Lightning vs. Glider

view

Hi just to say that I recently did a wing walk to celebrate my 50th birthday, 20 years after my gliding accident.

Wow!!! Congrats Mr Cooper. That is awesome.

To the others here - is it common practice for glider pilots to wear a chute when flying if not acro?

Wow!!! Congrats Mr Cooper. That is awesome.

To the others here - is it common practice for glider pilots to wear a chute when flying if not acro?
Seems to depend on the glider. Some are designed for competition, not necessarily aerobatics, where parachutes may be required. Mid airs are a real possibility when thermalling with a lot of other aircraft. In some of those, the design is such that the parachute becomes the seat cushion. Quite a few members of my club wore them because of that.

Seems to depend on the glider. Some are designed for competition, not necessarily aerobatics, where parachutes may be required. Mid airs are a real possibility when thermalling with a lot of other aircraft. In some of those, the design is such that the parachute becomes the seat cushion. Quite a few members of my club wore them because of that.
Glider flying with a parachute is common practice back in Europe. In the US not so much, but it´s not uncommon. Gliders tend to converge to the best thermals, I´ve flown with 20+ gliders close together in a weak thermal, that´s not funny. The risk of collision is there. I know a guy and a girl who have one more take-off than landings and I´ve heard of many, many more, so wearing this parachute is very much mandatory to me when flying gliders.
Another risk is rigging the glider out of the trailer every day. Quite a few guys had to jump out after their winch launch because the elevator had not been attached properly. Most of these kind of accidents are fatal though.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back