Length Between flight

Steven8385

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Steven8385
What is the average length of time you go in between flights? Not talking trips, more how often do you fly.

I think that all really depends on many factors. Income, rent vs own, business vs recreation, etc. Personally I rent and fly recreationally once or twice a month when I'm home. If I had more disposable income though, I would fly a lot more, but then I'd probably have my own airplane, or maybe even live at an airpark and fly every day. One can dream I suppose.

I don't like it when 3 weeks have gone by and I haven't been up, but the last 2.8 in the arrow with cfi kind of hurt my wallet. also hasn't been the greatest flying wx 'round here.

I fly at the whims of specific weather sometimes I get consecutive days, other times it can be more then a month between flights.

Been trying to get up once a week, even if it's just touch and goes. My average for this year is about every 2 1/2 weeks. :yes:

Last edited:
sometimes it's months. We fly to travel, if work schedules are such that we don't do any personal travel, then we don't fly.

Depends on the wx. During winter I can go for months between flights, during periods of better wx not so much.

About one trip a week but it varies. I fly based on work and pleasure trip planning so some weeks I have two business trips and a weekend away and then it'll be 2-3 weeks at home without traveling. I haven't gone to the airport to just fly around or do pattern work in over a decade.

A lot of factors determine frequency. Sometimes it's a couple times/week but if I'm out of the country on business it can be over a month.

Averages to about once a week.
Flew 3 times this week but I don't see myself going back up for probably 2 more weeks.

Friday out and Sunday home from the end of April til early October with mid-week freight or impromptu fishing flights tossed in. The Friday and Sunday flights will go unless the weather is so bad we can't, and that takes pretty nasty weather. If we have company going I'll make multiple trips. Winter flying is a pain and becomes more infrequent the older I get. Preheating, shoveling snow, and dealing with airplane covers in the cold and wind isn't as much fun as it used to be.

I go in phases.malthough since I've only been certified for a year, it's hard to draw too much of a pattern. When I'm in flying mode I try to fly at least once every other week. I took five months off from December and since May, I've been trying to fly at least once a week and I figure I'll take another pause after July or August.

Much of the time, I fly daily -- often twice a day. The longest I go is usually about 7-10 days, but that doesn't happen often. But since I'm a working flight instructor, I might not be the person whose experience reflects what you want to know.

Not in a powered craft since November of '13. Getting ready to solo in a non-powered craft, just waiting for the proper weather window. Tomorrow looks good, I may be taking the day off to fly.

at one point late last weekend i managed to get a coffee between flights. though most was spilled in the runup :)
#thelifeofaCFI
In all seriousness; it's about Personal Minimums. With the long days of summer it's easy to launch for a $100 burger dinner and arrive home after dark. We all know how aviation sucks time.
After a break of 30 days i see a real degradation of Situational Awareness. Not Stick & Rudder, but traffic, runway awareness and checklist discipline. You may think you're flying fine, but there's stuff being missed.
The 3 takeoffs/90 days rule is very generous, especially as the following 90 day period is a reset of the previous. You could not fly for 89 days, do half an hour of T&G's and stay on the ground for another 89 days and be legal. That's almost 6 months out of the system.
Many schools & insurers prefer a rolling 30 day currency. it's a good comprimise of time vs money i believe. Personally i'm very careful after 15 days not flying, and wouldn't hesitate to grab a CFI for night or an Instrument brush up. You never know when you'll need it.
safe flying..

Last edited:
Not in a powered craft since November of '13. Getting ready to solo in a non-powered craft, just waiting for the proper weather window. Tomorrow looks good, I may be taking the day off to fly.

Mountain solo coming up? Righteous!

Mountain solo coming up? Righteous!

Cleared the big hill last three weekends running, but tailing badly at the top. Tomorrow the forecast looks good, go re-clear, then head up top and hopefully get that 1st mountain flight! And if I can find a driver, get a few more as well.

Yea, good question... I wondered how dismal my currency was... but I get up on average once every 2-3 weeks... Don't usually go unless good vfr for a hamburger run or day-trip somewhere...

Probably averages out to once a quarter or so. Maybe every other month if I have the time/money.

I try to fly at least once every two weeks, at a minimum. If I go much longer, I feel as if I am behind the airplane. In addition, I find that the airplane has fewer gremlins when it has been flown frequently.

If I don't have a trip or a reason to fly, I will take the airplane for a quick flight during my lunch. I try to do a couple of steep turns to keep my scan and skills up to speed. Then, I will fly the approach in to land.

Abram Finkelstein
N48KY

Try to fly once or twice a week excluding long trips which average 3-4 a year.

When I started I liked to get out at least once a week or I felt little rusty. After a while maybe at least 10 days. Later on I kind of wasn't to concerned about if I didn't have somewhere to go. I actually fly quite a lot but did have spell this winter I didn't fly as much as usual. Felt pretty comfortable even after not flying for month or better. Have been flying about every other day lately. Took off yesterday from Houston for flight to Nebraska and wasn't completely comfortable with the Houston controllers, even though they were great. Seems like always something though. I fly a bunch of different planes and so usually glance thru the poh to verify few things. Hardest thing to get right seems to be the n number of the plane I'm flying. Good thing they put those right in front of your eyes.

I got about 100 hours last year. I'm on track for a lot less this year. 40 of that 100 was my IR training.

Business flights in the Malibu 2x/month.

Fun flights in the Husky, a least 1x week.

If not that often I get rusty in either.

Max is 4-7 days, but that's in the middle of winter, when I can't fly my personal plane at all and with work we don't fly every day.

Normally I average once every day or two.

Usually twice a week (Sat and Sun)

Weather in DFW area hasn't allowed it for about a month though.

Once or twice a week.....I really look daily for an excuse to fly!! They never said it was an addiction in the brochure....lol

I try to fly once per week, even if it's for 30 minutes. It's easy for me because we have decent weather most of the time, I own a plane, and my hangar/airport is about 7-8 minutes away from home. I'm a lucky feller.

OTOH, there's not much to see from the air around here, unless you find flat earth and pumpjacks attractive.

Winter flying is a pain and becomes more infrequent the older I get. Preheating, shoveling snow, and dealing with airplane covers in the cold and wind isn't as much fun as it used to be.

I second that Stewartb :yes:

Generally I don't go more than 2 days without flying, but I'm also training and building hours, so it's not all recreational.

I try to go up once every two weeks minimum. Much longer and I feel less sharp. Not saying I make it every two, but that's what I try to do.

Sometimes I fly 4 times in a week, sometimes I go 30-45 days between flights. I average about 6-8 flights per month over the course of a year.

Back