Lightspeed PFX Headset PIREP?

That $1100 price tag is a turn off for damn sure! An extra $200 so I can hook it up to my computer and adjust the firmware? Pfftt..I'll keep a volume button to turn it down when I want to VS. shell out another $300 to compaired to where they were selling the Zulu 2's about a month or 2 ago for only $800.

I see it was just a one month "sale" though.

I didn't make it by Lightspeed's booth yesterday...would have like to have checked these out. A couple of quick things come to mind looking at their website: The number of batteries required has doubled (4 vs. 2 in the old units); the cord looks kind of funky...like a skinnier, braided cord. They claim to have improved the auto-shutoff. My old 30G units would shut off after just a few minutes if I forgot them. I've found my Zulus still on 10-15 minutes after shutdown. I wonder if they addressed that issue....for another $200 per headset!

I put them on, and after they adjusted I asked them to turn the noise generator on. They told me it was on.

I think they're worth it.

Good pireps! The abilty to adjust freq response has huge merit to me. And, if the ANR is as good as they are marketing it to be, then I will order one and try it. No complaints at all with my Zulu. It has been a great headset so far!

David, what are you currently using for a headset?

I'd be hard pressed to spend much money for a upgrade from my Zulu 1 that's been kicking butt for 100hrs a month for the past few years.

Loved the Zulu, and the Zulu.2. I have no doubt that this headset will kick major butt.

I'm interested in hearing how it does with engines and prop sounds not in the normal range of common engines.
I run a Rotax 912 and wonder if a different frequency range might improve performance.
Although I don't fly them any more, the Garretts on a KingAir 100 were the worst challenge for ANR in my limited experience.

I've been using my Bose X for nearly 10 years now and I'd really love to buy a new eleven hundred dollar headset, I really would.

I just need a reason.

I put them on, and after they adjusted I asked them to turn the noise generator on. They told me it was on.

I think they're worth it.

any comparison to the zulu.2?

Any word on wether or not they will do a trade up program? I just bought 7 Zulu 2s last year for the helicopter and I would love to upgrade to the PFX.

Any word on wether or not they will do a trade up program? I just bought 7 Zulu 2s last year for the helicopter and I would love to upgrade to the PFX.

I think the Zulu 2's are still too new but would bet the original Zulu's would fall under the upgrade program. I may have a like new Zulu listed sooner then later on the CPG "for sale" forum.

Anybody have a chance to try the new Lightspeed PFX at OSH?

Looks like it has some great features! Here is the link for those unfamiliar:

http://www.lightspeedaviation.com/New_Zulu_Series/subgrouping.htm?cat=34803

Available in September

I tried 'em, and they're impressive. On start up, after the low and hi frequency characterization of YOUR ears, they first go to normal ANR for a few seconds... Then impressively go to double secret probation ANR. I want!

Shipping late September... Upgrades available starting January.

Paul

I tried and must say for once it looks like the marketing is not lying. I was amazed at the ability to eliminate noise. I have a pair of Zulus and am quite happy with them but am now considering a upgrade. They really are that good.

I stopped by their booth at Oshkosh. I like everything except the controller. It is quite massive and heavy, especially with the 4 AA batteries in it. I don't want something like that dangling from a cord attached to my head inside an airplane.

Their sales people were obviously coached on how to handle the concern. He started into a pitch on how "There's a COMPUTER in there!" Oh really... I thought it was full of rocks...

Anyway, I'd wait for PFX v2, whenever that comes around.

Anyone get a pair yet?

Anyone get a pair yet?

I'm seriously considering these. I'm going to possibly buy these, the Zulu.2 or Bose as a reward for my solo. I'd love some more feedback on how they feel, how they are with sunglasses, are they better than the A20s?

I do love my Zulu 2's - but I just bought a Quiet Technologies Halo set for 1/3 the price of the PFX's that blew me away. If you're OK with wearing plugs - check these out. You can save yourself a ton of cash.

Looks like sportys is saying spring of 2014.... I may just get a zulu.2 for now if they will do the $800 deal they had a month ago... kinda sucks!

Hi,

I have posted a review on what pilots are saying about the Zulu PFX at pilotheadsethq.com. They are out already and the feeling about them is pretty unanimous. If you can afford them, they are well worth the $$$.

You are more than welcome to check them out at pilotheadethq.com. If there is anything you care to comment on after the review, please feel free to do so.

BluBaron.

Where are they out already? Lightspeed still says april of '14 now.

LOL. You gotta love pre-hype.
AFaIK, LS had scheduled the first production for late Q3 of this year but they discovered a problem with the design and postponed the release until they have the problem licked. While that's unfortunate, it's better than letting out a defective product.

I'd suggest that anyone planning on ordering one (for example an existing Lightspeed owner) should make sure they see it first in person... The battery pack/controller thing is HUGE! And it takes 4 AA batteries with reduced battery life on top of that, so plan on having a large pack of AA batteries with you, along with that huge appendage hanging off it. Yes, it has some extra noise reduction but ANR headsets are so good already, and you do want to hear SOME of the exterior sound (like stall warnings etc).

now that they are officially out anyone got a PIREP? bueller?

I'd suggest that anyone planning on ordering one (for example an existing Lightspeed owner) should make sure they see it first in person... The battery pack/controller thing is HUGE! And it takes 4 AA batteries with reduced battery life on top of that, so plan on having a large pack of AA batteries with you, along with that huge appendage hanging off it. Yes, it has some extra noise reduction but ANR headsets are so good already, and you do want to hear SOME of the exterior sound (like stall warnings etc).

Oh geeze. Now that you notified everyone that they have a huge battery-operated appendage they can play with, there will be long lines to buy them at OSH. ;) ;) ;)

I have had my PFX since last Wednesday now and coming from a first gen Zulu all I can say is WOW!!!!! At first I was a little overwhelmed by the size of the ANR box but it's actually a great setup especially with the metal clip they provide. I find it more convenient and comfortable then my previous zulu. With the clip attached, I can usually find something in the cockpit to mount it to. The headset is as comfortable if not more then the original Zulu. Max flight time without taking it off was 3.5hrs and I could've still went another 3.5+ hours with it on. The music quality is phenomenal! (Especially when combined with the flightlink). ANR on this headset is the the best I've ever heard/experienced. It has 2 modes to select from. The first level is your typical first and second gen zulu's level of ANR then when you switch it to the second level it's almost doubling the amount of ANR(this is where this headset really shines). I've tested it out in a cub, Acrosport with a canopy, Twin Comanche, TBM700, and a CRJ700 within the past week. In loud open cockpits (cub), you have to keep the headset in the 1st level of ANR but even with that it's just like having a previous version zulu so no big deal there. Flying in the Twin Comanche with headset in the second stage of ANR, there were moments when I wondered if the engines were running, it's that quiet. The tbm was even quieter and the rj was very very very very silent. The rj has avionics fans that are pretty loud and this headset knocks that sound out. When I have the music going and the headset on level 2 in a turbine aircraft I can't hear anything outside of the headset (even other people in the cockpit not on the intercom). So with all of this said, this is without a doubt worth every penny of $1100!

Really good info - glad to see it's finally out. Planning to demo one at OSH. Last year Lightspeed had a A20 for a side-by-side comparison....hopefully they'll have the same setup this year.

I tested them last year, and loved them.

I'm just having a really, really hard time swallowing the $1100 price.

It is pretty pricey.....about the same as the Bose A20 and that new AKG headset. Really want to do the side-by-side, $1100 is small change compared to hearing loss over the long haul. Plus, I really like to listen to my tunes on long flights, and don't mind splurging a bit for high-end fidelity :)

I've never found A2DP Bluetooth to be anywhere near high fidelity. Not even close.

Which CODECs do they support? SBC? ATRAC, AAC, APT-X?

"A2DP" is not a CODEC.

Not sure which codec they use, but the quality is certainly better then the original Zulu's and that was already comparable to decent music focused headphones. Now with that being said there are headphones out there that would beat the quality of music this headset puts out, but I'm listening to music while flying on an AVIATION HEADSET. The quality of this in these circumsatnces is going to be pretty hard to beat . I have a $400 set of music headphones and I would rather listen to music on the PFX then on those even when I have hooked up via the bluetooth. So maybe it's not full on extreme high quality sh*t your pants high fidelity, but for an aviation headset it's pretty close. So with that feature along with the extreme quietness it provides, it's well worth the price.

I find Bose QC2's to be good enough to listen to music on, so I think what's being said here is that you have to be an audiophile to see an issue with the PFX.

It is pretty pricey.....about the same as the Bose A20 and that new AKG headset. Really want to do the side-by-side, $1100 is small change compared to hearing loss over the long haul. Plus, I really like to listen to my tunes on long flights, and don't mind splurging a bit for high-end fidelity :)

Good point....that's about a half or third of a good set of hearing aids.

I find Bose QC2's to be good enough to listen to music on, so I think what's being said here is that you have to be an audiophile to see an issue with the PFX.

I have no doubt it's adequate for the intended use.

That had no bearing on my comment.

http://hiddenwires.co.uk/resourcesarticles2011/articles20110207-10.html

As you can see, A2DP's mandatory SBC CODEC misses the minimum bitrate necessary for CD quality audio by a factor of nearly 4.

So "sounds good enough for me" is a nice subjective measure. HiFi insinuates the things can accurately reproduce at least CD quality audio.

Unless they licensed E-apt-X, (and the source player also supports it), they simply aren't capable of such.

No big deal, just a misuse of the term.

Bluetooth A2DP/ SBC significantly rolls off the high end and adds artifacts that are noticeable. Headphones tend to increase the effect.

I have a particular car stereo (Kenwood) which can Bluetooth linked to iOS devices or direct digital link via USB cable. The audio difference isn't something "only an audiophile" can hear. Direct comparison makes it really obvious.

Well I'm not thinking I'm going to have hearing loss with my Zulu 1s :rolleyes2:

I like the reviews on the new light speeds, not a fan of more batteries and a larger box, also not sure if it's worth the extra change compared to my Zulu 1s.

Back