Living a Slightly Different Dream... (Long)

Abram

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Abram
At the front end, I need to confess that this thread is a shameless take off on LD Jones’s fantastic thread, but I really wanted to share my story with the group in the hopes that some of you will be inspired.

My background is that of an accountant and lawyer, but I started a Human Resources Outsourcing company about 25 years ago and have been working on growing it and my industry since then.

Although I have been flying for over thirty years, for the last twenty years or so, I was flying to support my business and for personal travel. I had my Private Pilot Certificate along with Instrument and Multi-Engine Ratings but never saw the need to go further because I had no intention of requiring anything more. I was always active in charitable flying, doing trips for Angel Flight, Challenge Air for Kids and Friends, Vital Flight and lots of Veterans Airlifts, but despite always dreaming of doing it, I never flew professionally.

Over the years, I went from owning and operating two Piper Aztecs and a Piper Saratoga, which were owned with partners. Around 2005 or so, I purchased a Piper Meridian which I owned and operated on my own. As much as I loved the Meridian, I decided that my mission had changed a bit and I needed something a bit faster and that could carry more. After looking at all the options, I settled on an Eclipse. I went about finding the right airplane, purchasing it and doing all of the training required for the Type Rating.

When Congress passed the law changing the ATP requirements, several of my aviation friends said that they planned to get the ATP because, even thought they had no intention to use it, it would be much harder and more expensive to do in the future. Moreover, the checkride was going to be exactly the same as the checkride they had already passed for theType Rating, so they figured they could handle it. I thought that the logic made sense and I decided to go for my ATP.

Of course, that also meant that I had to get my Commercial License. I studied for my Commercial and ATP written exams for about a month and passed just before the deadline. I figured that would buy me some time to do the checkrids and to get my license.

At my next recurrent for the type rating, I told the FAA examiner that I wanted to do two separate flights over two days and to make the first day my Commercial checkride and the second day my ATP checkride. He agreed and, sometime in February of 2015, I received my Commercial and ATP Certificates.

Very shortly after that, the instructor that had done my training for the Eclipse Type Rating called me up and asked if I was available to be SIC in a Phenom 300. His usual SIC was unavailable, and even though he was Single Pilot Typed in the airplane, the owner prefers two pilots. I did that trip and had a great time. He started calling me for additional trips for a couple of different owners in a couple of different airframes, including as SIC in the Phenom and PIC in an Eclipse.

After a few months, the owner decided to upgrade to a Embraer Legacy 500 and my instructor became the Chief Pilot. We talked about me becoming the full time second pilot, but decided that my business schedule, while flexible, was not flexible enough to allow for me to take that position full time. As such, he brought in another retired airline pilot that he had flown with for years to be the other full time crewmember. However, he also recognized that he needed a third crewmember that could be available when needed and I was perfect for that role. So he brought me in to be the backup and I got an SIC Type Rating in the Legacy 500.

I was getting some good contact work, as PIC in the Eclipse and SIC in Phenoms and the Legacy, and did some very cool trips. Needless to say, I got bit by the bug pretty bad. I started to network and reach out to operators regarding my services as a Contract Pilot.

However, the contract work is very hit-and-miss and if you say “no” more than a couple of times, you fall pretty far down the list! In addition, it often resulted in three and four day trips away from home, which was not sitting well with the family.

So, about a year ago, I started looking around at other options that would allow me to continue to run my business, have a family life and still get some consistent flying. Obviously, not an easy thing to find. But the networking paid off and one of the contacts told me that he was working with a Part 135 company that conducted Air Ambulance flights and they needed more South Florida pilots. After discussing it with him at great length, including my need for flexibility, we agreed that the opportunity would be a really good fit for me. After meeting the Chief Pilot, the owner and the Director of Operations of the charter company, we all decided to move forward.

Accordingly, last December, I shipped off to Flight Safety International to get a Type Rating in the Citation V Ultra! Although not my first Type Rating, the others were done in the airplane and the programs were designed around my schedule. This was the first time that I drank from the proverbial fire hose.

The first four days were all systems and we covered anywhere from two to five systems per day. At the same time, as I was trying to digest all the technicalities of the systems, I spent evenings working through checklists, memory items and aircraft limitations. Sim time started on Day 6. My training partner and I started at about 0500 for the debrief, did two sim sessions and did performance for the remainder of the day. My sim partner and I took turns starting in the left seat for the first session and then switched seats for the second session of the day.

Two weeks went quickly and soon it was Checkride Friday. The Practical exam was challenging and really required us to know our systems. The examiner would pick a system and drill down until he found an area that we couldn’t answer to truly test the depth of our knowledge. But it was very much a conversation about aircraft systems and we learned a lot from the experience.

After that, it was off to the Sim for the ride. I was the first checkride in the left seat while my partner served as SIC. The ride lasted about two hours and, after a short break, we switched seats and did the second checkride. The examiner was quick to point out that just because I was done in the left seat, it didn’t mean I was finished. I was still getting graded on my performance from the right seat! I am happy to report that I survived the day and got my Type Rating issued.

Because it was a 135 Operation, I also had to get Indoctrination training and Computer Based Training completed prior to being permitted to fly. Indoc took about a week and the Computer Training took about another three or four weeks to complete with almost full time effort. The entire time that I was doing the training, I was getting calls from the company asking about my progress because they really needed me on the line. After finally completing all the training and advising the Director of Ops and the Chief Pilot, I got lots of congratulations, but no schedule!

Of course, about three weeks later, they finally got me on the schedule. My first week on duty there was only one flight and, through a scheduling error, the flight was given to another FO. However, last week I was on, and there was a flight every single day. Most of the flights occur at night and, since I work a full time job, I often ended up getting a call after a full day of work. It had been so long since I had been in the Citation that I really felt like I was behind the airplane. However, after about 30 minutes int he airplane, it all started to come back to me.

As tiring as it is, the work is incredibly gratifying. We work closely with medical crews and carry passengers with all kinds of medical conditions, as well as organs for transplant. It is great to know that I am able to help individuals and their families get help when they need it most.

On top of that, I am still doing some of the contract flying that I was doing for the clients that I had before. So far, the hard part is that my real job is getting in the way of my aviation career! I clearly need to learn how to balance my workload on weeks that I am on call so that I can make sure to get enough sleep. By far, finding time to sleep is the hardest part of this job.

Through this incredible adventure, I have had the opportunity to learn an amazing amount about flying airplanes and I have flown with a number of great pilots, all of whom have different styles but all of whom taught me something. I have gone to great destinations and had the opportunity to explore them and to have once in a lifetime experiences. I have also had the opportunity to help people in dire medical condition and to sleep in pilot lounges for a couple of hours before turning around to go home.

I have no idea how this will develop and whether or not I will be able to keep all of the balls in the air for an extended period of time, but I will say that so far it has been an amazing experience. I am glad I pursued the opportunity and I wouldn’t trade it for anything.

Abram Finkelstein
N48KY

Congrats, Abram! It's great to see you be able to do fun and rewarding flying for business, personal, and professional purposes.

Amazing that you are able to do that! Good for you and great story!

As rare as pilots are in general, the subset of pilots who can afford to own their own jet for personal flying and fly professionally has to be infinitesimal!

Very cool Abram.

(Edited because apparently autocorrect thinks your name is Adam. Grrr. LOL.)

Last edited:
3 words Nate?! ;)

Yeah that long post probably wore you out lol.

Abram sounds like you're tempted to go full time in the flying gig and have the contacts to do so. From the sounds of it looks like corporate aviation and 135 operations will be needing pilots in the near future. Try to land one that gets you home every night if you decide to make the jump. Good luck.

Last edited:
Thanks for the positive feedback! It has definitely been a fun experience.

3 words Nate?! ;)

Abram sounds like you're tempted to go full time in the flying gig and have the contacts to do so. From the sounds of it looks like corporate aviation and 135 operations will be needing pilots in the near future. Try to land one that gets you home every night if you decide to make the jump. Good luck.

I was very tempted to go full time, but I am actually pretty happy with the mix that I have right now. I do overnights on some of the other contract jobs I do, but the reason that I liked the air ambulance gig was that overnights are very rare. I have had many trips that cross days, but I don’t have many true 3 or 4 day trips. As much fun as I have exploring new places and hanging with the crew, it is great to be home most nights!

Abram Finkelstein
N48KY

Great story and gives me hope for opportunities once I age-out of 121 flying. If I’m still having this much fun flying jets four years from now, I’ll definitely be looking for some kind of flying gig.

Assuming I can survive another fire hose experience!

Around 2005 or so, I purchased a Piper Meridian which I owned and operated on my own. As much as I loved the Meridian, I decided that my mission had changed a bit and I needed something a bit faster and that could carry more. After looking at all the options, I settled on an Eclipse.
I think you just defined "first world problem".

As for the rest, you're hitting paydirt. Well done

I appreciate the positive feedback!

I am still having fun with all of the flying gigs, even though it is really work!

Great story and gives me hope for opportunities once I age-out of 121 flying. If I’m still having this much fun flying jets four years from now, I’ll definitely be looking for some kind of flying gig.

Assuming I can survive another fire hose experience!

I suspect that you will be just fine, Captain Jones! I look forward to flying with you in the not so distant future!

I think you just defined "first world problem".

As for the rest, you're hitting paydirt. Well done

I agree with you completely! I am a very lucky guy and am thrilled that I can be doing what I am doing and living a life long dream. It just doesn’t get better.

For those out there that are contemplating it and are in a position to do it, give it a shot! What do you have to lose? If it is terrible, you can always stop!!

Abram Finkelstein
N48KY

For those out there that are contemplating it and are in a position to do it, give it a shot! What do you have to lose? If it is terrible, you can always stop!!

Abram Finkelstein
N48KY

Financial stability, wife and kids, house, car...

If you play a county song backward you get all of those back. :)
This a rumor promulgated by a small sect in Memphis. The reality is that if you play a country song backwards all you get is a backwards country song. Sorry.

DenverPilot does listen to country he listens to “chill hop”

Current country music is very close to being pop and/or rock music. I still have Hank Sr, Merle, Patsy Cline, and my favorite, Waylon, on my iPod. But I also have The Beach Boys, Ventures, Dion, Metallica, 60s soul, Chile Peppers etc also. Really everything and anything but rap.

Current country music is very close to being pop and/or rock music.

Unfortunately that is very true. I can't listen to the modern country stations much these days.

And I can't even find the motivation or time to finish my Instrument rating, impressive.

Financial stability, wife and kids, house, car...

Hence the caveat "in a position to do it". It's not for everyone, even if they have the passion to do it. On the other hand, if there's a will, there's a way...

Very cool, @Abram! And don't feel bad about the shameless takeoff of @LDJones' thread, it's one of the best on PoA, and I've really been wanting to see something similar around a more 135 or corporate type of experience. I'm looking forward to what you'll share in the future! :)

Hey, all.

Sorry that I haven’t been updating this post, but between running the business, the flying and some personal travel, it has been a really busy couple of months!

However, I wanted to post my impressions of my first few months on the schedule! First and foremost, being an “On Demand Charter Pilot” means that you are On Demand! So for that week that you are on the schedule, you are on call 24/7. And for Medevac flying, for some reason, almost all trips happen in the middle of the night.

I have to admit that I totally understimated that aspect of the job. It is much more stressful to try and have a normal work week knowing that you may or may not get a call at 10 p.m. to be at the airport for a 10 hour duty day that starts at midnight! After my first week on, I realized that I needed to totally adjust my days to try and get more rest during the day so that I could make it through the nights.

However, I will say that the flying has been incredibly rewarding to me. I have always done volunteer flying for Veterans Airlift, Angel Flight, Challenge Air and Vital Flite, so I really like the way that this job dovetails into that passion of mine.

So far, about sixty percent of my flying has been transporting organs for transplant. Sometimes, we just have to go pick up the organ and bring it back to the home airport for pickup. Sometimes it involves taking a medical crew to the location to harvest the organ and we bring the med crew and the organ back home.

My very first trip was to pick up a liver in La Fayette, LA and to fly it back home for transplant. The trip was uneventful and we were able to deliver the Liver without incident bright and early the next morning. As fate would have it, my father-in-law was very ill and was in the same hospital for whom we did this flight. My wife and her family were with him at the hospital and my wife happened to here that he was on the same floor in which they keep the transplant patients. She asked one of the nurses and was told that there was a transplant going on right at that moment. My wife told the nurse that I had flown that organ for the transplant.

The remaining forty percent of the flying is transporting patients with various medical conditions. Some of them look like they are in pretty good condition while others are clearly in bad shape. One of the most compelling trips that I have done thus far was moving a young man from Florida to New Jersey.

My wife and I were getting ready to a really nice dinner on Miami Beach for the South Beach Food and
Wine Festival. We had been looking forward to it for weeks and, as we were walking out the door, I got a call from scheduling. We had a trip come up and I needed to be at the airport within an hour. I broke the news to my wife who was clearly not happy, but actually took it pretty well. I changed into my uniform and left for the airport.

That night there was a system moving through the northeast and everything was minimums or below. Our best option was Atlantic City, so that was what we planned. When the patient and med-crew arrived, I was surprised to see that he was a very young man and that he was totally unconsciously. I just kept thinking that he was about my son’s age. I started talking to his father and the med-crew and learned that he had been walking down the street and was hit by a car. His parents and siblings came from Chicago to see him and his condition deteriorated over two days. He was essentially brain dead and they wanted to get him home to die peacefully. I texted my wife to tell her about my patient and her response was that this was well worth skipping the Wine and Food Festival. We launched and got our patient were he needed to go, but landed at minimums when we arrived. It was extremely gratifying to complete that mission without any issues and I still wonder how the story ended for that family....

I have had a fair amount of domestic flying, but there is a lot of international flying, as well. So far, I have done lots of Caribbean trips, but we do Central America, Canada and Mexico, as well.

Anyway, that encapsulates my experience so far: The good, the bad and the ugly. There are definitely great aspects to doing this job but it comes with its share of challenges, as well!

Abram Finkelstein
N48KY

Congrats Abram, on achieving your mission...one that embodies the passion of both helping others and doing something you love. Quite incredible when a person is able to find that in life.

ps....please keep it up. After some of these Dam fly-ins, a few of us may need livers. :)

Back