Lighter weight components

birdus

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Jay Williams
Just got a new Luscombe 8E. From the last W&B, it appears quite portly (950 pounds). It has a Gill lead acid battery, a 35-amp generator (a previous owner was going to install a full IFR panel and was preparing), and what I assume is a standard starter. The engine is a C-85.

I'm planning on installing a new panel at the end of the year which should draw only around 7 or 8 amps normally, although the radio can draw more at its maximum. Also, the plane has landing lights, and navigation lights (I'd like to convert all the lights to LED).

I think I saw in the paperwork that the battery and generator were each 16 or 17 pounds. Don't know about the starter.

Question: can I save weight with alternate battery, starter, and generator? If so, how much weight are we talking and what are rough costs for the lighter versions?

Thanks,
Jay

A EarthX battery will save a bunch of weight and they are a great product!

The model you would need is actually about 4lbs.

The model you would need is actually about 4lbs.

If I click on "Certified Aircraft" I see just the one: ETX900-TSO.

Looks like the ETX680 would work, but there's no TSO for it. Maybe they'll come up with one. Only 4.1 pounds! (cheaper, too)

Last edited:
Question: can I save weight with alternate battery, starter, and generator?
FWIW: How current is your last actual empty weight and balance record? If it is somewhat dated perhaps have a new weight and balance performed to get current figures then dig into the specs of the items you wish to replace and calculate wt/bal/cg changes. However, if the current components are in working order it maybe a better bang for your buck to wait till they fail then replace with the light weight stuff. While every pound is important I've seen some customers chase weight reduction. But once installed and calculated the gain (loss) tended not to be as great for the cost paid.

Want to save weight in the aircraft? Cheaper and easiest thing is to take some weight off the pilot.

FWIW: How current is your last actual empty weight and balance record? If it is somewhat dated perhaps have a new weight and balance performed to get current figures then dig into the specs of the items you wish to replace and calculate wt/bal/cg changes. However, if the current components are in working order it maybe a better bang for your buck to wait till they fail then replace with the light weight stuff. While every pound is important I've seen some customers chase weight reduction. But once installed and calculated the gain (loss) tended not to be as great for the cost paid.

2003, although I don't believe anything has changed since then. However, I was thinking I'd weight the plane anyway. Thanks for your thoughts on how to approach things. I'm doing some research and trying to see how W&B could be affected by components that I'm thinking about.

Back