be more comfortable in a 172.

We have an 04 Gray Mazda 6 Sport Wagon,.. really nice for taking the kids and all their stuff :D The 6 Coupe must be nice too, cause I love the way the 3 handles.

We have an 04 Gray Mazda 6 Sport Wagon,.. really nice for taking the kids and all their stuff :D The 6 Coupe must be nice too, cause I love the way the 3 handles.

I have the 6 hatchback. Mazda done good with these cars. You might be able to beat me around a corner, but I bet I'll take you off the line :D;)

Looks like the weather is cancelling my flight here tomorrow morning. I've rescheduled for Tuesday after the winds pushing this front through are expected to calm down. My instructor said we may go to a towered airport and then back, so that would be nice. First time I'd be outside the practice area except for my flight to LNS with my Mentor this holiday. I bumped up the time to 4pm,.. hoping that if we do that flight and get back in time, I'd have a chance to solo ;) Since the time changes to DST this Sunday, I'll get a little benefit from that too.

Well, tonight I flew in some heavy winds and gusts, but it was a good flight and empty skies out there. Flew over to NorthEast Philadelphia (PNE) for some experience talking with a Tower in Class D. Great evening, 1.1 Hrs. More with photos in my blog.
:blueplane:

Flew my first Dual XC tonight,... 140 total Miles, and full of cool experiences and learning. Landed at my first Grass field too! Read all about it on my blog and see photos.

Here's a mug shot of my instructor and I,... :goofy:

Attachments

• BarbandI.jpg
    BarbandI.jpg
    230.6 KB · Views: 27
Quick trip over to N10 tonight, 2 landings dual, and then 2 landings SOLO! Second Solo tonight, next up,.. starting to plan a dual Night XC to Atlantic City!

Last edited:
Sorry, was supposed to say that I had my Second Solo TOnight. Next up, I"ll be doing my Dual Night XC to ACY.

Barbs great. Patient, yet strict,... learning a lot.

NIGHT XC to Atlantic City COMPLETE! What a great night it was too, CAVU, light winds, and great lights.

Philadelphia Let me through the Bravo airspace, even though we had some transponder trouble,... my landings were smooth, just not on center at ACY. I wonder how I can hit the centerline at N10 (28 feet wide or so) but land almost 10 feet off at ACY, which is HUGE! I landed on RY 31, which is like 10,000 feet,.. I could land, stop, and takeoff, and land again on that ! (no, we didn't try,.. )

More on my Blog!:blueplane:

No flying this weekend :( My instructor wasn't around, and the winds were to much for them to let me fly solo this weekend. Saturday was really nice, but winds 350 @12,... 2 knots over my crosswind signoff. Today I tried a 2pm timeslot, but the clouds rolled in last night and even though the winds were 080 @ 8 (so I would use RY9) the ceiling was 2200-2500 feet. Wings was reporting winds 070-090 @11 G 16. So no go decision was made, and we cleaned the house.

Trying for Tuesday to get some solo and some dual time in if I can.

Great night of testing and a good evening of flying. Did a little free-flying tonight with my instructor, She would pick and airport, and I had to go there. Land,.. and she would pick another. All ones I haven't landed at before :)

Here's the route,... Full story on my Blog.

Attachments

• April8Flying.jpg
    April8Flying.jpg
    428.7 KB · Views: 15
Some solo time tonight, and a first lesson with Hood work. Great night to be up flying though here in the Philadelphia Area, looking forward to more days like this.

It was neat at first,.. then pretty boring. It's going to be a long 3 hrs of Hood, but I understand the importance of it. I was within test standards, so we did some VOR tracking, then she would tell me to intercept another radial for a different VOR (Modena, East Texas, Pottstown) and I'd intercept that. That was more challenging than I thought, but I maintained headings, standard rate turns, and altitude throughout. Those standard turns seem so slow,... so we tried 45 deg steep turns to the Left and Right for something different. I needed some refresher on them anyway, but I do so much better when not under the hood on those. There's a cowl screw I can hold on the horizon the full turn and I don't loose any altitude,... I only hope there's a clear day on the checkride if we do steep turns.

I'm going to fly again Saturday morning, then I'm meeting up with the NE flyers and heading to Milville, NJ for a lunch run. Should be really nice weather. Gary M is picking me up at N10, will be nice to meet him and his wife.

Rob

Nice. At least one of us is flying this weekend. Heh. Me....Im driving to an aviation seminar. Supposed to rain here this weekend. :(

Flew my Solo XC today to Hazelton! Great trip, learned a bunch too. I'll post more details on my blog, and maybe in another thread here. Good learning experience, and really proved to myself that I can do everything I'm supposed to be doing.

:goofy:

Here's my write-up from today....

I've been preparing for my Hazelton Solo trip, and today happened to be the day. I called Abe at the airport to see what the availability was for today or tomorrow to make the trip. He wanted to have the plane back in time for the VF Cadets to have their lessons on Wednesday,.. so, that meant I had to take off work if I wanted to get this trip in this week. So,. quick look at the weather, a check-in with my department mangager, and next thing I knew I was calling Abe telling him to get good ole-48392 ready and I'll be there at 1pm. Called Flight Service and got my breifing. Things were looking great to the north, but a lower ceiling was moving in from the south, with broken clouds at 4700, overcast at 8000, expected to have scattered/broken clouds at 5000 after 1700 Z. Visibility was good, and winds at 3000 feet were 15 knots from the south,.. giving me a good Tailwind on the way up, but a headwind on the return leg.

I arrived, and talked with Abe about the conditions. He had the plane topped off and ready, so I began my preflight. Felt more real today, being a pilot and having the full responsibility for everything to go right,... I continued to arrange the information I needed in the cockpit and mounted my Yoke Clip. Good startup and runup, everything was looking good. I taxied back runway 9 and held at the end, double checking everything before I departed. Made my calls on the radio, and off I went, barreling down the runway in my aluminum can looking for 60 Knots.... Smooth Takeoff, good extended centerline,... climbing out to 1000 feet.

I turned north to heading of 348 Degrees, and continued climbing for 3000. Leveled off at 3000, I easily see the Green Lane Res but I'm closer than I should be,... so I adjust slightly to the left. Shortly after I see Butter Valley Golf Course off my nose (had to dip it a little to see it). Right on course, parallel with Butter Valley's Runway, or so I thought.
rolleyes.gif

Next checkpoint was Doe Mountain Ski area,... hmm,... should be here any second now..... looking left,.. looking right,... I see the small town of Alburtis to my right,... hmm,.. should it be that far right?
redface.gif
I'll continue on my heading to my next checkpoint, not that far away. Continuing, I shortly found myself slightly out of place. I saw an airport to my left, a few miles out, on the edge of a town. To my right, I could easily make out the city of Allentown,... so I'm between them, which is good, but not where I'm supposed to be. I've drifted left of my intended course. I decided to circle the town to my left, as it has an airport and a big water tower, so maybe there will be a name on one of them. Sure enough,.. Kutztown University!! How did Heck did I get all the way over here?!!
eek.gif
Man, what a mess,.. I followed the highway east, looking for my interchange and the East Texas VOR,.. found them after a minute, I wasn't that far off,.. but good thing I stopped to circle and verify my position, cause it would have made a mess if I didn't. (Lesson No. 1 - Know where you are, don't go to far without double checking your position)

Set myself up on my heading, and thought about the winds,.. I need to compensate more to the East,... heading up to the next checkpoint, I nail it,.. Rte 309 crossing the mountain with a nice radio tower marking the crossing point. Good,.. I have about a 10 degree crab angle in, should be good now. Continued to my next checkpoint without a problem, passing Arner Meml (22N) airport out my right window. I could now see Hazelton in the Distance, beyond my next checkpoint. Listened into AWOS, winds variable between 170 and 200 at 8,.. Peak gust 14. Hmm,.. back to the Hazelton Frequency,.. no one was flying in the pattern or landing there. (Keep in mind, my Cessna 152 only has the original radio, with one Comm) I overflew the numbers of 28, and was surprised to see that the airport is just South of a large drop off the mountain. Turned downwind for 10, and could feel the wind pushing me out,... turned base,... then final,.... flaps at 20 degrees and a good established crab, 30 degrees flaps, power mostly out,... Flare,... and touchdown. Good landing, little high on the flare. I floated a little bit due to the power, but the wind was bumpy, so I felt more comfortable this way. I think I touched down at the white precision bars,.. farther than I wanted, but it was a safe landing. Taxied in, and then back down. There were a bunch of guys working on some Ag-Wagon type aircraft, looks like for Forestry applications, and a few business jets. Stopped on the taxiway at the hold short, and shuffled things around for my return trip.

On the way back, I was going to use the East Texas VOR, to the Pottstown VOR, and get flight following from Allentown. Checking my Frequency lists, and setting the radial in the CDI, I then taxied back on RY 10 to the end. Took off on RY 10 with a crab to the south to maintain runway heading,... reached 1000 feet and turned into the wind still climbing. After reaching 3000,... you can feel the headwind and it was much bumpier this direction. Updrafts,... Down drafts,.. it was keeping me busy. I found 3500 a little better, and leaned out the engine. Allentown Approach was pleasant and gave me a squalk for Flight Following. There wasn't much traffic around today, just a plane here or there. A Bonanza and I were given traffic alerts by Allentown, and we each saw each other. He was heading to the Northeast, and crossed in front of me at 3000 feet or so, a few miles ahead. Soon, I started tracking the Pottstown VOR, and then I canceled flight following when I saw the Green Lane Resovour a few miles directly off to my left. They let me squalk VFR and told me to have a good day,... Boy, I was! This was great.

Over the prison, I called Perkiomen and reported 3 mile to the North,.. hmm,.. something's not right. Oops,.. I was still on Pottstown-Limerick's frequency (122.7) as I was checking which runway they were using. Winds were Variable at 5 Knots. (Lesson No. 2 - FRET --> Frequency, Runway, Entry to Pattern, Throttle) Switched over to 122.8, called up Perkiomen for a Downwind entry for Runway 9. Came around, made a nice full stall landing on the centerline! Better than at Hazelton, but the winds here were pretty direct and calmer. Pulled up to the tanks and shut down,.. Abe gave me a thumbs Up from the hangar, and I began to cleanup the cockpit from my stuff.

Abe and I then chatted for a few minutes, which was cool, cause he can seem a little rough around the edges every once in a while, but today he was the greatest Airport Manager in the world, letting me go Flyin! I gave a PIREP to another pilot who was about to depart to Syracuse, NY. He decided to go back in and file an IFR flight plan on DUATs, since I cruised back at 3000 with cloud bases at 3900-4500 feet.

Checked the tanks with my fuel guage, 6.5 Gal Usable in the Left, 6.0 Gal Usable in the right. + 1.5 Unusable = 14.0 Gallons remaining. I checked them with my guage when I was preflighting, and we had 12 Gal Usable per tank usable, or 25.5 Total. Burned 11.5 Gallons on this trip,.. little higher than I calculated at 9.8 Gallons, but I was running a higher throttle on the return leg into that headwind. 1.7 Hrs on the Hobbs, all PILOT IN COMMAND
biggrin.gif

Attachments

• HZL Landing.jpg
    HZL Landing.jpg
    681.2 KB · Views: 11
  • Off Track SoloXC.jpg
    Off Track SoloXC.jpg
    693.7 KB · Views: 10
Finished up my night requirements last night, and did some more Hood work. Landed at Brandywine PA,.. and saw this awsome sight out the cabin while taxing back,.... a V-22 OSPREY! The lighting on it was cool... definitely going to return there after I get my certificate and check out the helicopter museum.

Passed the written test yesterday with a mediocre 83%. It wasn't as difficult as I thought, and there weren't as many calculations as I expected there would be, but I still Passed. Would have been nice to see a score in the 90's though.

Got some flying in as well yesterday afternoon for 1.3 Hrs of solo practice in some bumpy weather and cross-winds. I feel comfortable with my flying,... need to get my long Solo XC done sometime in the next few weeks. I'd like to complete that by Memorial day if I can.

Congrats on the written Rob. Sounds like you'll be a licensed PILOT soon. ENJOY and FLY SAFE
Dave G

Played Hookey from work today, and completed My Long XC to University Park, PA. I wanted to get back there for a long time, to long actually. I graduated from Penn State in 2002, so it was neat to see the campus from this perspective. While on this trip, I then flew to Lancaster to visit Airways. Since it was such a great day, I flew in the pattern there to complete my Three towered landings as well!

So much fun today, very good time!!

Full story on my blog, with photos and video soon. :goofy:

Attachments

• 2-UNVrefuel.jpg
    2-UNVrefuel.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 7
  • 2-Stadium.jpg
    2-Stadium.jpg
    236.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 2-AirwaysRamp.jpg
    2-AirwaysRamp.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Nice. I skipped work one day to finish my x/c requirements.

Sounds like it was a great experience for you.

Played Hookey from work today, and completed My Long XC to University Park, PA. I wanted to get back there for a long time, to long actually. I graduated from Penn State in 2002, so it was neat to see the campus from this perspective. While on this trip, I then flew to Lancaster to visit Airways. Since it was such a great day, I flew in the pattern there to complete my Three towered landings as well!

Rob -- when were you at LNS?

I was there with a student for his first dual XC last week and once this week -- he wanted to go to Airways Pilot Shop and buy up all sorts of pilot gear.

Funny thing is -- in 1987 when I was a lowly teacher and part time enlisted guy in the Air National Guard (I also coached and drove a school bus), my wife earned some $$ helping clean the Airways offices etc every other Saturday.

Kinda neat to fly there now...B)

Back