Lengthly medical history for aspiring pilot

David Contreras

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
dc9
Hello,
I been interested in learning to fly and ultimately making it a career. Went to my local flight school and got information on how to get started. I was told I should do my FAA medical exam first. I’m a little concerned if I’ll have my FAA medical approved. I’m 24 and last year suddenly I found out I had a pituitary tumor non cancerous in my brain. Had surgery and got it removed but was in the ICU for 2 weeks. However, I’m still having to go the doctor every couple of months for MRI and bloodwork. And have to take medication twice weekly the medication will require special issuance. Given all the information how difficult will it be get my 1st class medical?

Maybe one of the AME's that frequent this site will be able to give you some insight. Until then, whatever you do, DON'T apply for a medical certificate. Find a good, knowledgeable AME and schedule a consultation with them to go over your case and what you can expect process wise and the odds of a successful outcome. Then you can decide if you want to pursue the medical certificate. Good Luck!

I agree with the former. However, non-malignant tumors are generally not a big thing. You'll want to scrounge up all the reports on the surgery you have.
What medication are we talking about?

Pinging Doctor Lou and Doctor Bruce for their input. @lbfjrmd @bbchien

I don't recall the specific guidance, but I think Dr. Bruce has discussed Pituitary Gland issues before. A search of this forum might find the past thread.

The drug is probably OK, but the combination of it and your condition is likely going to end up in SI land.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back