Lets talk weather apps

Wrench978

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Wrench978
Other than big subscription based EFBs, what do you use for weather? Im not ready to buy foreflight, but I need something more than AeroWeather, which is a bit limited.

RadarScope is the best one that I've found, its 9.99$ in the App Store if I remember right. It uses raw Nexrad Radar and has several advanced features, I highly recommend it!

Intellicast is another. It has your basic features but gets the job done.

Geez, I just use the AWC web site, maybe throw in a non-aviation freeby site like WeatherUnderground. I have ForeFlight, but really don't use the weather all that much. . .

RadarScope is hands down the best radar app available.

Agreed! It's the closest thing to actual onboard radar as you can possibly get. It's only 2 min delayed depending on the product.

I also love the fact it shows Dual-Pol data.

I've been using MyRadar (free version:)) I think since it came out at the airline I flew at. Flying the jet I had onboard radar and it was a nice supplement to have prior to the flight. Still use it.

Last edited:
Agreed! It's the closest thing to actual onboard radar as you can possibly get. It's only 2 min delayed depending on the product.

I also love the fact it shows Dual-Pol data.
I also like how it allows you to adjust the tilt on the radar. I saw a local meteorologist take a screen shot using RadarScope and he posted it on Twitter. I thought I'd give it a try and it's well worth 9.99.

Other than big subscription based EFBs, what do you use for weather? Im not ready to buy foreflight, but I need something more than AeroWeather, which is a bit limited.

FlyQ is/was $39 for a year for VFR/IFR. Check the thread on here for link.

Aerovie has in my opinion, by far the best weather planning capabilities of any of the aviation apps - forecast radar and icing further out than any others I have seen, plus the vertical profile of your flight make it really useful from 3-4 days out. Has all the other stuff that foreflight (which I also use a lot and very much like) has. I think it is a bit cheaper than foreflight but definitely more expensive than non aviation apps though.

Aerovie has in my opinion, by far the best weather planning capabilities of any of the aviation apps - forecast radar and icing further out than any others I have seen, plus the vertical profile of your flight make it really useful from 3-4 days out. Has all the other stuff that foreflight (which I also use a lot and very much like) has. I think it is a bit cheaper than foreflight but definitely more expensive than non aviation apps though.

Plus 1 for Aerovie. However, it only works with Stratus clones not Stratus itself.

MyRadar + AeroWeather, both free. Fine for keeping track of the trends before the flight.

Here's mine

foreflight

Fltplan

Skyvector

Wunderground (GREAT for webcams)

I guess the big question is what you mean by "for weather". What weather specifically?
I like to get my information from multiple digital sources including AVG and NOAA's MOS forecasts, as already mentioned.
But it seems like you're getting a lot of answers anyway.

I guess the big question is what you mean by "for weather". What weather specifically?
I like to get my information from multiple digital sources including AVG and NOAA's MOS forecasts, as already mentioned.
But it seems like you're getting a lot of answers anyway.

I guess I thought I should be looking at more aviation related stuff. But I get Metars and TAFs from AeroWeather and I already had radar with WeatherBug (which seemed to work very well when we were at the airport waiting for a cell to blow by) so maybe Im overthinking what I need...

Back