Likelihood of Spin in Power-On Stall

Yeah, it can be scary the first few times with max power... throw in a turn to simulate a typical departure stall (climbing out of the pattern on a new heading, or changing heading right after takeoff to go "straight out") and it gets scarier. But it's pointless, IMHO, if you don't get near max power. Even without the prop effects, it's different from power-off stalls. The ratio of thrust to everything else is different; the wing behaves differently.
The key, for me, to doing them right is "feet on the horizon, keep the ball in the right spot, and move the wings with your feet." I think Sparky was right about the offset ball when you have lots of power... but of course you don't want to be staring at the ball when doing this stuff. Give me a yaw string any time... :D

I agree that the falling leaf exercise is brilliant for honing those skills... likewise, turning stalls without recovering straight and level: let the stall start, then release a little back pressure to stop it, while continuing the turn. That will also wake your feet up, keep you thinking about the angle of attack needed for the airspeed and wing load, and keep you from doing anything stupid with the ailerons when the wing is not flying very well. For some reason, I was never taught that kind of turning stall "R&R" until I started flying gliders, but it works in any plane, and the goal is to not let a full stall develop, anyway, so it's a useful exercise.

Reminds me I should take spin and UA training so *I* worry less about such things. :)

I was just thinking I will start doing stalls on my own as something to do during flights to expand my boring straight and level envelope, but reading about the 152 guy who got into a spin, maybe not.

My best recommendations for stall practice:
* Coordinate with your feet
* Ailerons neutral
* Don't do it at 500AGL

Beyond that, find out how much it takes to get out of a spin in the plane you're flying. Get some unusual attitude and/or spin training in that plane if it's rated for spins/utility category. It will help you fee more comfortable.

In a power-on stall, as you all know, you add a significant amount of right rudder to compensate for the left-turning tendencies while holding aft elevator to hold a high attitude and induce the stall. I'm hesitant to add so much aft pressure to the yoke for fear the plane will suddenly enter a spin, as it seems I am holding the correct configuration for spin entry.

Nope, if you give it enough right rudder to center the ball, and leave the power on during the stall (like you should) your stall will be somewhat coordinated and the airplane will not want to spin at all.

Some people say "practice to proficiency" .. I say practice till its fun

My best recommendations for stall practice:
* Coordinate with your feet
* Ailerons neutral
* Don't do it at 500AGL

Beyond that, find out how much it takes to get out of a spin in the plane you're flying. Get some unusual attitude and/or spin training in that plane if it's rated for spins/utility category. It will help you fee more comfortable.

In another thread, the legal VFR cross country altitude rules were reviewed. I think it said "except for turns" I need to obey them. Does this mean I have to practice stalls at a low altitude such as below 3,000 feet AGL? Many CFI's have asked me to "sprinkle in" one or more manuevers each flight - that way when I have a BFR in two years I won't go "oops forgot how to do that one."

You can pass through VFR cruising altitudes when climbing or descending. A stall is a descent right?

Just make sure you are in airspace away from high traffic areas, airways. Clear and visually scan the area before you begin maneuvering. Be alert for traffic, and throw in a clearing turn once in awhile. You can even get flight following while maneuvering. You might say "xx approach, Cessna XX is 20mi south of the podunk VOR, maneuvering between 3000 and 5000 feet, request traffic advisories"

The advice to 'sprinkle in' is good

Last edited:
> It wont do a full on spin unless you continually hold in a lot of
> back elevator and rudder.

True for the trainers. Less true as you move up the food chain.

Yet even with the meek trainers; I feel strongly that the student & CFI should do a
full stall series at/near the aft CG limit. The experience will be "different."

> If you relax just a bit it will pop out.

Yes, but ... pop-out into a very steep spiral, with increasing airspeed. Unless the
student acts promptly and smoothly, this could be worse than the spin.

Again; as pilots move into slicker or faster aircraft, the margin of safety is squeezed
further. Mission *relevant*, re-current training is always a good idea.

Last edited:
I would suggest you go up with your instructor and do a simple exercise that I bet will alleviate your fears: Approach a straight-ahead power-on stall, but do not use any right rudder to keep the ball centered. Pull the yoke completely aft, stall the airplane, and let the left wing start to drop. Immediately apply right rudder to stop the left wing from dropping, immediately followed by unloading the yoke. Immediately neutralize the rudder and fly away.

You can use this to your advantage, as well. During my private training we did all stalls flying straight ahead. During the check ride the DPE asked for a stall from a banked turn (she didn't specifiy which direction). I knew the 172 liked to drop the left wing in a stall, so I turned right, stalled, caught the wings level with right rudder as the left wing dropped and recovered from the stall. Never practiced it in advance, but it worked like a charm. Give it a try. Fun.

In another thread, the legal VFR cross country altitude rules were reviewed. I think it said "except for turns" I need to obey them. Does this mean I have to practice stalls at a low altitude such as below 3,000 feet AGL? Many CFI's have asked me to "sprinkle in" one or more manuevers each flight - that way when I have a BFR in two years I won't go "oops forgot how to do that one."

That rule only applies to cruising. Doing stalls, I think, is pretty clearly not cruising.

That rule only applies to cruising. Doing stalls, I think, is pretty clearly not cruising.

Wouldn't do it in the traffic pattern but otherwise what's the difference?

A power off falling leaf stall series from altitude down to a reasonable AGL to stop the maneuver is as valid a way to descend from "cruise" 15 miles out of a remote airport as is shoving the nose down to Vne with the power in. :)

If my aircraft were allowed, I'd spin down 3000' once in a while just to do it. :)

What is this "cruise" you speak of? A contrived name for level flight between two points.

Aviators operate in three dimensions and we don't have to take the shortest distance between two points (including vertical maneuvers) if we don't want to. ;)

If I'm out tooling around VFR, I don't need to fly airliner style "flight profiles". Really. :)

Back