Lightspeed Customer service...

CT Arrow

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Adios!
I had a little different experience today with Lightspeed service that I wanted to share. While I have never had to use lightspeed service on my 3 year old Zulu's, I noticed that one of the Foam covered earseals was starting to come apart. Odd for any headset and especially for this one with little use.

I called lightspeed and was greeted by a customer service rep. I explained the issue and wondered if she could ship me 1 ear piece. She then proceeded to explain to me that this was a "consumable item" as well as the head pad and was not covered under warranty. She explained that Lightspeed recommends to replace these items every 12 month and the end user is responsible for the cost. Say what?

I questioned as to where it indicated this in my owners manual and also that I have owned Bose and David Clark for many years and have never had an issue is such a short period of time. She reiterated Lightspeed's Policy and I stopped her mid stream. I indicated that I had always heard about Lightspeed's excellent customer service but clearly things have changed. I also noted that I had just ordered a new Lightspeed and was waiting for it to ship in September. However, based on this experience I would cancel the headset order and buy a Bose A20.

She then indicated that she would send me a "one time" complementary pair of ear seals. I verified my address and she indicated that I would see them in a week.

It's sad that I had to escalate the conversation to canceling a new $1100 headset over a .20 earseal when a simply " No problem sir, we will ship you one out gratis" would have sufficed.

She did call me back an hour later to indicate what page it was on in the manual and that she was mistaken about 12 months. It should have been 18 months. I again stood my ground and indicated that the earseal should never have fallen apart in the first place and while I appreciated the complimentary earseals, the conversation should have never had to reach the level that it did. She did not comment further, exchanged pleasantries and we both ended the call.

Your Mileage may vary.....

Yesterday after returning home from S.C. I noticed black flecks on my shirt. Then my wife noticed the flakes all over my face. The black ear pads and the head pads on my Zulus were badly flaking. Our other set was fine. We bought them both about the same time and they each get pretty much exactly the same amount of use as my wife and I always fly together. I emailed Lightspeed customer support last night because their office was closed. I haven't heard anything back yet. I get the feeling they have a bigger problem with their pads than they are willing to admit.

Let's see what they say.

Last edited:
I've had the same flaking issue on a couple pairs of 30 3Gs. I think one set was replaced under warranty, the other was not. They lasted about 4-5 years before flaking. I have seen Bose earseals do the same thing at that age.

Jeff

Yup. Both brands just wear out. Bose recommends replacement every 400 hrs.

I have had Lightspeed replace them for free when I've sent headsets in for other reasons.

The 3 year old set of tires on my truck are getting bald. I think i'll see if I can lean on someone at the dealership for a new set.

The 3 year old set of tires on my truck are getting bald. I think i'll see if I can lean on someone at the dealership for a new set.

I'm guessing your tires are hypothetical but do your hypothetical tires have an actual or implied warranty? I have two sets of Zulus; both the same age and worn equal amounts of time in the same plane. One wore out the other didn't. Do you say just accept it? These are some of the most expensive and highly rated headsets you can buy. They should have lasted more than 150 hours use or more than 2.5 years.
I am still waiting for a response from Lightspeed.

Bose doesn't provide free ear seal any longer they also will not provide you with a mic muff.quoted at OSH that the muff could be purchased for$6 .i guess that want to make as much money as possible.

Love my 4 year old Zulus. No flaking. They replaced my controls when the audio input got flakey after the warranty expired. Either you got a bad rep....or their attitudes have changed. Hope it's the former.....

No problem with my DC ANR earseals in 500+ hours in a plane and perhaps another 200 while riding a noisy lawn tractor. I had the batteries leak and destroy the battery carrier on the headset (older style, six AA batts) and they replaced that for free. Now they charge for mike muffs. I'd complain but they have already given me freebies above and beyond the call. I am just sorry that level of customer service has stopped. -Skip

Maybe you should drive less miles...... I think you missed the point

My Zulu 1 just took a dump. Popping noises when the ENC is on. I've tried several different intercoms, different batteries, adjusting them on my head everything I could think of. No joy.

<Crossing fingers>

The flaking on my Bose headset ear pads seems to be the result of putting on and taking off my sunglasses! :mad2: Not sure our Zulus, but I just order two sets of ear pads from Bose at a time, the cheaper ones on eBay didn't last very long and weren't as comfortable.:mad2:

My copilot to Oshkosh turned in his Bose-X headsets which had some cracked plastic headband parts glued back together and broken wires that had been DIY repaired.

The Bose-X was functional, but sketchy looking and of indeterminate reliability. He had bought a set of Bose A20s to replace them already and relegated the Bose-X to a passenger headset.

Bose accepted his headset in for service in their tent at Oshkosh. All the broken plastic bits were replaced, new earseals, new mic muff, and a new control box. The charge? $0.00. He also showed a recent email receipt for the Bose A20 purchase and got a Brightline bag out of it too.

Needless to say, he was pleased.

I have had Lightspeed replace them for free when I've sent headsets in for other reasons.

This.

I sent a pair of Zulus in June for other problems (plastic on the battery box getting gooey; wires cut, etc) -- and they came back repaired for free, with new ear pads.

I emailed them back, and said "BTW, one of my other pair also needs new earpads" -- and they told me these were consumable items. I bought 'em at OSH, and just put them on the Zulus today.

I guess the moral is: If you want free ear pads, make sure the headsets are good and broken in some other way. :rolleyes:

Actually, I didn't mind buying them. Lightspeed has been very good to me.

I had a little different experience today with Lightspeed service that I wanted to share. While I have never had to use lightspeed service on my 3 year old Zulu's, I noticed that one of the Foam covered earseals was starting to come apart.

I have 3 pairs of 30Gs and they are all flaking. Black specks all over head/shirt after use.:mad2:

They have had my Zulu 1 for 5 full buisness days, still no return shipping confirmation. Assuming it ships today via ground, I may get it Wednesday.

That's the one issue with my Zulus, that "leather" is comfortable but VERY weak. Ive had my Zulu for 3years or so, bout a 100hrs a month and I've replaced the ear seals 3 or 4 times, head pad about 3 times too.

First time they covered it, other times I just ordered from spruce.

Also had a few cracks in the cord from the headset to the module, they fixed that twice free.

My pax/backup DC 56s are probably older then I am, when I got then put the "comfort kit" on, new headpad, ear seals, etc, that was also about 3 years ago and I haven't had to replace a single pad or piece.

FWIW I still wear my Zulus everyday and wouldn't trade them.

Every lightspeed headset I've ever owned (3 now) had the ear seal flaking issue. Sure they'll replace it, but it'll flake again in 12 months.

So I finally decided to just peeled it all off...and now I have more comfortable cloth ear seals and no more black spots all over my ears and neck.

This is reminiscent of when Garmin had the 396/496 charger issues...when the plugs were regularly coming apart. Sure, they'd send you a new one but it was the same POS as the one that fell apart. it would last 4 months and then you'd be on the phone with them again.

Wash

Rinse

Repeat.

Last edited:
Leather/vinyl/fake leather is a terrible choice for ear seals and I wonder why they even went that direction in the first place. One of my Zulus is now shedding and I'll likely strip the material as well...

Mine was clearly some sort of ENC issue, not a cosmetic one. I did get the shipping notice today so probably Tuesday or Wednesday I'll get them.

I have never had any flaking issues with any headset. The ear seal was falling apart. The foam interior was visible and taking up most of the cup area.
New ear seals applied and all is well!. I did order a PFX so this Zulu is for sale, $550 shipped. The headset is like new and goes on ebay next week.

Last edited:
I bought 3 pairs of new seals from Aircraft Spruce at $20/headset. :goofy:

I shipped my Zulu 1 in for warranty on the 13th via fedex 3day ground, they received them on the 16th.

I got them back on the 26th via 2 day USPS.

So 13 days with the shipping time from eastern Nebraska. They did replace the mic foam, but left one of the earseals that had a small tare. Headset is only about 1/2 thru warranty.

I shipped my Zulu 1 in for warranty on the 13th via fedex 3day ground, they received them on the 16th.

So 13 days with the shipping time from eastern Nebraska. They did replace the mic foam, but left one of the earseals that had a small tare. Headset is only about 1/2 thru warranty.

I am sure Lightspeed gets slammed after OSH each year so that could explain the in house turn time......

As for not replacing the earseal... Now that is depressing, as they didn't use to operate their business that way..... Of course I have not send one back for service in years either..:(

The tare will get worse. (Ask me how I know) I would call them and and indicate that they missed the seal in the service and if they could ship you a new one. If they give you the consumables speech I would stand firm. After paying $900 for a headset you expect it to last and not become grounded over a 20 cent earseal.

I've had a set of the older 20 XLC head sets that had a problem transmitting. Sent them back got them fixed for free and they sent them back to me the same method that I sent them in (2 day delivery)

I then sent them in for an upgrade to add a new control unit that I could plug my cell phone into. It was a good deal and the transaction was easy.

Finally after several years the seals flaked and the adhesive holding the seal cusions to the plastic broke down and made the seals slide. It wasn't such a big deal for me. They were good headsets and served me well.

I can't recall ifI got new ear seals or not but eventually I traded them in for the Zulus through the Lightspeed Upgrade program.

I'm a big fan of Lightspeed. I find them responsive and they make a good product. I think thier Sierra is probably the best value in the ANR headset market.

Also as a company they are very supportive of aviation philanthropies.

Sent them my, many years out of warranty, pair of el cheapo 20's with a cut cable (pinched in the seat hinge) on one and bent hinge on the other.
They sent me back a refurbished pair (looked brand new & not mine) for a minimal charge along with a new pair of seals for the other sets in the plane.

Seems like customer satisfaction varies based on expectations. I'm happy.
I do think that since they have gone from the new kid on the block with great technology headsets and great prices, to duking it out with the high priced 'spread' in the near one grand range, they have become just like the high priced 'spread'.

I've sent my headsets in two or three times when they broke and it was my fault. They said it was covered under warranty and fixed. They even took a POS Bose that was so busted it barely worked for trade-up to a Zulu 2.

Each time, they've told me the ear pieces are consumable items. No problem, I can live with that.

Their website/customer portal for registering and requesting service on hardware is great.

Well crap! Winter is here and my wiper blades went bad on my $30k truck! I was ****ed off so I called the Toyota dealership and asked for replacement wiper blades, they told me that the wiper blades were not covered under warranty and replacing them were at my expense. $50 later I was all set... I will never own another Toyota... NOT!!!!

Hmmmmm...I suspicion Charles is a lightspeed-employee-web-board-operative. Three posts and all of them in defense of lightspeed...hmmmmm...

;)

Last edited:
Well crap! Winter is here and my wiper blades went bad on my $30k truck! I was ****ed off so I called the Toyota dealership and asked for replacement wiper blades, they told me that the wiper blades were not covered under warranty and replacing them were at my expense. $50 later I was all set... I will never own another Toyota... NOT!!!!

I love my Toyata truck too......:wink2:..

But......... 50 dollar wiper blades.:confused::confused:

Are they made of gold or unobtanium ?:dunno: Geez...

Are you kidding me? My windshield wipers on my 1 year old truck are starting to go bad and leave streaks on my window.... I might call the dealer and tell them to replace them for free. Or maybe I will spend the $40...

Nothing but amazing service from Lightspeed.... never will wear another brand.:no:

Back