Let's play

Richard

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ack...city life
Ghery's plight has me thinking:

let's say a guy needs to go from A to B. (MIA-->SEA?) What is shortest amount of time he can arrive at his destination by jumping onto various POA member's a/c? Assume no wx or mx delays or deviations, diect routing, SUA no factor, ATC deviations no factor, the next plane down the line is engines running, holding short #1 for departure. Cost no factor although fuel and bladder capacity are definately factors.

Tip; use bladder endurance to plan next stop.

Richard said:
the next plane down the line is engines running, holding short #1 for departure.

Holding short for midfield departure could save a few minutes per plane swap. :D

Interesting concept. I might even be able to use a slower version of this plot from montana or such to COS area in a few months...

Air-hiking has great potential to be fun.

When I was in 3rd grade the class was given an assignment. The teacher assigned the topic, "Why I want to join the circus". Well, I didn't want to join the circus, I wanted to crew on ships so my essay was all about being on ships.

I thought it was a great essay, my mom thought it was a great essay, my older brother thought it was a great essay. The teacher thought it sucked. Her reason is because I didn't focus on the topic.

Graashopper, stay on topic.

EDIT: It has come to my attention my alter ego beat me to the keyboard. What he meant to say was:

what would one have to do to arrange an air hike across the country? As long as you're thinking about it, let's say he wants to make the trip in the shortest amount of time.

Last edited:
Assuming everyone or at least someone can participate for each necessary leg:

(1) Need a master list of all potentially participating POA members home airports. The list would be everyone that would be available then edit as needed for the best routing.

(2) Need to know where each can reasonably fly from-to without being an excessive burden on any one and staying within unrefueled/potty range.

(3) Then it's coordination to chain them all together in sequence and on time.
If the previous flight can't land at the next POA airplane base, the next plane would have to meet them somewhere, say 50-100 miles then continue on. For that matter, it might actually work out easier for each pilot to keep their home airport roughly in the center of their needed routing and do a 3 leg XC.

To start with, I'd take a wall planning chart and mark the home airports with an appropriate range circle for a reasonable enroute time for each plane. Then make sure each circle has the previous/next circle overlap on each end of the route to meet up at an airport. Then string them together in sequence. Email out the planning route to verify everyone can do it, adjust as necessary, verify with everyone, file the working flight plan with everyone involved and launch.

This sounds a bit like Airlifeline just with an air-hiker instead of sick pax and doing multiple legs.

Last edited:
Interesting idea. Hitchhike across the country by airplane. Might not be much slower than the airlines on a bad day (or two).

Now, this 'plight' does have a silver lining. I just spent a very enjoyable three hours in the chat room. I don't usually have time to do that. And, I'm dodging having to trim some trees tomorrow morning (I suspect, however, that I am just delaying the inevitible).

Back to the thread...

Back