lets say i bought an iPhone

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
Is there a car dock available that allows the iPhone to automatically detect its in car mode?

Is there a good free turn by turn navigation option?

Is there a way to manage and maintain it without using iTunes?

Is there a car dock available that allows the iPhone to automatically detect its in car mode?
I'm not sure what you mean by this, but I have my iPhone paired to my car through Bluetooth so when it rings I can answer with the button on the steering wheel. Of course your car would need Bluetooth to do this.

Google maps now has turn by turn. Not sure what you mean by car mode, but there are apps that detect you are driving and can do certain things you ask it to do, e.g. connect to your cars Bluetooth.

I'm not sure what you mean by this, but I have my iPhone paired to my car through Bluetooth so when it rings I can answer with the button on the steering wheel. Of course your car would need Bluetooth to do this.

On my DROID, I have a dock that mounts to my windshield. When I put the phone in it, it detects that it is in a car dock and automatically enters car mode, where calls are automatically pushed to the speaker or Bluetooth, the menu is changed to a specific car app and text messages are read aloud.

Similarly, if you get the music dock, it detects it and launches whatever app for music you want.

Oh forgot to mention for music I use spotify. it has all the music I need and I don't need to buy anything. It is however a subscription service, but like with my Netflix I am more than happy with it.

On my DROID, I have a dock that mounts to my windshield. When I put the phone in it, it detects that it is in a car dock and automatically enters car mode, where calls are automatically pushed to the speaker or Bluetooth, the menu is changed to a specific car app and text messages are read aloud.

Similarly, if you get the music dock, it detects it and launches whatever app for music you want.
I see. I have no physical dock. The phone automatically goes into car mode when I start the car, even if it's in my pocket.

There is no such device for the isuck phone. My Droid, like yours, works flawlessly in this, and most other, regards. My isuck phone is so far behind the technology curve it's comical.

My iPhone is paired with my car's BT. No dock, wire, whatever.

I use Google maps for nav as Apple's is really poor. As with any phone, apple or droid, nav takes a lot of Battery power so I only use it for local ops.

Depending on the make and model of car, you may or may not have BT and/or built in dock. There are tons of aftermarket BT devices for connecting.

Cheers

Is there a good free turn by turn navigation option?

Is there a way to manage and maintain it without using iTunes?

Howdy!
I've owned Droids and car docks since the Nexus (original), and I've had a work iPhone for the last 6 years. Your answers:

1. There's no car dock for the Iphone. It has no magnet like the Droid to tell it that it's in a dock. There's no way I have found to keep the screen alive when it's charging (except Google Maps, see below).

2 - Google Maps for IPhone now has turn-by-turn. It works great, just as good Droid. On my IPhone 4s, it keeps the screen from going to sleep.
So, you can use a dock and plug it in, GMaps will keep it awake. If you're not in maps, then nope. So you lose the ability to interact with the device in the dock.

3 - Since the iOS update a few cycles ago that uses iCloud, I haven't used iTunes. My phone and ipad have never touched itunes (my Droid handles all the music).

Waze is my favorite turn-by-turn direction program for the Iphone. It's free and its community driven which is kinda cool. Anytime you come across a crash/traffic hazzard/police activity/etc you can 'mark it' on the map for others to see..theres quite a few users (although i'm just outside of Chicago so i cant speak for unpopulated areas)..but its a good program....

I don't have BT in my car and I do like car holders. I have an aux audio input so I use the docks from ProclipUSA (http://www.proclipusa.com/) and have a cable from the connector at the bottom of the dock to my audio input. It also charges my iPhone because I have power routed to the dock. I did all this with off the shelf parts, no drilling, wiring, nor soldering.

I have a 6-year-old Tom-Tom GPS that has never been updated, a phone, and a Plantronics Voyager Pro BT headset that survived a wash, rinse, and tumble dry when I forgot to check my jacket pocket before washing my clothes.

-Rich

Google maps now has turn by turn. Not sure what you mean by car mode, but there are apps that detect you are driving and can do certain things you ask it to do, e.g. connect to your cars Bluetooth.

It doesn't need to know it's in a car. All the paired bluetooth devices in range are available on the screen when the call is placed/answered. I've got several devices paired with mine: the car bluetooth, my plantronics earwig, my Lightspeed's, the switching takes place automatically (as long as you don't have multiple ones turned on to choose from).

The iPhone dock does have an audio path on the bottom, so if your dock is wired into the car stereo (or whatever) dropping it in the dock will mute the internal speaker or earphone jack. If the dock doesn't have audio, it provides power, but doesn't inhibit the speaker/earphone jack.

Last edited:
The latest GOOGLE map for the iPhone has turn by turn that works pretty well. It's certainly a whole lot better than the abortion that Apple dumped on the community which uses a map database that is derived from several decades old census map data. I had gone around fixing GOOGLE, NAVTEQ and TelaAtlas's goofed up idea of the streets in my neighborhood which direct drivers over the active ruwnay here and got all that squared away and now the damned apple (TOMTOM) maps resurface that error.

Doesn't sound like it will do what I need. Dang, I was actually considering one.

Thanks guys.

I used the stock maps on the iPhone and had it next to my Garmin on a drive. Worked just as well. Turn by turn, same voice and the graphic were as good.

I used the stock maps on the iPhone and had it next to my Garmin on a drive. Worked just as well. Turn by turn, same voice and the graphic were as good.

Yeah, but without a car dock that allows the device to detect that it is docked and give me drive friendly buttons and functions, the phone would be too much of a distraction in an unknown area.

This is what the homescreen looks like on a DROID when docked.
carhome+in+dock.png

That's what I'd like to have happen when docking an iPhone for it to work for me.

RAM mount and a cabled connection to the factory stereo for my iPhone, works fine for me. Bluetooth speakerphone from Motorola on the visor. "iPad" controls available via the factory stereo and steering wheel. Mapquest App works well for navigation.

Been using that setup for a few years now. What is it that makes these things so hard to figure out? I think it took about five minutes with Google to come up with that, long ago.

RAM mount and a cabled connection to the factory stereo for my iPhone, works fine for me. Bluetooth speakerphone from Motorola on the visor. "iPad" controls available via the factory stereo and steering wheel. Mapquest App works well for navigation.

Been using that setup for a few years now. What is it that makes these things so hard to figure out? I think it took about five minutes with Google to come up with that, long ago.

OK - but I don't have bluetooth on my car, nor do I have an iPhone connector available, so I can't connect it to my car's interface. I wanted to try an iPhone, but I use my DROID as a navigation device and a Pandora internet stereo so often, using a cable to connect to the aux in jack on my car, it would be hard to not have that as an option.

See the picture in the above post for "Car Mode." That happens as soon as the phone detects its in the Car Dock. I don't want to have to put the phone in a Ram mount and try to launch a special "Car App," I need it to happen as soon as I cradle the phone, for safety's sake.

If the iPhone can do it, and no one has mentioned it yet, I'd be very excited, but it sounds like this is a feature that is missing...

OK - but I don't have bluetooth on my car, nor do I have an iPhone connector available, so I can't connect it to my car's interface. I wanted to try an iPhone, but I use my DROID as a navigation device and a Pandora internet stereo so often, using a cable to connect to the aux in jack on my car, it would be hard to not have that as an option.

See the picture in the above post for "Car Mode." That happens as soon as the phone detects its in the Car Dock. I don't want to have to put the phone in a Ram mount and try to launch a special "Car App," I need it to happen as soon as I cradle the phone, for safety's sake.

If the iPhone can do it, and no one has mentioned it yet, I'd be very excited, but it sounds like this is a feature that is missing...
Obviously, you need to buy an iPhone friendly car :rofl:

Doesn't sound like it will do what I need. Dang, I was actually considering one.

Really? Didn't you have one a couple years ago and didn't like it?

Sorry man, but if I didn't know better I'd think you were trolling.

It sounds like this "car mode" thing is the only thing that we haven't found an iPhone solution for. There may be an app that does that sort of thing - I've used one on the iPad called MotionX Drive that had some bigger buttons IIRC but I have no idea what it looks like on the iPhone.

Frankly, when I'm in the car I prefer to use voice directions, not weird oversize buttons.

Also, WRT Apple vs. Google maps, I have both and I've actually left them both running simultaneously on some trips. The main difference is that Apple isn't as good as Google at having everything in there - I've searched for a store a couple of times and found that not all the locations are there in Apple's maps. Routing is a wash, they're both pretty good. That said, I've found Apple's driving directions to be better. Google will sometimes wait until the last minute and then tell you to "exit now". So, overall it's pretty much a wash. I'm gonna keep both.

Really? Didn't you have one a couple years ago and didn't like it?

Sorry man, but if I didn't know better I'd think you were trolling.

It sounds like this "car mode" thing is the only thing that we haven't found an iPhone solution for. There may be an app that does that sort of thing - I've used one on the iPad called MotionX Drive that had some bigger buttons IIRC but I have no idea what it looks like on the iPhone.

Frankly, when I'm in the car I prefer to use voice directions, not weird oversize buttons.

Also, WRT Apple vs. Google maps, I have both and I've actually left them both running simultaneously on some trips. The main difference is that Apple isn't as good as Google at having everything in there - I've searched for a store a couple of times and found that not all the locations are there in Apple's maps. Routing is a wash, they're both pretty good. That said, I've found Apple's driving directions to be better. Google will sometimes wait until the last minute and then tell you to "exit now". So, overall it's pretty much a wash. I'm gonna keep both.

No troll. Last time I had an iPhone was when the Gen 1 or Gen 2 iPhone came out, and I figure they've probably gotten better since then. I'm about to switch carriers, and to be honest, my last Droid was a bit of a let-down, and the software updates seemed to have just made it wonkier, especially with regards to the on-screen keyboard, which I know Apple has always done well.

But a dealbreaker for me is not having a car mode for the phone. Here's how a typical business trip (and an upcoming move) looks:

Get off the airplane and rent a car. Slap the car dock on the windscreen. Slap the phone into the cardock and tap the oversized "Navigation" button. Speak my destination as "Navigate to 123 XXX Street." Follow the instructions. When a call comes in, press "answer" and use speakerphone. If the road noise is too loud, pick the phone out of the cradle (it just slides in) and it dumps out of speaker phone automatically. When the call is done, I slide it back into the cradle and it resumes car mode. If I want tunes, I tap the oversized Pandora button. When a text message comes in, I hear "New Text Message from 'Sender'," to which I can respond "Listen" and it will play it out loud for me. When I arrive at my destination, I remove the phone from the dock, it automatically exits car mode, and its just a normal phone again.

While its in the dock, its charging the whole time.

At no point am I looking at the screen to press a button. Since I often travel with my son in the backseat, I'd rather not have to divert attention off the road. It sounds nit-picky, but it is a huge requirement for me. The Car dock reduces the number of buttons available on screen to 6, but they're big buttons, and they're the things you'd need in a car - Music, Navigation, Phone, Contacts, Voice Command, etc.

Hmmm, I was thinking about going to the Note for my T-Mo phone, and I have an old 3Gs iPhone for work. Luckily they have reciprocity on each others networks.

I just put in an Alpine stereo in my wife's 2000 Windstar that has Bluetooth, iPod/iPhone controls, Aux input and USB port for $149.00 including the wiring harness and installation kit. (Crutchfield)
When she gets in the car, her phone ( a Verizon feature phone) automatically connects via Bluetooth and she has speakerphone. If I'm driving it hooks to my DROID and I can do streaming audio or speakerphone. She thinks she has just moved into the 21st century. :D

No troll. Last time I had an iPhone was when the Gen 1 or Gen 2 iPhone came out, and I figure they've probably gotten better since then. I'm about to switch carriers, and to be honest, my last Droid was a bit of a let-down, and the software updates seemed to have just made it wonkier, especially with regards to the on-screen keyboard, which I know Apple has always done well.

But a dealbreaker for me is not having a car mode for the phone. Here's how a typical business trip (and an upcoming move) looks:

Get off the airplane and rent a car. Slap the car dock on the windscreen. Slap the phone into the cardock and tap the oversized "Navigation" button. Speak my destination as "Navigate to 123 XXX Street." Follow the instructions. When a call comes in, press "answer" and use speakerphone. If the road noise is too loud, pick the phone out of the cradle (it just slides in) and it dumps out of speaker phone automatically. When the call is done, I slide it back into the cradle and it resumes car mode. If I want tunes, I tap the oversized Pandora button. When a text message comes in, I hear "New Text Message from 'Sender'," to which I can respond "Listen" and it will play it out loud for me. When I arrive at my destination, I remove the phone from the dock, it automatically exits car mode, and its just a normal phone again.

While its in the dock, its charging the whole time.

At no point am I looking at the screen to press a button. Since I often travel with my son in the backseat, I'd rather not have to divert attention off the road. It sounds nit-picky, but it is a huge requirement for me. The Car dock reduces the number of buttons available on screen to 6, but they're big buttons, and they're the things you'd need in a car - Music, Navigation, Phone, Contacts, Voice Command, etc.

I dunno... I prefer separate devices.

My GPS navigates. That's all it does. Considering that it's old and has never been updated -- roads don't change a whole lot up here -- it does okay. It also has a nice big screen, and it's conveniently glued to the dashboard so it doesn't fall off on the rough roads. The duct tape wasn't cutting it. Gorilla Glue is great stuff.

I will admit, however, that Tom-Tom has a rather sardonic sense of humor when it comes to routing. My dear Tom-Tom has routed me over "roads" that scared me more than my worst day of flying (which happened to involve a near mid-air, just by way of comparison). Roads that you can feel crumbling away beneath you as you drive upon them. Roads that even the local deer and bears avoid when they're sober.

Roads like this one:

tom1.jpg

tom2.jpg

But hey, what's life without some excitement?

While Tom-Tom provides navigation and excitement, Sirius provides music. There's pretty much zilch in the way of commercial radio here, so everyone has Sirius. We have Sirius in the car, Sirius at home, and Sirius playing over the sound system at the supermarket. Sixties on Six usually, because we have a lot of old farts in this town.

But I also have CDs of MP3s of oldies that I've burned in the center console, just in case I find the one spot in North America where Sirius doesn't work. And if even that fails, I can always sing.

I use my phone as, well, a phone. I hate speakerphones in general because I know how crappy they sound on the other end, so I use a Bluetooth headset, which sounds slightly less crappy. Just in case I forget to bring it with me, I have an el-cheapo wired headset in the glove box. I think it cost four bucks at Dollar General, but it sounds almost as crappy as speakerphones costing many times that amount.

Frankly, though, I prefer not talking on the phone at all while driving. I'm not a big phone person, anyway, and I rarely call anyone unless I have an actual, specific reason for making the call at that particular time, which rarely is the case when I'm driving. I'll answer it, however, assuming that I'm unlucky enough to actually be someplace where there's a signal when it rings.

So really, I understand that we're all different, but I'm having a hard time wrapping my brain around why you (and many others) prefer one device to do half a dozen different things. If that one device conks out, you're up the creek. Or worse yet, you could be up one of those roads that Tom-Tom routed me over, which would be a lot worse than being up any creek that I've yet to come across.

-Rich

Last edited:
I have no problem with the using the speakerphone in my car but I haven't warmed up to turn-by-turn directions. My flying buddies love to use their phones that way but I still prefer a paper map.

I dunno... I prefer separate devices.

My GPS navigates. That's all it does. Considering that it's old and has never been updated -- roads don't change a whole lot up here -- it does okay. It also has a nice big screen, and it's conveniently glued to the dashboard so it doesn't fall off on the rough roads. The duct tape wasn't cutting it. Gorilla Glue is great stuff.

I will admit, however, that Tom-Tom has a rather sardonic sense of humor when it comes to routing. My dear Tom-Tom has routed me over "roads" that scared me more than my worst day of flying (which happened to involve a near mid-air, just by way of comparison). Roads that you can feel crumbling away beneath you as you drive upon them. Roads that even the local deer and bears avoid when they're sober.

Roads like this one:

tom1.jpg

tom2.jpg

But hey, what's life without some excitement?

While Tom-Tom provides navigation and excitement, Sirius provides music. There's pretty much zilch in the way of commercial radio here, so everyone has Sirius. We have Sirius in the car, Sirius at home, and Sirius playing over the sound system at the supermarket. Sixties on Six usually, because we have a lot of old farts in this town.

But I also have CDs of MP3s of oldies that I've burned in the center console, just in case I find the one spot in North America where Sirius doesn't work. And if even that fails, I can always sing.

I use my phone as, well, a phone. I hate speakerphones in general because I know how crappy they sound on the other end, so I use a Bluetooth headset, which sounds slightly less crappy. Just in case I forget to bring it with me, I have an el-cheapo wired headset in the glove box. I think it cost four bucks at Dollar General, but it sounds almost as crappy as speakerphones costing many times that amount.

Frankly, though, I prefer not talking on the phone at all while driving. I'm not a big phone person, anyway, and I rarely call anyone unless I have an actual, specific reason for making the call at that particular time, which rarely is the case when I'm driving. I'll answer it, however, assuming that I'm unlucky enough to actually be someplace where there's a signal when it rings.

So really, I understand that we're all different, but I'm having a hard time wrapping my brain around why you (and many others) prefer one device to do half a dozen different things. If that one device conks out, you're up the creek. Or worse yet, you could be up one of those roads that Tom-Tom routed me over, which would be a lot worse than being up any creek that I've yet to come across.

-Rich

The reason I prefer one device to do it all is because I always have my phone with me. So when I travel, I don't have to remember to bring 5 different devices with me:

1. Alarm Clock
2. GPS
3. MP3 Player
4. Phone
5. Laptop

Bringing each of those with me often means the difference between checking a bag on a business trip or carrying everything on (or vice versa, depending on which you prefer). I just need my phone and the dock, which collapses to a very small profile. Those two together give me everything I want in any location in the world (not just in the US), and with the expansion of cell networks, I am pretty much guaranteed to get the most up to date maps of an unknown area that a Tom-Tom may not afford.

The reason I prefer one device to do it all is because I always have my phone with me. So when I travel, I don't have to remember to bring 5 different devices with me:

1. Alarm Clock
2. GPS
3. MP3 Player
4. Phone
5. Laptop

Bringing each of those with me often means the difference between checking a bag on a business trip or carrying everything on (or vice versa, depending on which you prefer). I just need my phone and the dock, which collapses to a very small profile. Those two together give me everything I want in any location in the world (not just in the US), and with the expansion of cell networks, I am pretty much guaranteed to get the most up to date maps of an unknown area that a Tom-Tom may not afford.

Geez... I guess I need to brush up on my humor...

-Rich

It sounds like this "car mode" thing is the only thing that we haven't found an iPhone solution for.
My work isuck phone can't even wrap text when enlarging font size by unsqueezing (?). That was a function of Droid v. 1.00

That said if you don't have a BT vehicle this Android feature seems like something that would be pretty darn useful. One of my criticisms of iOS is that some key menu features are buried beneath too many layers.

Get off the airplane and rent a car. Slap the car dock on the windscreen. Slap the phone into the cardock and tap the oversized "Navigation" button. Speak my destination as "Navigate to 123 XXX Street." Follow the instructions.

With the iPhone, no car dock and no pressing the "Navigation" button. Just hold the home button for a moment, say "Give me directions to xxx" and you're on your way.

When a call comes in, press "answer" and use speakerphone. If the road noise is too loud, pick the phone out of the cradle (it just slides in) and it dumps out of speaker phone automatically. When the call is done, I slide it back into the cradle and it resumes car mode.

Or you use a bluetooth or wired headset, answer with a physical button rather than an on-screen one of any size, and don't worry about road noise. I'll never use speakerphone in a car, 'cuz it'll always suck at the other end IMO. In addition, pulling the phone out of the cradle is probably a worse distraction than a quick button push. The answer and speaker buttons are pretty large on the iPhone.

If I want tunes, I tap the oversized Pandora button.

Again, this is the sort of thing that voice is good for. Hold the button for a sec, say "Launch Pandora," and listen away.

When a text message comes in, I hear "New Text Message from 'Sender'," to which I can respond "Listen" and it will play it out loud for me.

Same thing. Say "Read new messages".

When I arrive at my destination, I remove the phone from the dock, it automatically exits car mode, and its just a normal phone again.

I guess I still don't see the need for a specific "car mode".

The problem is Siri doesn't work with voice very well.

Back