LHR and British Airways Experience (rant)

TheTraveler

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
TheTraveler
Travel rant for anyone who is interested.

Recently had to go to Russia for business. Before the political jokes start, here is my full disclosure: Yes, I did go to Russia. Yes, I did talk to Russians. Glad that's over with, now nobody will come back next month and throw me out because I didn't specify that. :)

I had a fairly short notice in advance in which to book my travel, so I was stuck with price shopping this time. Settled on British Airways (who I don't normally travel with), ORD-LHR, LHR-DME. Great price, good departure times, good connection times, just a bad departure time on my return home (0530 flight from DME...ouch, that sucks).

ORD-LHR...get to the airport, everything is fantastic. My opinion, TSA has done a fantastic job of fixing up ORD. I haven't had more than a 5 minute wait since October, with the exception of protesters in my way when I'm trying to actually LEAVE the airport. I get to LHR and am a little surprised. Off the airplane, to the transfer desk. Passport check, VISA check, security screening, and then I'm at the gate. Call for boarding with another passport and VISA check, clear. Walk through and right in front of the jetway a British Airway's guy stops me for a passport and VISA check. Huh? I give him my stuff, and very politely commented it was odd they were checking again, I've had two in the past hour, and I've never cleared immigration in LHR as I'm just in transit. He says there isn't a problem, just checking. Whatever. Then he starts with these questions. How many people in my family back home? What is the origin of my last name? If I was born in the USA. I quickly became unhappy. I said "Sir, my passport, VISA, and ticket are all legit, and check out. Am I free to board?" He got very rude, told me to sit. I did not oblige "No thank you, I'll stand." He takes my passport and ticket, types some stuff into a computer, and just stands there for a few minutes. It is absolutely clear that he is just trying to delay me from boarding and **** me off. So I wait. In a few minutes he reluctantly hands over my stuff, I take it without a word, board, and muttered a few words to myself as I'm going down the jetway, but I let it go. No sense in letting it ruin my day.

LHR-ORD...now returning home, DME is simple. It's a great airport, especially for Russia. Get into LHR on time, all is fine. Have to take the transfer bus which I don't like, but that's life. I transfer from T5 over to T3, go in, and my LHR-ORD flight is operated by American Airlines (good news for me, as I prefer them over British Airways). In T3 I'm heading towards the gate, and if you are on AA87 LHR-ORD, you are shuffled into a transit desk even though you've already got a boarding pass. Whatever. Go up, she looks at my boarding pass, and starts to ask very personal questions. "Where do you work? Who is your boss? Why were you in Russia? What was the scope of your trip? Do you live in the US? How long have you been a US Citizen?" I am really surprised by this. Never in all of my travels have I ever been asked these questions, and they are so very strange to me. But there are other agents there asking other travelers the same things. So as calmly as I could I said "Ma'am, I am a born US citizen. I am returning to the US from a business trip. I have not, and will not clear immigration in the UK, I am simply a traveler in transit. If there is a problem, please tell me. If not, could you please return my documents so I can proceed to my gate?" Her scowl was unique to say the least, but after typing some stuff into her computer, she finally gave me my stuff back without a word. I go on to clear security screening, head to my gate, and once I get there I head over to the window and take a picture of the plane sitting at the gate. Those of you that see me on Facebook or Instragram know that I do this at nearly every single flight I take. A woman comes running over "Sir! Sir! Photos are not allowed at the gate!" Are you serious right now? You must be joking. I bit my tongue, but was certainly ready to let her have it. Even Iran let's people take pictures at the gate you crazy, insane witch with a plastic badge. GF!

It took about an hour for my bad mood to wear off, but it did. LHR has really ****ed me off. It is just a puzzle to me...passenger in transit, never clearing immigration and no need to, yet they interrogate passengers at LHR as if everyone is doing so. If I were clearing immigration that would be a completely different story. Never in my travels in any country, Europe, Middle East, Asia have I had such an experience. I'll be avoiding LHR for a while.

The good part is always coming home. Land at ORD 30 minutes early. Get through the passport control machine, head up to the CBP guy for my stamp, he looks at my shirt (sweatshirt from the fire department) and says "You're a firefighter?" I said "Yes, but only volunteer. I do work with departments every day. My full time position is with a company that manufactures firefighting equipment." He asks "Do you collect patches?" I said "I think everyone in the fire service collects patches." He said "Hold on one minute..." He goes over to the desk next to him, gets me three different CBP patches, shakes my hand, and says "Thank you for your service, you work a lot harder than we do. Stay safe, and welcome home." Now THAT made my trip right there. Grab my bag, head over to customs, and hand them my passport and receipt from the machine. I still have those patches in my hand. "Hey, you're a firefighter? And you got some of our patches?" I said "Yes! The officer over at passport control was nice enough to give me a few." She says "Welcome home, get out of here, be safe." Thank you CBP!

You know, some countries take terrorism a lot more serious than the US does, like Israel for instance. This is the word we live in. Hell you used to able to walk around a GA airport, now they have fences around them. I know you were irritated, but being difficult and impatient with authorities won't get you anywhere. I know how you feel. Right after 9/11 I was going through security as a pilot to fly a scheduled flight out of that airport. They went through my bag and made a big deal about 2 nail clippers I had and took them. I actually said you know, in 45 minutes I'm going to flying that big airplane there (pointed to the ATR-72) and you're worried about me having nail clippers?

You can't win. You just have to suck it up and comply.

You must have looked pretty shifty to them :). Maybe they thought you were a trump supporter :D.

It sounds like you ran into the israeli style behavioral profiling.

Be thankful you weren't transiting through and making a connection at a USA airport. Instead of a few document checks and questions one is actually required to go through the entire immigration process and enter the country. That includes collecting and re-checking your checked baggage for the connecting flight. Only country that I know that requires this.

My experience with LHR is quite the opposite. I lived and worked in the Middle East (was there on 9/11) and in the FSU. Because of the long troubles in Northern Ireland and the IRA threat I think the Brits have more experience dealing with terrorism than anyone except for the Israelis, and have superior and less obtrusive security measures than most US airports. I trust them to keep someone with a hidden weapon off an airplane far more than the TSA.

You know, some countries take terrorism a lot more serious than the US does, like Israel for instance. This is the word we live in. Hell you used to able to walk around a GA airport, now they have fences around them. I know you were irritated, but being difficult and impatient with authorities won't get you anywhere. I know how you feel. Right after 9/11 I was going through security as a pilot to fly a scheduled flight out of that airport. They went through my bag and made a big deal about 2 nail clippers I had and took them. I actually said you know, in 45 minutes I'm going to flying that big airplane there (pointed to the ATR-72) and you're worried about me having nail clippers?

I absolutely agree with most of that, and normally I am extremely patient and have no issues with security. The process and what it is designed to do is not lost on me at all. Of course whether it works or not is a completely different story.

What really got me going was that this didn't seem or feel at all like some kind of security event. These people weren't even from any security agency, they were all British Airline clerks. The usual questions (Did you pack your bags yourself? Did anyone ask you to handle any baggage for them? Do you know what is in your suitcase?) I understand and have no issue with. In addition, from the Middle East to Asia to Eastern Europe to South America to North America...never have received that kind of annoying, useless treatment.

Be thankful you weren't transiting through and making a connection at a USA airport. Instead of a few document checks and questions one is actually required to go through the entire immigration process and enter the country. That includes collecting and re-checking your checked baggage for the connecting flight. Only country that I know that requires this.

My experience with LHR is quite the opposite. I lived and worked in the Middle East (was there on 9/11) and in the FSU. Because of the long troubles in Northern Ireland and the IRA threat I think the Brits have more experience dealing with terrorism than anyone except for the Israelis, and have superior and less obtrusive security measures than most US airports. I trust them to keep someone with a hidden weapon off an airplane far more than the TSA.

Agree with that, especially with the weeding out and security screening. But this interaction was ridiculous. I could have given completely false answers and it would not have changed the situation. There is no way they would have known. Really? The history of my last name? Get real.

LHR. Enough said. What you experienced is routine there - it is the airport I *least* like to make an international connection in. I listen to other flyers complain about it regularly. It is even worse if you're originating there.... The "arm of doom" at security can result in 30 minutes or more of intrusive, invasive searches and questions.

LGW is no better. I got pulled aside for 30-ish minutes there because the security screener did not know what a hanging hook for a garment bag is. I s*** you not. They make the TSA look like the best customer service folks in the world.

I absolutely agree with most of that, and normally I am extremely patient and have no issues with security. The process and what it is designed to do is not lost on me at all. Of course whether it works or not is a completely different story.

What really got me going was that this didn't seem or feel at all like some kind of security event. These people weren't even from any security agency, they were all British Airline clerks. The usual questions (Did you pack your bags yourself? Did anyone ask you to handle any baggage for them? Do you know what is in your suitcase?) I understand and have no issue with. In addition, from the Middle East to Asia to Eastern Europe to South America to North America...never have received that kind of annoying, useless treatment.

I dunno but perhaps those agents are trained for that. It sure sounds that way. Maybe they don't have TSA like we do, but airlines there train their employees to perform like this.

I was coming back through border control from Canada a few years ago - well okay it was before the whole 9/11/TSA thing, and the US border agent was a total a-hole.

Him: "Can you show me your passport." (Question mark intentionally omitted.)
Me: (WTF do you need to see my passport for, normally I just show a drivers license.) "Can I use my drivers license?"
Him: "Did you not understand the question." (Again, question mark intentionally omitted.)
Me: "F(&%#$ a-hole." Reluctantly dig for a buried passport as I am surrounded by three more border agents.

Needless to say I did not have a pleasant experience nor did he (rather they) give me a warm welcome back to the US. These days I just STFU and don't engage in small talk even if it is innocuous.

Here are the patches the awesome TSA/CBP guy gave me.

Attachments

• IMG_0692.JPG
    IMG_0692.JPG
    298 KB · Views: 47
I was coming back through border control from Canada a few years ago - well okay it was before the whole 9/11/TSA thing, and the US border agent was a total a-hole.

Him: "Can you show me your passport." (Question mark intentionally omitted.)
Me: (WTF do you need to see my passport for, normally I just show a drivers license.) "Can I use my drivers license?"
Him: "Did you not understand the question." (Again, question mark intentionally omitted.)
Me: "F(&%#$ a-hole." Reluctantly dig for a buried passport as I am surrounded by three more border agents.

Needless to say I did not have a pleasant experience nor did he (rather they) give me a warm welcome back to the US. These days I just STFU and don't engage in small talk even if it is innocuous.

Coming into the US, I have never had a bad experience. Sure there are delays at TSA/CBP departing, but each and every time I come back inbound, I have found TSA/CBP to be very polite, and something that I have never heard said between agents and passengers in any other country..."Welcome home." That's just cool.

I dunno but perhaps those agents are trained for that. It sure sounds that way. Maybe they don't have TSA like we do, but airlines there train their employees to perform like this.

That actually crossed my mind, but I quickly put it out. Looks may be deceiving in some cases, but judging by the people who were questioning me I highly doubt it.

LHR. Enough said. What you experienced is routine there - it is the airport I *least* like to make an international connection in. I listen to other flyers complain about it regularly. It is even worse if you're originating there.... The "arm of doom" at security can result in 30 minutes or more of intrusive, invasive searches and questions.

LGW is no better. I got pulled aside for 30-ish minutes there because the security screener did not know what a hanging hook for a garment bag is. I s*** you not. They make the TSA look like the best customer service folks in the world.

FRA has got to be one of my absolute favorites. A lot of travelers don't like it because of how massive it is, and it can be difficult for some to navigate. But as much as I travel through there, the security is streamlined awesome, polite, no hassle, and while they do pull people aside, from what I've seen, it's not a bad experience. Even when ZOLL (German customs) gets involved, they are polite, but direct and efficient. I also love that it's like an entire city in there. For days, never have to leave the airport.

Coming into the US, I have never had a bad experience. Sure there are delays at TSA/CBP departing, but each and every time I come back inbound, I have found TSA/CBP to be very polite, and something that I have never heard said between agents and passengers in any other country..."Welcome home." That's just cool.

In general, that is normally my experience. I have noticed coming back through customs at SFO a few days ago that they have changed the procedures. Now you have to put your passport in a scanner in a kiosk, answer a few questions from a machine, and it takes your picture (and probably scans your retina, I don't know.) It gives you a receipt and you STILL have to go through passport control. I'm not sure what was accomplished by that extra step. I know they were doing that for non-US citizens for a while, but dammit, I am a citizen.

In general, that is normally my experience. I have noticed coming back through customs at SFO a few days ago that they have changed the procedures. Now you have to put your passport in a scanner in a kiosk, answer a few questions from a machine, and it takes your picture (and probably scans your retina, I don't know.) It gives you a receipt and you STILL have to go through passport control. I'm not sure what was accomplished by that extra step. I know they were doing that for non-US citizens for a while, but dammit, I am a citizen.
Aren't all the big ports of entry doing the scan everybody thing now? Gotta have time for the database search before ya get to the agent who may or may not be polite and welcome you back and perhaps even offer you some coleslaw and snapper or tuna. Personally the most I've ever gotten is a hearty welcome back in Atlanta after six months out of country.

...or have I mixed threads?...

Aren't all the big ports of entry doing the scan everybody thing now? Gotta have time for the database search before ya get to the agent who may or may not be polite and welcome you back and perhaps even offer you some coleslaw and snapper or tuna. Personally the most I've ever gotten is a hearty welcome back in Atlanta after six months out of country.

That I don't know. For the last ten years, all of my International flights have gone through SFO. I would imagine all of the big entry airports would be similar but I don't have first hand experience. They do seem to scrutinize me a little bit more when my claimed purpose for visiting SE Asia is business. (Well it is, it's kind of hard to argue otherwise when I have a residency visa.) They also know every little craphole you've visited during the course of the stay as well, that involved a border crossing or airplane flight.

I nearly always depart and return with my point of exit/entry being ORD, primarily because I don't want to transfer at a US port of entry, recheck my bags, etc. For at least the past 4 years we've had the machines and I love them.

In the past you had to stand in line, get up to the agent, who would then swipe or enter in your passport details, look up your info, check out the landing card you filled out on-board, maybe ask a few questions, and on you go. With the machines, it is certainly a time saver. Scan yourself, snap a photo, answer the questions, it takes 30 seconds. There are also about 40 of those machines and it saves time because by the natural time it takes for different people to get through the machine, the stream out of that area into the last check is pretty steady, but not crowded. The last step is simple. Agent checks your receipt, looks at your passport, asks a question to judge your response, and off you go.

If I was in the rear 1/4 of the plane with the old system, I'd end up standing in line sometimes for up to 30 minutes. Additionally there would be mixed visitors, immigrants, and citizens in the line, a lot of which took much more time to process. With the machines and the separation of citizens apart from everyone else, it's fly-through. I don't think I've had an inbound clearance after returning from abroad that took longer than 5 minutes, and that was because two jumbo's landed at the same time and the line got a little backed up.

On the other side, the line for visitors and immigrants still backs up...and I mean FAR! I've seen that line for visitors and immigrants go all the way back to the escalators, and that's got to be a 5 minute walk when it's empty.

I have more experience coming into the country in a GA airplane to smaller ports of entry. There is no consistency in procedure. Sometimes I think it depends on the individual officer.

I came back to DEN on an airline flight through Heathrow last summer and customs was nothing (in DEN). I was the only person at the kiosk and it took about 60 seconds. Unfortunately I had checked my bag and it took a long time for it to come out on the carousel, negating the short customs experience. The customs officers at Heathrow were pretty businesslike, but I didn't find them particularly intrusive. I thought it was stupid that i had to go through passport control and security twice. I understood it on my outbound leg since I had to change terminals, but the flight back was entirely in terminal 5.

Coming into the US, I have never had a bad experience.

I had the opposite. Going into LHR has always been fine for me, but entering the U.S. sometimes has been, ughm... less than stellar.

The worse was when I was going through customs at the Canadian border coming into Washington state. I had a little padlock through the zipper clasps of my luggage. I anticipated that the guy wanted to open it, so I stood there 3 feet away from him with the key in my hand holding it out and saying "Here's the key if you want to open it". He replied, "no need" - took some side-cutters out of his pants, and proceeded to cut the clasps of the zippers.

This was on a brand-new $400 luggage that I bought just before that trip.

Worse is - his side-cutters were big enough to cut through the lock if he wanted to. Which I wouldn't have cared about. But he specifically set out to destroy the luggage.

Last time I drove into Canada the Canadian border agent gave me gruff because I did not have a license plate on the front of my car. Front plates are not required in New Mexico. And that was the worse experience I have ever had of driving through Canada. I always enjoy driving through BC and Yukon. Gonna miss it this year.

There are now some US airports where, if you're traveling on specific airlines, you can do an international transit without reclaiming and rechecking your checked luggage. IAH with Star Alliance carriers is one of them.

Agree with that, especially with the weeding out and security screening. But this interaction was ridiculous. I could have given completely false answers and it would not have changed the situation. There is no way they would have known. Really? The history of my last name? Get real.

The carrier is liable if they bring someone to the USA that is denied admittance. The fact you were not "in the UK" made it more of an issue, because if they have to bring you back, unlike someone who was originating from inside the UK, what do they do?

I think a lot of this stuff is originating from the USA and it's hard ass approach to implementing new security instructions. Remember the frenzy just a few weeks ago over green card holders and dual-passport holders from certain countries. These are people who are residents and citizens being denied entry.

I recently had a flight from Calgary to Toronto on Air Canada. They sent me an email after I booked the ticket asking for personal information including passport number, date and place of birth, etc. in an online form format. I ignored the first two requests. On the third email there was a notice this information was required by USA authorities, and followed by bold block letters if I did not provide it I would be denied boarding. The flight clips US airspace on the way into the Niagara peninsula. I seriously doubt the Canadian government collects such info from US carriers flying between Alaska and the Lower 48.

I suppose only the paranoid survive...:D

Last time I drove into Canada the Canadian border agent gave me gruff because I did not have a license plate on the front of my car. Front plates are not required in New Mexico. And that was the worse experience I have ever had of driving through Canada. I always enjoy driving through BC and Yukon. Gonna miss it this year.

BC is one of only four Provinces in Canada that still have a front plate. Everyone else got rid of them years ago.

I had the opposite. Going into LHR has always been fine for me, but entering the U.S. sometimes has been, ughm... less than stellar.

The worse was when I was going through customs at the Canadian border coming into Washington state. I had a little padlock through the zipper clasps of my luggage. I anticipated that the guy wanted to open it, so I stood there 3 feet away from him with the key in my hand holding it out and saying "Here's the key if you want to open it". He replied, "no need" - took some side-cutters out of his pants, and proceeded to cut the clasps of the zippers.

This was on a brand-new $400 luggage that I bought just before that trip.

Worse is - his side-cutters were big enough to cut through the lock if he wanted to. Which I wouldn't have cared about. But he specifically set out to destroy the luggage.

That is a bad move, and I would have been extremely aggravated (to put it nicely). I've never had such a thing happen, though. Coming home has always been great. I have heard bad stories such as yours from Miami, but have never had such an experience. Admittedly though, I've only cleared in other airports aside from ORD a handful of times. A few at JFK and a few at LAX, both of which I dislike and avoid anyway, but more because they aren't nice places to be, less to do with CBP.

I do not think airline employees have the authority to ask for passport, I was asked once, I told her politely, get someone with authority and I will gladly hand it over. She was ****ed as hell, I didn't give a damn, waited till the security guys showed up and cleared me in a jiffy. Hate those people who make up rules in the name of security

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I do not think airline employees have the authority to ask for passport, I was asked once, I told her politely, get someone with authority and I will gladly hand it over. She was ****ed as hell, I didn't give a damn, waited till the security guys showed up and cleared me in a jiffy. Hate those people who make up rules in the name of security

Don't know where you got that idea. Most international flights require your photo documentation be shown along with your boarding pass to the gate agent.

I'm sure you'll go far in life habitually ****ing off airport employees. ;)

Don't know where you got that idea. Most international flights require your photo documentation be shown along with your boarding pass to the gate agent.

I'm sure you'll go far in life habitually ****ing off airport employees. ;)
Yes photo documentation to the agent, it's after the agent checking, it was on ramp, 3 seconds after the gate agent validated everything. And yes, I have that effect on some people

If you looked shifty and suspicious then, I can only imagine now. :)

The testiest experience I ever had was in Cambodia. Yeah, Cambodia.

Backdrop:

@Sac Arrow's Vietnam residency card expired, so he had to travel to Vietnam on a tourist visa. Nevermind it was for work. That is not important. Well the plan was to go there for three weeks, kick some ass on a project and then return home. A thirty day, single entry visa will work fine, right?

Enter the trip to Siem Reap. Yeah, #1 said 'Let's do it!'. Okay, so we all went, and the second I passed through Vietnam border control, they took my visa.

They took my visa. It never occurred to me that a trip to Cambodia would count as an exit from Vietnam. Well, logically, it would, but... well there I am. I got on the plane to Siem Reap, saw some Angkor Wat (again), partied with the UK college kids (again) and couldn't return. It took our attorney in Vietnam a week to get me permission entry status.

Finally I have it. The letter. It is written in Vietnamese. I have it on my Iphone. I go to the airport, try to board the Vietnam Airlines plane and....

No. They want a hard copy. Physically printed out. After about two hours of ranting, raving, and arguing in a combination of English and Vietnamese, the guy finally led me through a maze of offices to the Vietnam Airlines back office at the airport, where I spent about an hour connecting to their network through my phone, emailing the document and having them print it out. They let me board. The next flight.

Yay.

Then I get to Vietnam. The letter is exactly that. A letter. Not a visa. I have to go to obtain on arrival visa HELL. It took five hours at the counter, and about 1M VND both in fees and bribes to finally secure the visa. It was me and a bunch of Western looking hippy backpackers that either had no clue or no means trying to do the same thing. They let my partially smelly ass in. When I left their fully smelly asses were still there.

Sounds like you got the treatment of how everyone feels we treat everyone else in the world. Soon traveling to Europe will be harder once they require US citizens to have visas. It's all tit for tat.

Just be thankful you arn't coming through the US as a transit passenger, like the others have said. We're A-holes to any foreign transit passenger.

Most of my border crossings have been non events. I only had one incident were the UK wanted to deny me entry. It was a combination of the airline screwing up, my classmates screwing up, and me not knowing how to fill out their paperwork. Apparently you can't be a working student. Also make sure your bag doesn't go on the original flight without you and get picked up by a classmate as a courtesy.

Canada you just have to watch which lane you enter. Also don't talk to the inbound crew or your screwed. We had two crews fined and threatened for talking to each other. It's a major violation of sterile conditions according to them. If there was something acting up in the plane I normally write a note and leave it on the throttles.

It's better then my experiences with the TSA the last two months. Apparently they don't know how to handle a badge pilot going through security. I've gotten everything from just an escort through to a full pat down and luggage inspections. The latter is more common....

On the news today: TSA is to become 'more aggressive' in this pat downs, and flight crews will be subject to them, too.

Not sure what that means, but I hope it doesn't mean legalized rape.

Back