Lightspeed PFX vs. Zulu.2: Any PIREPs?

LDJones

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
Jonesy
I see they have another promotion on the PFX. I'm curious if anyone has gone from the Zulu.2 to the PFX? I love my Zulu.2s, so have no compelling reason to upgrade other than the usual "there's something newer out there" itch. I've heard the control box is much larger, which to me is a bit of a downside. Any other observations or personal experiences to report?

I have Zulu.2 now and I can tell you from the demo of the PFX at Osh that they are much better. But not so much as to be worth paying 1k for a new set. If for some reason I needed to buy a new set then I would likely pay that money.

I have Zulu.2 now and I can tell you from the demo of the PFX at Osh that they are much better. But not so much as to be worth paying 1k for a new set. If for some reason I needed to buy a new set then I would likely pay that money.

Interesting. I still have a pair of 30Gs I could trade in to get a second and let my wife use the Z2s.

Interesting. I still have a pair of 30Gs I could trade in to get a second and let my wife use the Z2s.
I demoted my 30G to the right seat when I got my Zulu and recently won a passive david clark for one of the back seats so I could trickle down one more but I don't fly with a full plane often enough to justify it.

I have all three, 30-3G, .2, and PFX.

I got the PFX thinking I'd like them, but IMO, they are not worth the extra bucks for most average pilots. I keep going back to my .2's and find them more than adequate for my type of flying.

The PFX digital features are interesting since the oversized control box is really a digital signal computer with lots of available tweaks. And the potential to upgrade the firmware should Lightspeed invent a better mousetrap wheel. But the size and weight of the box is very unwieldy and the cord distance from box to bayonet plugs is too short (won't reach my kickpanel pouch in the Skylane).

The PFX does have an iOS app that permits features like fine tuning what you're hearing and recording what is heard and broadcasted. But with us already overloaded with apps to use in flight, it's something that gets backburnered and not used very quickly.

The PFX cables are reinforced with Kevlar. Jay H. likes that since he has cut his older headset cable a few times with the sliding canopy of his RV-8a. But for me, it doesn't add to the value.

Is it quieter than the .2's? Possibly on the measuring device, but for my ears, I can't tell any difference.

Is overall sound quality better than the .2's? Again, possibly on the measuring device, but for my ears, I can't tell any difference.

Would I buy another PFX? As long as the Zulu.2's are available, no, I wouldn't.

And I do have plans of selling my PFX for $975.00 + shipping/insurance/paypal cost. They have less than 10 hours on them.

-------------------------------------------------

And my 30-3G's are still going strong. They need the ear pads replaced someday soon, but they work great as my passenger set.

-------------------------------------------------

So, Loren, I'd say avoid the hype of the PFX and go with the .2's. You'll spend a bit less money and have as good of a result.

But if you do want some, contact Tina at Tina's Pilot Shop in Roanoke, TX. She is the local dealer and known to provide a really good deal when the manufacturer's let her.

If you listen to music in the airplane the PFX is head and shoulders above anything else on the market. Studio quality sound for an extra $300 is worth it IMO.

If I was using ANR I would choose the Bose A20 probably or the Beyerdynamic HS-800.
I fly the loudest airplanes out these and I keep going back to my passive Beyerdynamic HS-200's. To bad Beyerdynamic stopped making the aviation stuff. I love these German headsets. The Lightspeed is made in China! Probably a $30 headset for $1150
Remember I have used everything and have been selling used headsets on a daily basis for 10 years.
Isn't it funny I have the Beyerdynamics nobody wanted to buy in my airplanes and I could have anything else out there. I can't believe this company didn't sell any headsets. They are the leading brand for studio headsets.

Last edited:
I bought a set of the pfx,s. Have couple sets of the zulu2's. I tried the pfx for maybe 40 hrs or so and gave them to my wife and went back to the zulu's. Did like the cords though as I keep cutting my zulu cords somehow. Music is good on them as david says. Don't like 4 batteries. My wife loves them however.

I almost purchased the PFX, but ended up with the Zulu2 on sale for $800. I tried the PFX out in person and couldn't notice much of a difference (to my ears). I didn't care for the added features and the control box was HUGE. Zulu 2 for me

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I see they have another promotion on the PFX. I'm curious if anyone has gone from the Zulu.2 to the PFX? I love my Zulu.2s, so have no compelling reason to upgrade other than the usual "there's something newer out there" itch. I've heard the control box is much larger, which to me is a bit of a downside. Any other observations or personal experiences to report?

Loren

I have. It eats batteries faster ( I'm told there is a firmware upgrade). ANR is better IMO. Control panel is too big and clunky.

With that said, I just bought a set of A20s. So now I have the Zulu 2s, PFX and the Bose...

Thanks for all the feedback. Sounds like I should just continue to enjoy my Zulu.2s!

The PFX control is heavy as a brick and bulky. They use four or six batteries (not sure) and they eat them like candy according to my dissatisfied friend/owner.

The Zulu .2 I have are a nice light control unit with two batteries that last a long time.

I tried a set in a helicopter, they were definitely noticeably quieter than my Zulu 2; as previously stated - they really missed the mark with the ungodly huge control box and then they also really screwed the pooch on the length of cord between the plug and the control box. With overhead plugs in the helicopter it would hang from the ceiling, put a lot of pressure on the plug jack and it was big enough that when it smacked you in the head you felt it !

Control box size was definitely a concern. More battery consumption would be a huge negative. I think I'll be sticking with the Z.2s. Maybe trade in my old 30Gs for another pair of them.

I compared the PFX and the Zulu 2 at Sporty's. I didn't care for the bulky control box and didn't think the PFX was worth the extra money. I went with the Zulu 2 and have been pleased.

If you have a super loud plane, like the back seat of our RV-8, PFX is worth it.

If not, they're probably not. I am happy with them, as they have made the back seat much nicer on long flights.

+1 on music quality, BTW. Best ever!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

The PFX control is heavy as a brick and bulky. They use four or six batteries (not sure) and they eat them like candy according to my dissatisfied friend/owner.

This... The four batteries are empty really fast and we now have spare batteries in the plane.

I bought the PFX in exchange for my Zulu .1. I truely regret that I didn't go for the Zulu .2...:( While the sound is really good and you hear ATC crystall clear, you shouldn't move your head too fast as it results in a very uncomfortable noise and the controll is bulky.

We always fight who has to use the PFX. Currently our Zulu .1 is for the pilot and the co-pilot has to use the PFX... I personally wouldn't buy the PFX again.

One thing the PFX has that NO other ANR headset has is "Superquiet" mode. (That's not what they call it.)

When you first turn them on, they are as quiet as the Zulus, and you think you're happy. Then, anywhere from 1 to 5 minutes later (and I have not figured out why the time varies) they go into Superquiet mode, and it feels like your brain is being sucked out through your ears.

After that, you hear outside noises by bone conduction more than through your ears. It is quite remarkable, and exactly what we needed in the back seat of the RV-8, which is the loudest place I've ever sat outside of a Pink Floyd concert.

One thing the PFX has that NO other ANR headset has is "Superquiet" mode. (That's not what they call it.)

When you first turn them on, they are as quiet as the Zulus, and you think you're happy. Then, anywhere from 1 to 5 minutes later (and I have not figured out why the time varies) they go into Superquiet mode, and it feels like your brain is being sucked out through your ears.

After that, you hear outside noises by bone conduction more than through your ears. It is quite remarkable, and exactly what we needed in the back seat of the RV-8, which is the loudest place I've ever sat outside of a Pink Floyd concert.

RV8 loud? I thought those things were super quiet. My 540 Eagle was LOUD! After a 15 minute flight my ears would ring for a solid week. I tried every headset and the anr stuff wouldn't begin to work. They would just buzz, pop and squeal. The Clarity Aloft was pretty amazing in that airplane. After trying a Bose A20 with no luck I called Bose. I told them the headset just buzzed and popped. They said the Bose was not designed for a loud airplane! So I said why do I need a $1000 headset for a quiet airplane. If you can use ANR your plane is quiet :)

RV8 loud? I thought those things were super quiet. My 540 Eagle was LOUD! After a 15 minute flight my ears would ring for a solid week. I tried every headset and the anr stuff wouldn't begin to work. They would just buzz, pop and squeal. The Clarity Aloft was pretty amazing in that airplane. After trying a Bose A20 with no luck I called Bose. I told them the headset just buzzed and popped. They said the Bose was not designed for a loud airplane! So I said why do I need a $1000 headset for a quiet airplane. If you can use ANR your plane is quiet :)
The front cockpit of my -8 isn't bad -- and that's where we have the Zulus.

The back cockpit (where I sit every other leg) is like the hammers of hell. It's like the canopy acts like a parabolic reflector (like you see on the sidelines of every NFL game) focusing the engine noise on a single point right between your ears.

The PFXs make that totally go away! :)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I have flown with the PFX, ZULU2s, and BOSE A20s.

I fly with the ZULU2s.

I give my wife the Bose A20s. She hates the way they pinch her head..... When she gets to be PIC, she can have the ZULU2s. (That will never happen.)

If I was using ANR I would choose the Bose A20 probably or the Beyerdynamic HS-800.
I fly the loudest airplanes out these and I keep going back to my passive Beyerdynamic HS-200's. To bad Beyerdynamic stopped making the aviation stuff. I love these German headsets. The Lightspeed is made in China! Probably a $30 headset for $1150
Remember I have used everything and have been selling used headsets on a daily basis for 10 years.
Isn't it funny I have the Beyerdynamics nobody wanted to buy in my airplanes and I could have anything else out there. I can't believe this company didn't sell any headsets. They are the leading brand for studio headsets.

Their marketing plan for their foray into the aviation market completely sucked is why. Who the **** ever heard of a Beyerdynamic from the aviation media? I never saw them at OSH or S-n-F, never saw their advertising in any of the trade rags. Plus 5 syllables in a name, the Germans will never get that Americans are basically a 2 syllable culture, and if you go beyond that, it needs a solid single syllable nick name or contraction, at least a solid acronym. Beyerdynamic sounds like a laxative product.

Their marketing plan for their foray into the aviation market completely sucked is why. Who the **** ever heard of a Beyerdynamic from the aviation media? I never saw them at OSH or S-n-F, never saw their advertising in any of the trade rags. Plus 5 syllables in a name, the Germans will never get that Americans are basically a 2 syllable culture, and if you go beyond that, it needs a solid single syllable nick name or contraction, at least a solid acronym. Beyerdynamic sounds like a laxative product.

They work good as hell though... I have been looking for more of these headsets to buy for months and can't find any. None have been on ebay either. maybe I am the only person that has them. LOL

They work good as hell though... I have been looking for more of these headsets to buy for months and can't find any. None have been on ebay either. maybe I am the only person that has them. LOL

They can work like God enveloping your head in soft milky breasts, but if people don't know they exist, people aren't going to buy them.

They can work like God enveloping your head in soft milky breasts, but if people don't know they exist, people aren't going to buy them.
Oh, it's worse than that. Most consumers don't buy based on performance. All you have to do is drive down any major suburban road to know that.

d3a4a27c51b9a55aa16b57c14a382a2b.jpg

Couldn't get over the size of the box on the PFX. They crammed more stuff in my iPhone and it does way more. They need to make that thing smaller. A lot smaller.

Couldn't get over the size of the box on the PFX. They crammed more stuff in my iPhone and it does way more. They need to make that thing smaller. A lot smaller.
In practice, the size of the battery box doesn't matter, at least not in my plane. It sets on the arm rest, out of sight.

Battery life, while not as good as Zulu, isn't terrible. We replace them ~3 times per year, and we fly a LOT.

My goal with our next headsets (whatever they may be) will be to use ships power and screw the need for batteries.

And this whole discussion just got knocked out of the ballpark with Lightspeed's announcement today that they have introduced a WIRELESS headset.

All I can say is: "ABOUT FREAKING TIME!". I can't wait to try them!

And this whole discussion just got knocked out of the ballpark with Lightspeed's announcement today that they have introduced a WIRELESS headset.

All I can say is: "ABOUT FREAKING TIME!". I can't wait to try them!

It's just a short flight up here to Tina's.....

Let me know when... :)
Will do, but I need these answered first:

Questions:

1. The Tango's rechargeable lithium - ion battery is charged...how? USB interface?

2. If it is USB (which seems to be the norm, nowadays), can I simply power the transmitter using my on-board USB charging ports?

Will do, but I need these answered first:

Questions:

1. The Tango's rechargeable lithium - ion battery is charged...how? USB interface?

2. If it is USB (which seems to be the norm, nowadays), can I simply power the transmitter using my on-board USB charging ports?

See answer in other thread

Back