Life in quarantine at MCAS Miramar

gkainz

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Greg Kainz
from my friends previously aboard Grand Princess, now in quarantine at MCAS Miramar:

Dear family and friends,

As I expect you now know, Becky and I we were on the Grand Princess cruise ship and are now currently under quarantine as "guests" of the CDC (Center for Disease Control) and/or HHS (Health and Human Services) at the Marine Corps Air Station at Miramar, CA.

We have now been here for over 24 hours, arriving mid-day on Thursday, March 12. After "checking in" at one lodging facility, we were then transferred by bus to the CBQ (Combined Bachelor Quarters), which was/is to be our residence for the duration of the quarantine (14+ days).

This evening, we dialed-in to an hour+ long "conference call" with the local staff at Miramar, to which all "guests" were invited to dial-in and attend. The first ~ 20 minutes of the call were devoted to various statements by those on the base who are either charged with the responsibilities relating to our quarantine and/or with our lodging and care. The remaining ~40 minutes was a Q&A session with limited number of "guests" asking various questions.

I currently have several conclusions based on our stay so far at Miramar, the information shared on the conference call, and the various conversations Becky and I have had with other guests, both at Miramar and at other CDC quarantine locations (Travis AFB in Fairfield, CA and Dobbins AFB in Marietta, Georgia).

Those conclusions include:
  1. The lodging here at the CBQ in Miramar is much better than anticipated (and MUCH better than the Marine Barracks at Quantico, VA
    1f60f
    ). That's the good news.

2. The staff charged with the Quarantine and Lodging/Care have the desire and intent to help, but (for whatever the reasons...some of which may be "valid") they are significantly over-whelmed, dis-organized, and unable to accomplish anything close to their stated / intended objectives...either in terms of the enforcement of CDC quarantine & common sense health protocols or simple group lodging tasks. The REALITY is not even close to their INTENT.
    • For example, one key stated protocol from prior to day one and reinforced on day one is to "stay in your rooms for at least 48 hours, and if necessary to leave your room, have your mask on, keep appropriate "social distances", and "don't congregate in large groups". (This was enforced religiously on the Grand Princess).

To help facilitate that protocol, we received documents when we arrived that we would receive meals 3-times per day in our rooms (as we did for several days while on the Grand Princess) and were given the specific intended times of delivery. It was also documented that we should expect to have our health monitored for symptoms daily.

• Following our initial evening meal on Thursday (delivered to our rooms)...beginning on Friday morning (today apparently and going forward), all guests are now essentially forced to gather in large groups of well over 100 people in the lobby 3 times per day, standing in very typical long "food-lines" and in crowded 'groups' (such as the space allows) to pick-up our boxed meals, rolls, and drinks...from staff who are not trained and/or proficient in serving food in a 'low-exposure' manner.

3. During tonight's conference call, during the Q&A session there were several other guests who confirmed their agreement with the above specific reality based experiences. Some guests indicated they were very concerned about coming out of their rooms to get their meals due to this risk of further exposure.

4. Since arrival at this CBQ facility we have NOT been tested directly for COVID-19 or even indirectly (via infra-red thermometer) for symptoms. Neither has anyone else that we are aware in our "group" (of several hundred). On the conference call tonight and in other conversations with the CDC/HHS staff at the front desk of the CBQ, we were led to believe that we would NOT be pro-actively tested for COVID-19...and that we should expect to be here for a minimum of 14 days...perhaps without ever being directly tested.

5. It was also noted by a CDC spokesman on the call that even if we were to be given a COVID-19 test and "passed" as negative, that would not confirm that we don't have the virus and thus we would not be released prior to 14+days. (One logical conclusion from that is that the COVID-19 tests are apparently not valid in the negative.)

6. Yet on the conference call, it was communicated that at least 3 guests at Miramar have now been confirmed to have COVID-19 and thus have been separated from our group. So, it is apparent that the COVID-19 tests are deemed valid in the positive but not in the negative. It would seem to me that given this, it would be prudent to quickly test everyone and then at least separate those who test positive from the rest of the group who test negative.

7. SO, WE ARE PART OF A RELATIVELY SMALL GROUP OF ~ 2000 UNITED STATES CITIZENS WHO HAVE APPARENTLY BEEN DEEMED TO BE A LARGE ENOUGH THREAT TO PUBLIC HEALTH AS TO BE QUARANTINED FOR AT LEAST 6 DAYS ON THE GRAND PRINCESS PLUS A PLANNED ADDITION 14 DAYS AT VARIOUS MILITARY FACILITIES... BUT NOT A HIGH ENOUGH A RISK TO QUARANTINE US FROM EACH OTHER OR TO GIVE US COVID-19 TESTS. DOES THAT MAKE SENSE?!

8. In any case (and sorry for the rambling) due to the above, it is crystal clear to me THAT BECKY and I would be much less likely to contract the virus if we were transported to Colorado to either be placed in our own home for "self-quarantine" or at least moved to a smaller facility with a staff better equipped and organized to follow their own protocols. WE DO NOT NOW HAVE and PRIOR TO OUR DEPARTURE ON THE GRAND PRINCESS ON FEBRUARY 21, 2020, NEVER HAVE HAD ANY OF THE STATED SYMPTOMS OF COVID-19.

9. Early during tonight's conference call and supported by the documentation we received when we arrived, we were told specifically that we would be under 'quarantine' at Miramar for at least 14 days. However, later during the conference call, there were several "guests" who pointed out during the Q&A session that they had been contacted by their state's health departments and would be leaving Miramar and transported to their state within the next day or two for "self-quarantine". Following this information being mentioned by other guests 2 or 3 times on the conference call, the CDC representative on the call indicated that such a 'transfer of custody' (my term) from the CDC at Miramar to local State Health Departments (or similar) had to be initiated by a given state's health authorities to / through CDC in Washington, DC. He also implied (at least in my interpretation) that he would support such a transfer, as long as the proper paperwork were generated to formally transfer custody of the "guest" and responsibility for the quarantine from CDC to the State.

10. From the information above and our conversations with quite a few other guests, there are currently at least 4 states (Oklahoma, Iowa, South Carolina, and Washington) who have put into place the plans to transport their citizens back to their home states...and to do so in the next 1-2 days. I fully expect that there will be more...and I pray that Colorado will be one of them.

The following is an attempt to clarify and summarize the fundamental issue that was and is motivating my email from yesterday.

My fundamental issue is this:

The longer that Becky and I (or any one of the other "guests") are at this facility, the higher the probability that we will catch the virus, particularly as compared to if we were elsewhere, whether it be on the Grand Princess or at home or even in the general public.

It's simply a numbers game in the context of whether quarantine protocols and basic sanitation standards are followed (and enforced)...or not.

When you have a large number (100s) of people who have known (or highly probable) potential exposure to the virus in the recent past and all are congregating and interacting repeatedly in the same areas and are almost all are sequentially touching the same items and surfaces repeatedly (doors, door-handles, coffee dispensers and related items, food distribution tables, luggage, lounge furniture, front desk counters, etc.) within short time-spans and without personal protection or intermittent sanitation, the odds of transferring the virus from person-to-person increase dramatically. That's the reality here.

Also to attempt to be clear on other trivial matters: I have little material issue with the facility (which is quite nice!) or the people staffing the facility per se. It is simply the fact that they are so apparently so over-whelmed and inexperienced with the size of the "management" problem they have been given that they are unable to execute well whatever plans they have in place to attempt to actually 'quarantine' from each other the group under their care for which they are attempting to take responsibility. (Anecdotal example of poor management: We still don't have our luggage which was delivered to and put under the control of the CDC/HHS on Tuesday...over 4 days ago... Currently still a trivial matter, but becoming less trivial by the day...)

I have little confidence that things will improve unless and until the size of the local problem (ie: number of people under local management) is significantly reduced.

Thanks for sharing. It seems to be more of isolating these people from the rest of the US population than it is in preventing them from getting one another sick. The problem I see is that if there is a confirmed case within the 14 day period, then the clock starts over for another 14 days for everyone else, and so on and so on, otherwise what’s the use? I feel for these people. I wonder what they signed or under what authority they are being “detained”.

The people who brought you the DMV, road paving, and IACRA, in charge of housing people during a pandemic.

What could possibly go wrong? LOL.

The entire thought of the military doing hospitality style room service is hilarious.

Back when you first posted they were going there, I was going to joke they’d all get out just in time to catch it from the rest of us, but looks like the gov wants them all to catch it first instead. Ha.

The part about the “transfer of control” garbage made me chuckle. Note the policy makers continuing to push paper like they do 99.999999% of the time. Have to shovel paper fast to keep a permanent dumpster fire fed. They don’t have actual skills. Conference calls, and reports. Gives new meaning to “death by PowerPoint”.

All you’d have to do to get them to act, would be to mandate they go stand in the chow line once. Miracles and new procedures would henceforth fall like manna from government heaven.

Sorry to hear your bro is getting all the government he doesn’t deserve...

Dumping these folks on an unsuspecting bunch of 18-22 year olds with zero training or motivation to take care of them... looks good at the many emergency planning conferences when hung over for three days in presentations. LOL.

At least the drill instructors aren’t waking them up at 0400 for PT. LOL. A little fresh air and brisk morning jog? :)

“If you aren’t dressed and standing on my deck ready for PT in two minutes, the entire group is running an extra mile today!”

The US response to this honestly couldn't be more pathetic..

I'm disappointed in our country

The disinfectant thing is also kind of dumb, this is not a bacteria. Coronavirus is a ball of RNA encapsulated by proteins held together with literally grease. Any standard soap dissolves the grease and destroys the coronavirus

People wouldn’t have accepted what was needed, a total shutdown of all public transportation systems and a stop to all public interstate travel. Starting like two weeks ago. The only thing that stops the spread is isolation, and people won’t do it.

People wouldn’t have accepted what was needed, a total shutdown of all public transportation systems and a stop to all public interstate travel. Starting like two weeks ago. The only thing that stops the spread is isolation, and people won’t do it.
There's a LOT of gray area...very logical gray area...between complete incompetence and complete shutdown

Ahh don’t be. We’ve been incompetent for decades. :)

It takes a lot of free debt money and a well honed sense of job security from it, for long term bureaucrats to be this mediocre!

My state telling people not to gather and then opening a centralized drive thru for virus testing... lol lol lol.

“Let’s all go down to the most virus laden virus place possible to get tested for the virus today, kids! Load up the minivan!” :)

There's a little more to it than that though, people aren't getting any real, consistent guidance. There's a perception of disarray with people, including businesses, not really sure what to do or how to handle this situation, or its gravity

Watching interviews with the gov health experts really doesn't instill any kind of confidence, these guys are politicians struggling to find a "safe" answer without actually giving proper sound advice

How about some basic things like
-some economic protections for people who will be out of work.. like a moratorium on interest on payments, postponement in utility due dates, etc
-rules that won't allow business to price extort people on basic goods and services
-having enough test kits ready and a standardized policy in place for hospitals and clinics to follow (seems like this was seriously lacking)
-not a lot of media hearsay, just a clear, concise, message.. put it on one of those emergency broadcasts.. be realistic in what you broadcast, but also emphasize the gravity of the situation
-yes, ask that people stay home as much as they, and if they go out, wash their hands often.. pretend you just spent the afternoon picking habanero peppers and cutting onions and now you have to take your contacts out.. yes, that level of handwashing, often

**Also, keep in mind, that heart disease kills someone every 18 seconds, but we don't see vegetables flying off the store shelves and people maxing out gym memberships. People freak out about this because it seems foreign "oooh, it came from CHINA!" and because they put scary graphics of spikey red balls.. when in reality, you *probably* won't get it, and if you do, you *probably* won't die. You don't see people exercise this kind of extreme caution with any other aspect of their lives.

How about some basic things like
-some economic protections for people who will be out of work.. like a moratorium on interest on payments, postponement in utility due dates, etc
-rules that won't allow business to price extort people on basic goods and services
-having enough test kits ready and a standardized policy in place for hospitals and clinics to follow (seems like this was seriously lacking)
-not a lot of media hearsay, just a clear, concise, message.. put it on one of those emergency broadcasts.. be realistic in what you broadcast, but also emphasize the gravity of the situation
-yes, ask that people stay home as much as they, and if they go out, wash their hands often.. pretend you just spent the afternoon picking habanero peppers and cutting onions and now you have to take your contacts out.. yes, that level of handwashing, often

- The message about rainy days and rainy day savings hasn’t changed in my lifetime. It hurts when you don’t do it, sometimes.
- Free markets have consequences and they’re not always in a cheaper direction. Wild fluctuations occur at times. See rainy day.
- Even if one of thousands of government agencies had consistent messaging, and that never happens... getting reporters to consistently message without their morning partisan talking points these days is laugh out loud levels of wishful thinking. They’ve been making up crap for ratings, again, for decades.
- Every Doc I’ve met this week shook my hand including a top pulmonary Doc in the country. His 70+ colleague didn’t, since he knows he’s high risk. The younger guy joked, “I was out sick most of February. We have office visits with the sickest people in the world. I’ll use the sanitizer... (shrug).” That from a pulmonary and critical care fellow / surgeon at Mayo. Haha.

I was somewhat surprised at what sounded like incompetent management of the situation and conditions. Especially on a Marine Corps base. The Marines typically have their act together.
Sounds like it’s actually CDC/DHSS personnel in place on Miramar providing the services. Marines are just providing the facilities.

I was somewhat surprised at what sounded like incompetent management of the situation and conditions. Especially on a Marine Corps base. The Marines typically have their act together.
Sounds like it’s actually CDC/DHSS personnel in place on Miramar providing the services. Marines are just providing the facilities.

Probably keeping the Marines away. Can’t have a sick fighting force. China might invade during our weakness. ;)

Ahh don’t be. We’ve been incompetent for decades. :)

It takes a lot of free debt money and a well honed sense of job security from it, for long term bureaucrats to be this mediocre!

My state telling people not to gather and then opening a centralized drive thru for virus testing... lol lol lol.

“Let’s all go down to the most virus laden virus place possible to get tested for the virus today, kids! Load up the minivan!”
:)
LOL, I was thinking the exact same thing while watching the news today! WTF would I go put myself in that crowded environment for testing, unless there was already a vaccine available??? Unbelievable:rolleyes:

LOL, I was thinking the exact same thing while watching the news today! WTF would I go put myself in that crowded environment for testing, unless there was already a vaccine available??? Unbelievable:rolleyes:

Even funnier they only had 200 test kits, and people were all ticked off who sat in car lines. LOL.

Yeah. Like all the busses and trains running all around me, and the stupid long lines at DFW, and all of the people crowding together in lines at Walmart as they empty the shelves but ignore the 6 foot bubble advice. SO. Freaking. Dumb.

Thanks for sharing. It seems to be more of isolating these people from the rest of the US population than it is in preventing them from getting one another sick. The problem I see is that if there is a confirmed case within the 14 day period, then the clock starts over for another 14 days for everyone else, and so on and so on, otherwise what’s the use? I feel for these people. I wonder what they signed or under what authority they are being “detained”.
Bingo.

Modern day Leper Colony...only goal is to slow things down...frankly there is no need to waste time or money on an isolated population is probably the thinking...having family in England, France, and Italy it does not seem any of the government’s can truly offer a real response. South Korea has done the best with a compliant population that is on a war footing...Israel also will handle this...the rest of us are screwed if it really does blow up. Liberty has its cost...but well worth it to me.

My friends in-laws were on the cruise with them. The in-laws went home to Oklahoma directly from disembarkation at Oakland to self-quarantine at home, skipping Miramar completely.
If there is logic to this insanity, it escapes the casual observer.

My friends in-laws were on the cruise with them. The in-laws went home to Oklahoma directly from disembarkation at Oakland to self-quarantine at home, skipping Miramar completely.
If there is logic to this insanity, it escapes the casual observer.

Probably should just leave. Highly unlikely they’ll arrest or shoot them. lol.

There’s confirmed cases outside the base gate. Quarantine of these folks is dumb now.

Make them use a rental car and promise to self quarantine at home and keep the rental car for 14 days.

Give them a map and some gas stations where someone will fuel them... and hand them food with a stick if they’re really worried. Or hand them masks and cooler with box lunches. Lol.

They’d probably catch the thing in a public restroom on the way home at this point. Not the other way around. ;)

At this point, with community spread in place, interning this one group seems an unwise use of resources .

Last edited:
Coronavirus is a ball of RNA encapsulated by proteins held together with literally grease. Any standard soap dissolves the grease and destroys the coronavirus

I just saw this article from a chemistry professor who confirms and expands on what you're saying. By the way, does detergent have the same effect?

https://www.vox.com/science-and-hea...KZ2ur0LgL-iZLr5VAGiveHsuH6wHOXWnDMcTcZf3cVXSI
100LL is an effective de-greaser. Does it also work on coronavirus?

They were on a cruise ship with sick people. Only the very lucky among them haven't been exposed already. When they get sick, they'll be treated; in the meantime, they won't expose anyone else. Maybe they'll never have symptoms, as it seems the majority of those exposed don't. Under the circumstances, random testing seems of little value, since there's no early intervention that could be done anyway, and apparently no one knows if the test is reliable on asymptomatic patients.

Literally LOLing at the suggestions to just release them to self quarantine. You can't have met very many people if you think that would work. I can't even convince my older relatives, for whom infection could literally mean death, to stay home. If there's an interest in keeping then quarantined, they should be kept quarantined.

Soap works remarkably well against most things. The antibacterial and sanitizer thing became a fad two decades ago and unfortunately never went away.. there's actually a lot of very good reasons why you *should not* use antibacterial soaps

Literally LOLing at the suggestions to just release them to self quarantine. You can't have met very many people if you think that would work. I can't even convince my older relatives, for whom infection could literally mean death, to stay home. If there's an interest in keeping then quarantined, they should be kept quarantined.

“Literally LOLing” that you’re missing that your relatives will be as big a part of the problem as these folks at Miramar. And millions like them.

Quarantine for those folks IN THE CONDITIONS they’ve documented, is just an incubator, not a proper quarantine. All it’ll do is get some young Marines and food service contractors sick along with them. Zero point to it if not done properly.

Ran into a vending machine guy today and we joked that he was receiving all snacks from fully disinfected sources (no), and he was disinfecting the machines (one wipe a day). LOL.

There’s so many paths for the thing, it’ll get to everyone shortly. All the stay home stuff is just to slow it. The grocery stores will be the major spread point shortly.

The boat quarantine was for show. The airlines finished spreading it. Already done. They’ve been there about two weeks anyway.

Showtime in pretend land that keeping them there was useful, is almost over for them.

Oregon folks have been sent home from Miramar.
Oklahoma folks have been sent home from Miramar.
Idaho folks have been sent home from Miramar this morning.
California folks have been sent home from Miramar this morning.
My friends from Colorado still sit in limbo ...

My friends are on a plane from Miramar to home. ... SwiftAir ... is that a charter? Or ConAir's new corporate name? :) I think they were the last of the bunch in quarantine at MCRD Miramar.

My friends are on a plane from Miramar to home. ... SwiftAir ... is that a charter? Or ConAir's new corporate name? :) I think they were the last of the bunch in quarantine at MCRD Miramar.

Good. Hell I was as much a threat as they were by now, flying home.

Sadly they’ll be getting home just in time for lockdown next week. It’s coming.

At least they’ll be in their own beds now. :)

Back