lets say i bought an iPhone

OK - but I don't have bluetooth on my car, nor do I have an iPhone connector available, so I can't connect it to my car's interface. I wanted to try an iPhone, but I use my DROID as a navigation device and a Pandora internet stereo so often, using a cable to connect to the aux in jack on my car, it would be hard to not have that as an option.

So you don't have the proper gear installed to operate the thing in the car, but you want it to ...

See the picture in the above post for "Car Mode." That happens as soon as the phone detects its in the Car Dock. I don't want to have to put the phone in a Ram mount and try to launch a special "Car App," I need it to happen as soon as I cradle the phone, for safety's sake.

... go into car mode in a dock you're going to purchase?

ROFL...

Let us know when you figure it out. :)

AFAIK the iPhone doesn't care if you're in the car, on the beach, or in Timbuktu... and it definitely doesn't have a "car mode" since you're supposed to be driving anyway.

For the record, my vehicle doesn't have bluetooth either. Note the Motorola "hanging from the visor"... the little Moto speakerphones work very well and have reasonable noise cancellation for automotive uses. Turn it on, it attaches to the phone. Phone can be in pocket, in center console, dog could have eaten it and it hasn't passed yet, but he's in the back of the truck, doesn't really matter...

RAM mount was mainly because I had an extra from the experiments with the iPad in the airplane. Otherwise, why would I even bother hanging the phone up somewhere? The Moto has an answer button on it, and it's in a convenient place on the visor above my noggin. I think they're like $40... cheap, works... I don't need to look at the phone for anything other than.........

GPS. If I use it at a GPS it goes in the RAM mount. Then it's up next to the rear-view so I'm not looking down while driving.

In the end, it's called "driving" not "phoning" so the phone can wait, and not even be out of my pocket unless it's safe to mess with it.

Last edited:
I will admit, however, that Tom-Tom has a rather sardonic sense of humor when it comes to routing. My dear Tom-Tom has routed me over "roads" that scared me more than my worst day of flying (which happened to involve a near mid-air, just by way of comparison). Roads that you can feel crumbling away beneath you as you drive upon them. Roads that even the local deer and bears avoid when they're sober.

Roads like this one:

tom1.jpg

tom2.jpg

But hey, what's life without some excitement?

While Tom-Tom provides navigation and excitement, Sirius provides music. There's pretty much zilch in the way of commercial radio here, so everyone has Sirius. We have Sirius in the car, Sirius at home, and Sirius playing over the sound system at the supermarket. Sixties on Six usually, because we have a lot of old farts in this town.

What's wrong with that road? Looks good to me. Oh, yeah, I drive a Jeep. :D

The Sirius radio in my wife's Jeep Commander is typically on Sixties on Six. Who are you calling 'old'? :D:D

What's wrong with that road? Looks good to me. Oh, yeah, I drive a Jeep. :D

The Sirius radio in my wife's Jeep Commander is typically on Sixties on Six. Who are you calling 'old'? :D:D

So's mine, in my 2000 Sportage. :yes:

I have the house setup, too. Yank it out of the cradle in the car, and pop it into the cradle in the house. Oldies all day, and only one bill!

As for the road, that's actually not the worst of them. There was one that was so bad I was afraid to peel my white-knuckled hands of the steering wheel to get the phone out of the holster. Tom-Tom routing is not for the faint of heart.

-Rich

Back