Listen to AirVenture ATC online

Kate,

Are you going to be at the Able Flight arrival ceremony at 1000 on Monday? How about the AF flight party Tuesday? I'm planning on being there unless the Screw Desk really makes it hard.

Mitch

Wow. Those guys are GOOD.

Good thing I'm not planning to fly into OSH itself this year...I'm not good enough yet.

This is so cool! Now all we need is a webcam viewing the runways and we could really be there.

I can't wait to drive up tomorrow AM.

I flew with my daughter up to KOSH on July 4, and the dots were already on the runway. Very cool place. I can't wait to fly into AirVenture some day.

Fisk approach is "up", but you can only hear the aircraft, not the controllers.

Jim

Hmmm... I though that the aircraft were not supposed to... ummmm... talk?

Glad you like it! A big thanks to the volunteers for helping us out and making it a reality.

Those controllers are amazing indeed.

I'm just getting continous buffering...

Is it my settings?

Can't connect - stupid company firewall!
BangHead.gif

I can hear one of the two feeds on the main site but I don't hear anything on FISK. Main site has ATC sequencing, assigning colored dots and telling planes where to turn off.

I can hear one of the two feeds on the main site but I don't hear anything on FISK. Main site has ATC sequencing, assigning colored dots and telling planes where to turn off.

Surprisingly, the location of that feed is about two miles from the field, but the FISK approach transmitters may be located off site somewhere further away, so we're not able to pick up any controllers. We'll have to look into where those are for next year's AirVenture.

Surprisingly, the location of that feed is about two miles from the field, but the FISK approach transmitters may be located off site somewhere further away, so we're not able to pick up any controllers. We'll have to look into where those are for next year's AirVenture.

They have aerial photos on this page that show exactly where the FISK "shack" is.

http://www.airventure.org/atc/vfr_approach_control.html

I could be wrong, but that sure looks like antennas on poles to me on the right... notice the cable coming out of the box and snaking up the pole:

fisk_new_trailer2.jpg

Back in that part of the relatively flat world, antenna height means everything. The accepted formula for "radio range" is

r = sqrt (2*(h+H)), where r is range in miles H is the AGL height of the transmitting antenna in feet, and h is the AGL height of your antenna in feet. If your antenna is 100' AGL and theirs is about (guessing from the poles on the right), then your max range to receive Fisk is about 15 miles from their antenna.

If, on the other hand, you both have equivalent 10' antenna height, then range is about 6 miles. That may explain the "dead zone" you are hearing.

We've used all sorts of funky things to get antennas up into the breeze, all the way from large kites being flown with tiny coax cable lead-in to weather balloons with the same tiny cable as tether.

Dunno what your situation is back there, but I'd be happy to work with you gratis on some sort of antenna system for next year's show.

One of the BEST ways to insure perfect reception all the way around is to sweet-talk the UW-O folks into letting you rig up a radio system in the student lounge on the top floor of Gruenhagen Residence Hall on the river side. We could clearly hear Madison Tower and such from that vantage point...I think they are something like 300-400' AGL on the top floor...again, at 400' AGL range should be something on the order of 28 miles, but if the tower has its antennas on top of another 400' tower you've got a good chance of hearing 40 miles down the road.

Jim, your post reminds me of a Kitplanes article I read a while back on how to make an antenna for ground ops, any relation to the author? If so, thanks, it sure has made my listening from Camp Scholler fun this year, in fact Fisk approach came in loud and clear! (Although soldering with a battery powered iron did not work out so well. Oh well, vice grips worked great:yes:)

Tim Gibbs

The 120.7 antennas are in fact at the FAA trailer at Fisk. If you just punch "Fisk, WI" into google maps, the pin ends up pretty much right where the trailer is (County FF, just north of 44). Fisk Ave is the "east-west road" used for the approach to 36L/R, and the trailer is on the top of a small hill just north of the railroad tracks.

The 120.7 antennas are in fact at the FAA trailer at Fisk. If you just punch "Fisk, WI" into google maps, the pin ends up pretty much right where the trailer is (County FF, just north of 44). Fisk Ave is the "east-west road" used for the approach to 36L/R, and the trailer is on the top of a small hill just north of the railroad tracks.

Interesting, will pass the info along and will try to find a good location for the feed next year.

SHHHH! DHS just added your name to the no-fly list. :D

I thought so...Thanks again, my "WeirdJim" antenna is working well.
Tim

Which one did you build? Sometime over the last twenty years I've written three base station antenna columns in KP. One was a "J" made out of half-inch water pipe, one was a classic ground plane made out of copper wire stripped out of romex and fastened to an SO-239 connector with solder lugs, and one was a vertical dipole in 3/4" PVC water pipe using 1/2" copper tape on wooden dowels as the antenna elements.

Jim

I built the one from the June 07 issue. 1" PVC cap with a UG-1094 BNC and 5 pieces of brazing rod. One out the top and the other four crimped into 3/8" crimp lugs and all screwed together to the PVC cap. Unfortunately I did not have time to do the soldering prior to arriving at Osh, so I picked up one of those battery powered soldering irons. These may work for light electronics, but did not get hot enough to solder into the BNC connector, so I used Vice Grips and just crimped the rod into the lugs. It made a great difference in reception, in fact I am sitting here now, having a beverage, and listening to the mayhem of departures and arrivals.

I must say though, when I have the antenna up, people sure look and stare!:dunno:

Tim

Well...I may just have to build the other three! Looks like I need to dive back into my Kitplanes archives.

SHHHH! DHS just added your name to the no-fly list. :D

Bah! Like I care. I've successfully avoided the airlines since 2005. Every trip since 2003 (hey, that happens to be the same year I got my private...) that I could make via GA, I have made via GA. Philly, Key West, Houston, the UP, Kentucky, Gaston's, Kansas City, you name it - All GA. That's why after about 600TT, I already have 135/ATP mins for instrument time, actual IMC, and night. It won't be much longer before I have the 500 hours of cross country as well (remember, I only have 600 TOTAL so far!).

So, DHS - Do me a favor. Put me on the no fly list. Then I won't be able to have some underpaid lemming make me take my shoes off and frisk me. I won't be able to sit on the tarmac for 7 hours with overflowing toilets. I won't be able to sit in the terminal for hours due to a "weather" delay while a team of A&P's fixes a beat-up airplane. I won't be able to get crammed into a tiny seat built for someone half a foot shorter than me and have the person in front of me repeatedly try to crush my knees before they realize that they just won't be able to recline on this particular flight. I won't be able to spend $20 for a burger and a glass of water in the terminal at my layover. I won't be able to wait 45 minutes for my bags to appear at the baggage carousel, and that much again at the rental car counter.

Gee, what am I going to do with myself? I couldn't stand to miss all that. :rolleyes: :blueplane:

Wow. Those guys are GOOD.

A-freakin'-men to that. There is very little room for error, and if you read all parts of the NOTAM you'll see how they stack the ultralights at 1100 feet (300 AGL), helicopters and departures at 1300, slow inbounds at 1800, faster ones at 2300, the seaplanes go under the warbirds, etc... The whole thing fits together like a puzzle, so the controllers really have to be on their toes when something unusual happens. With this concentration of traffic, the unusual isn't so unusual. Those controllers are incredible! :yes:

Good thing I'm not planning to fly into OSH itself this year...I'm not good enough yet.

Jay,

Just read the NOTAM. If you can do that, you're better than about 40% of the people I heard on Tuesday. :mad:

Hey Kent, did you see the DHS Citation out behind the Federal pavillion? Every time I went by there the only people around it were guys in desert camo with DHS patches. It was like....no one wanted to talk to them...LOL...:rofl:

So, DHS - Do me a favor. Put me on the no fly list.

Glad you like it! A big thanks to the volunteers for helping us out and making it a reality.

I just finished designing and building a very portable antenna for last Saturday's CAFE 400 event and would be happy to send you a preprint of the article that is due out in Kitplanes December-January coming up.

I can also send you some of the unobtanium parts if you want to try and build one. Basically, it is a foil dipole on wood dowel inside of a PVC water pipe radome fed with a coax split tube balun. It sounds harder to build than it really is. Takes about an hour to build one from scratch.

The unique thing about this one is that it has a hook in the top so that you can take a fishing sinker and fishing line, toss it over a high tree branch, hoist the sucker up into the sky, and viola, a wooden mast as high as you can toss the sinker.

You MIGHT just be able to pick up FISKE next year! :cheerswine:

Jim

Back