Linux conversion old XP laptop...

Discussion in 'Technical Corner' started by Bell206, Oct 31, 2019.

1. denverpilot

denverpilot Tied Down PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    DenverPilot
    Just talking about the build quality. Not the necessary hardware updates to keep up with bloatware that doesn’t do anything new. LOL.

It’d be nice if someone just brought back real keyboards and not crappy chicklets.

2. denverpilot

Display Name:

Display name:
    DenverPilot
    True.

But a smaller/leaner distro kinda sucks if you’re looking for a full blown Windows/other desktop replacement. :)

At least dual boot or VM it, if you’re Linux-curious. LOL. VirtualBox is free... :)

3. flhrci

flhrci Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    David
    I agree. I am converting over to Linux. I am working on finding the desktop that I like the most. Its more responsive than Windows on same machine.

David

denverpilot likes this.
  4. Chip Sylverne

Chip Sylverne Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Fear is the poison of our lives.
    The only thing I would caution is if you choose Ubuntu, go with an LTS distro. The development releases can get broken by automatic updates.

denverpilot likes this.
  5. flhrci

flhrci Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    David
    I think I am settled on Fedora and KDE. Not set in stone however.

6. denverpilot

Display Name:

Display name:
    DenverPilot
    The quest for the perfect desktop never ends on Linux. LOL

I played around with keyboard only ones for a while. (At the time that was “ratpoison”, there’s better ones now...)

Weird but very fast if all you do is open terminals for command line work. Could also pop open a browser of course and that was the only time your hands left the keyboard.

Because of the right hand trouble, today I was playing with OSX Voice Control. It works for most things but it won’t control a terminal properly.

(“Select previous three words” works in Terminal, but “Delete that” from the selection or any delete command simply pushes backspace once. Terminals like iTerm ignore all the selection commands completely. So it looks like voice accessibility is completely broken for command line use. For other applications just as a trial I was able to slowly do pretty much anything including mouse stuff with “show grid” and “select [grid number]” and “click [grid number].., etc. pretty neat. But the terminal control being busted is a major problem.)

Be interesting to compare and contrast accessibility stuff between them all.

I was also looking at various ways to type fast with one hand, but the best “chording” keyboard for that apparently went under in a flurry of patent BS, low sales, and egos. Too bad.

Can build similar one handed setups for much more expensive programmable keyboards or there’s even a one handed “language” keyboard map for Win10 for either hand, but not OSX.

Anyway researching it has been enlightening. Haven’t researched Linux yet, but did see a similar one handed keyboard map is available on many distros.

7. flhrci

flhrci Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    David
  8. denverpilot

Display Name:

Display name:
    DenverPilot
    An oldie but goodie...

9. denverpilot