Lightbulb security cams

JOhnH

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Right Seater
Has anyone used one of these? Are they any good or just a scam.
I have a perfect place to put one on my covered front porch. I'm not sure how many brands there are or if any are better than others. I mainly want motion detection and an alert to my iphone if someone comes close. Some minimal amount of recording would be nice, but not essential.

Here is an example of one:
https://www.amazon.com/LaView-Secur...-2-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

I have one similar to that and it functions as stated. Like you, I was very skeptical about it but the price made it worth a shot. It isn't fancy but does offer live and recorded video (storage of video with a subscription), notifications and the ability to move the camera remotely in real time. The two-way audio also works fine. I use this one in the garage facing the door. It allows me to verify the garage door is closed and to see the driveway through the windows. I have other views from fixed cameras so this one is being used a bit specialized. I don't have any complaints.

I use Wyze cams in my hangar. They’ve worked well. Inexpensive and the app is free.

I use Wyze cams in my hangar. They’ve worked well. Inexpensive and the app is free.

So it replaces the bulb or does it still have some form light as well ?

Not familiar with that one, but the main problem with motion detection alerting cameras is nuisance alerting which ultimately leads to turning off or ignoring the alerts. The wind blows and a shrub in the field of view moves... you get an alert.
A complete system (like the https://a.co/d/4gNkwp4 )will cost more but comes with smart detection for person or vehicle, storage and alerting.

I recently did the Arlo Ultra wireless camera and added small solar panels to keep the batteries charged. These have 4K resolution. You really want to make sure that you get a camera that does high resolution. How many times have you seen cameras recording events and the police saying that resolution was too low to identify the perpetrator.

Back