Light sport IFR questions

bugsiegel

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Bugsiegel
Can a home built experimental ( let's say Vans) light sport plane built with all necessary IFR required equipment and then piloted with a current IFR pilot be legally flown IFR?
day and night ?

Most experimentals get the standard phrasing in their operating limitations that limits them to day VFR unless equipped via 91.205 for night or IFR (as appropriate).

So yes, a suitably unrestricted and equipped experimental, flown by a pilot that meets all the requirements: rated, current, and WITH A MEDICAL, can fly IFR.

Lots of very nice, both price and capabilities wise, avionics for experientials, a completely alien concept in the certified aircraft world.

In short, yes --- but make sure that the LSA is an E-LSA and not a S-LSA.
Modifying an S-LSA will void the airworthiness certificate. And once it's modified, you can't get an E-LSA certificate --- you would have to have an E-A/B certificate, which means it would no longer be an LSA (difference between FAA certification and ASTM certification requirements)

In short, yes --- but make sure that the LSA is an E-LSA and not a S-LSA.
Modifying an S-LSA will void the airworthiness certificate. And once it's modified, you can't get an E-LSA certificate --- you would have to have an E-A/B certificate, which means it would no longer be an LSA (difference between FAA certification and ASTM certification requirements)
Um. No.

An LSA is an aircraft that meets the weight/speed/seat requirements and can be flown by a sport pilot. That aircraft may be certificated as S-LSA, E-LSA, E-AB, Part 23, or the old CAR whatever it was.

I fly an E-AB aircraft that meets the definition of LSA as found in part 1 of the FAA regulations.

You can't get an E-AB certificate for anything except for an aircraft that was built to the so called 51% rule. If an aircraft were certificated as an S-LSA it can never be an E-AB, but it could be converted to E-LSA.

Lots of very nice, both price and capabilities wise, avionics for experientials, a completely alien concept in the certified aircraft world.

Only some of which may meet actual requirements for use under IFR. If the equipment doesn't meet the requirements for certified enroute and terminal IFR ops then it's essentially no different than using an iPad.

Can an E-LSA that has operating limitations for VFR be changed to permit IFR?

Can an E-LSA that has operating limitations for VFR be changed to permit IFR?

Yes. If it has standard oplIms wording per 8130.2, then all you have to do is comply with the requirements identified in 91.205. If the oplIms are non-standard and don't give that leeway, then you can contact your local FSDO and request new oplims.

Last edited:
Yes. If it has standard oplIms wording per 8130.2, then all you have to do is comply with the requirements identified in 91.205. If the oplIms are non-standard and don't give that leeway, then you can contact your local FSDO and request new oplims.

Here's a page from the Operating Limitations I got when I took my Sky Arrow EXPERIMENTAL:

8421801462_5591a73265_c.jpg

Specifically, see items #10 and #11.

Note: as an S-LSA conversion, I had no "phase 1 flight testing". That would only come into play if I ever perform a major modification.

I suspect you're correct. I'll have to contact the FSDO and get them to change my op limits when I get around to it.

Back