Lets talk 5 in a family!

jmp470

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
John
Greetings all,
It has been a few years since I have been an active pilot, after selling my Cirrus in 2011. Lots of things have happened since then, and I'm looking to get back into aviation. I'm turning to the board, as I start my planning process. Since owning the Cirrus, we have had another child, for a total of 3 with one being special needs. I would like to have an airplane that can fit 6 people with bags. As I type this, and from the basic search that I did, I'm leaning towards a twin. I saw some twin topics that state around $350 per hour to run, is this about right? Also, the local airpark has lots available and the strip is 3,000 by 100. So all plane suggestions are welcome, as all planes are better than the one I currently own :D

My mission is purely non-work related and so that I can show my kids the United States.

If you can afford feeding the twin, that's a no brainer. Otherwise, a Cessna 210 or my choice, a PA32 will fit the bill.

I saw like 10 people get out of Ted's 310 at Gastons.
It was like a flying clown car.

Ted how many people does that plane hold?

I was a little drunk so it might have been 5 and I was seeing double.

I saw like 10 people get out of Ted's 310 at Gastons.
It was like a flying clown car.

Ted how many people does that plane hold?

I was a little drunk so it might have been 5 and I was seeing double.

Good we got that out of the way. The obvious answer is "310". Quite possibly the most perfect plane EVAH! ;)

I forgot he can discuss the 310
I can only recommend parachutes
and Everyone else... Bonanza :D

310! :D

Actually, I wouldn't jump to a 310. It can hold 6 people, but it doesn't do it well. We have 3 kids and if we were purchasing a plane to fly all 5 of us, I don't think we would get a 310.

How far is your standard mission? Since you say you want to show your kids the US, perhaps you don't have a particular distance and it can be more of a "As far as we feel like today" thing. Stop and smell the roses, etc.

An Aztec comes to mind first. This will be around a $250-300/hr plane to operate. It will haul 6 people and bags. It will haul anything you stuff in the door. It will haul cinder blocks and concrete. Or the Empire State Building.

I might have been exaggerating on that building. But only slightly.

Turbo Stationair

Why feed a twin when a single will do?

Because an Aztec will have a nicer cabin and cost less to own per mile than a Turbo Stationair, while having the benefit of the second engine and much more reliable engines.

Depending on mission and budget, I'd look at a DA62.

I have not decided on a budget yet... It all depends on the plane, if I finance, pay cash, etc.... but, I'm ok with about 50k running costs... If I build, then I can add hangar rent into that.

Ok... Minus a $4M plane, PC-12, what can realistically land on a Grass Strip?

I've been thinking about this: http://www.controller.com/listings/aircraft/for-sale/1411703/1983-vulcanair-partenavia-p68c

As the Airpark here is on grass. I do not want to move my kids from their school....

Having flown with my family of five, and having owned a Seneca. I would say a Malibu. The kids don't like oxygen masks and they don't like their ears popping. Check out mmopa.org

I have not decided on a budget yet... It all depends on the plane, if I finance, pay cash, etc.... but, I'm ok with about 50k running costs... If I build, then I can add hangar rent into that.

Ok... Minus a $4M plane, PC-12, what can realistically land on a Grass Strip?

A PA31. It'll eat that annual budget in a hurry though.

Cherokee 6 will haul it, but it won't do it quickly.

Composed by 1,000 monkeys pounding on 1,000 typewriters on Tapatalk.

500 or 600 Series Commander...Lots of interior room, easy in and out of the cabin. Very docile should you need to deal with an engine out situation. The airframe is built like Chicago Bridge and Iron did the structures work. The versions with geared engines take a little extra love and technique, but are rock solid birds.

500 or 600 Series Commander...Lots of interior room, easy in and out of the cabin. Very docile should you need to deal with an engine out situation. The airframe is built like Chicago Bridge and Iron did the structures work. The versions with geared engines take a little extra love and technique, but are rock solid birds.

An AC 500 might not be a bad idea.....but you won't fit it in a T-hangar if that is a consideration.

Pretty sure a PA60 would work. It'd might be tight with that runway though

Last edited:
Depending on mission and budget, I'd look at a DA62.
DA50 or 52 would have been really nice if they would have completed it. And it would fit the OPs mission parameters.

[Oops, he said he needs to seat the nanny too]

Clearly, everyone is overlooking the OBVIOUS choice.

Are all the Bonanza Pilots asleep today?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder why THE BIG RED HANDLE doesn't come out with a solid 6-seater.

I'm sorry, but a T206 is not an inexpensive plane. Maybe to operate, but not cheap to acquire.

You know darn well acquisition cost is just the tip of the iceberg.

It's insurance, fuel, maintenance, parts, bigger hangar, finding some goon to work on it, and a dozen other little things that eat your lunch on an exotic twin.

Twins are like some rich guy said in a movie ... "why have only one when you can have two for twice the price?"

Clearly, everyone is overlooking the OBVIOUS choice.

Are all the Bonanza Pilots asleep today?

I don't think there is a Bonanza that works for Six people with bags. Our A36TC does have six seats and if 1/2 of the pax are kids enough payload to fill all of them. It doesn't have the cubes to carry all the stuff that comes with 3 kids, particularly if one of them is special needs.

A PA32 has slightly more room due to the nose baggage compartment and a slightly bigger cabin. Still, 6 and bags is going to be pretty well stuffed.

That's why I said PA31. He stated that he sold a Cirrus and could swing 50k per year to operate, that would probably put him in a position to feed a Navajo. Plenty of them around, if you break something you wont have a mechanic who has never seen one before.

You know darn well acquisition cost is just the tip of the iceberg.

It's insurance, fuel, maintenance, parts, bigger hangar, finding some goon to work on it, and a dozen other little things that eat your lunch on an exotic twin.

Twins are like some rich guy said in a movie ... "why have only one when you can have two for twice the price?"
You are going to pay one way or another.

But I don't think an Aztec is an 'exotic' twin.

206s are great airplanes,but if he can comfortably fit 5 people and their luggage in one, he travels a heck of a lot lighter than I do.

per hour. I'm just trying to think of relatively affordable turboprops

The hourly cost in a Cheyenne II are not going to be much different from a King Air. Historically they have been a bit cheaper to buy and have fewere timed items.
Of course, with current fuel prices all this looks a bit better, but if you don't lie to yourself about things like required maintenance and 'rotable' reserves, you are probably looking at 650+ in proportional variable cost.

There is no 'affordable' turboprop :D Some of the Garrett fanboys will tell you that their planes are cheap to operate (long TBO, better specific fuel consumption), but their yearly bills are still pretty eyewatering.

Back