Liberty/Discovery XL 2

DMD3.

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
DMD3.
Here is a certified, 2-seat aircraft I didn’t realize existed until recently. Does anyone have any experience in owning or flying this aircraft? Could this be an affordable aircraft for someone on a budget? It looks like the cockpit is quite roomy for a 2-seater.

According to Wikipedia, the aircraft was built by Liberty in Melbourne Fl from 2004-2011, then manufacturing was resumed in 2018 by Discovery in 2018 to (presumaby) the present.

There aren’t currently any for sale on barnstormers or aso, and the website doesn’t list the price for a new one, though I can assume it’ll be more than I could afford, being a brand-new certified aircraft.

Did my instrument training in it. FADEC failed just prior to checkride so I had to hop into a PA28 for that. Solid little plane though with no real surprises. Excellent visability, 120 KTAS / 5.5 gal, finger brakes, controls a bit stiff which made landings a challenge.

I think a good alternative to someone who never uses the back seats on their C172/PA28 and wants something with a newer, more modern airframe. They can be gotten a good price on the used market as well. No idea about parts support from the new company though.

Oh, roomy cabin as well. They CFI I flew with must have been pushing 300 lbs and I don’t ever recall being cramped.

Oh, roomy cabin as well. They CFI I flew with must have been pushing 300 lbs and I don’t ever recall being cramped.

I’ve always been satisfied with the space of a Skyhawk and Cherokee cockpit. Not overly spacious, but not uncomfortable. A heavyset CFI can make it a bit tight, but it’s not terrible. On the other hand, I’ve around 30-40 hrs in a C150, and that cockpit is just too small. Even when flying solo, I did not really enjoy flying that aircraft (I’m 6, 3” but only 185 lbs.).

Unless it just sold there's one with either AOS or Indy Air for sale in Indiana. I've been intrigued but from what I've heard (yeah I know) that fadec engine is a bit of a bastard child.

I saw one at a show when they first came out and really liked it's looks. Sadly, so far I haven't been able to add one to my list of singles I've flown.

Allways needed the fuel injected Rotax in it

Back