License to Learn

Tfoster100

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Tim
When I passed my Private Pilot check ride last December the DPE said this is really more of a license to learn. I know most of you have probably heard that before. I have been continuing my learning with my instructor and reading and watching as much as I can since then. Also read the book the Killing Zone which is great if you haven't read it yet. The book focuses on the dangerous time between when you get your PPL and when you get 350 - 500 hours or more experience. You know just enough to be dangerous seems to be the theme.

It got me thinking it might be helpful to get a small group together in my area that are in this "zone". To help each other keep the momentum going and motivate each other to keep learning.

So I am looking for a small group in the Grapevine-Southlake-Colleyville-Keller Texas or near that area to maybe meet periodically for coffee to talk progress, learnings etc. Hope to find a group fairly close so we don't have to drive too far to meet.

Ideally looking for folks in the same general hours experience but open to others as well. Target for this would be 100 hours to 350 hours flight time already logged.

I'm thinking meeting in mornings periodically before work at a central location.

Let me know by PM or add a note to this thread with any thoughts or suggestions.

Thanks

When I passed my Private Pilot check ride last December the DPE said this is really more of a license to learn. I know most of you have probably heard that before. I have been continuing my learning with my instructor and reading and watching as much as I can since then. Also read the book the Killing Zone which is great if you haven't read it yet. The book focuses on the dangerous time between when you get your PPL and when you get 350 - 500 hours or more experience. You know just enough to be dangerous seems to be the theme.

It got me thinking it might be helpful to get a small group together in my area that are in this "zone". To help each other keep the momentum going and motivate each other to keep learning.

So I am looking for a small group in the Grapevine-Southlake-Colleyville-Keller Texas or near that area to maybe meet periodically for coffee to talk progress, learnings etc. Hope to find a group fairly close so we don't have to drive too far to meet.

Ideally looking for folks in the same general hours experience but open to others as well. Target for this would be 100 hours to 350 hours flight time already logged.

I'm thinking meeting in mornings periodically before work at a central location.

Let me know by PM or add a note to this thread with any thoughts or suggestions.

Thanks
That is a fantastic idea, I sure hope you can get it going. Please keep us posted.

Your idea is fairly solid but I would suggest that you also welcome those with more hours into your equation. They can be a great source of learning. POA is a pretty good forum and can be fun as well as educational at times but it pales in comparison to other chances to learn from others. These other sources would be:

Flying with CFIs besides or in addition to your current CFI in pursuit of additional ratings and endorsements or even some upset recovery and basic acro.

Flying with other pilot friends especially those with more experience. Fly out somewhere, swap seats and fly back.

Sitting around the FBO or people's hangars doing some hangar flying. Listen more than you talk. As they say, that is why you have two ears and only one mouth.

Attending FAA Wings meetings. Some folks put these down but they really can be quite educational.

Have fun!

Thanks. Great ideas we can work into the group once we get it started. And definitely open to others with more hours. Thanks.

Back