LGEZ long ez Rutan

xhase

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
xhase
i saw one of them the other day at RHV and i was thinking about buy one or getting a kit to make my own

I
i saw one of them the other day at RHV and i was thinking about buy one or getting a kit to make my own
I’m not sure they make kits for the long ez. They were always plans built if am remembering correctly. Spruce sells the plans and hardware needed.

I believe Spruce only sells Cozy plans. Burt stopped offering the Longeze plans back in the mid 80s. Too much liability. I’m sure you can find a copy of plans online though and get the parts from Spruce.

yeah i want to fly them when i get my private pilot liscense like its a good plane i wanted to fly them but the cozy is also a good plane

Find one to sit in first; I like the design and would own one but the canopy is too low for my head. My wife didn't look comfortable in the back seat either.

I would look at building a Cozy; much more room and probably not that many more hours to build it.

You aren't planning on doing aerobatics in it, are you?

The Long EZ and Cozy are efficient airplanes, fast for their power, and they look fantastic. But you do give up short field performance especially with obstructed steep approaches. If you care about that, compare with modern experimentals of conventional design like a Glasair Sportsman or RV.

Dig around on the internet and you will find plans for the "Open-Ez", which is a public domain plans-set for the Long-EZ. Rutan (and the Rutan Aircraft Factory) have (apparently) signaled that they aren't interested in the copyrights on those designs any longer, but do not want to be in the business of selling plans, so it is OK with them that the plans are in the public domain.

Back