Left handed pilots

Flying_with_Tony

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Tony31V
Random question. For those of us southpaws. Do you keep your knee board on the right or left knee? When I started flying I would put it on the right. But reaching over is sometimes a pain. On the other hand. Not a lot of elbow room on the left. Just curious if you guys switch it up.

left

however, I am ambidextrous but primarily write left handed

left at work, right in the lawnmower.

I made my own kneeboard. Clamped it to my leg about three times, then just used it as a clipboard after that. Stuffed it into whatever crevice was handy (not near the windshield) and grabbed it when I needed to scribble something.

Sometimes the gimmickry is more hassle than it's worth. Kitchen gadgets are the same way: buy something that slices and dices and shreds and stuff, and then takes an hour to clean up afterward. Two or three instances of that and you just grab the old knife and do it the time-honored way. Thrift shops and garage sales are full of expensive culinary doodads that people just had to have.

Left handed, tiny kneeboard (when I use one) on left leg, left hand on throttle, right hand on stick.

Nauga,
ready to copy

Left, on the rare occasion that I actually use one.

I am somewhat ambidextrous, but am left handed.
Also feel comfortable flying from the left, or right seat. Have driven a right hand drive car, that was also no big deal. Oddly I can only golf left handed though.

I don’t bother with a knee board. If I use anything at all, I just use a mini legal pad on a clipboard that is normally stored in a pocket or on the floor.

As a side note, I am convinced that all left handed people are really ambidextrous to some degree or another. Writing with my right hand is not pretty but I can do many other things equally well with both hands. I’ve never met anyone who was completely incapable of doing things right handed.

I don’t bother with a knee board. If I use anything at all, I just use a mini legal pad on a clipboard that is normally stored in a pocket or on the floor.

As a side note, I am convinced that all left handed people are really ambidextrous to some degree or another. Writing with my right hand is not pretty but I can do many other things equally well with both hands. I’ve never met anyone who was completely incapable of doing things right handed.

I can do many things right-handed, but writing is no where NEAR that list.

Right leg - not enough elbow room if I put it on the left. I have learned to do many things right handed, but like others, writing isn’t one of them. Right hand handwriting looks like a 5 year old wrote it while blindfolded on a tilt-a-whirl.

Left leg but the only time I really wear one is IFR

I wore it on the right leg in the Prowler at night since the kneeboard light was there but I just wrote sidewise on it.

I've never used a kneeboard, but back in my Citation days we'd have a pad to write on and I'd put it on my right knee:

IMG_0007.jpeg

I've never used a kneeboard, but back in my Citation days we'd have a pad to write on and I'd put it on my right knee:

View attachment 107492

wtf.gif

Left.

works great everywhere but the right seat of a side by side. Basically do nothing but check rides now so am back to taking notes.

Right leg when sitting in the left seat, and left leg when sitting in the right seat.

When I got out of trainers I found a folding board (aluminum) that I could sit on my legs, either folded or open, whatever worked best.

I tried writing on the back of my hand, but folks that I had some weird disease....

Lot more lefties here than I thought.

Random question. For those of us southpaws. Do you keep your knee board on the right or left knee? When I started flying I would put it on the right. But reaching over is sometimes a pain. On the other hand. Not a lot of elbow room on the left. Just curious if you guys switch it up.

Lift weights and wear it on the right forearm.

Helicopter- Kneeboard on left leg.
Airplane- Kneeboard on right leg until it gets in the way, then clipboard in lap.

Since you're the only one to comment, apparently people can see me with a Jonas Brothers notepad in the cockpit and think, "Yeah, that tracks." :p

(I had lost a bet and had to use that notepad for a month)

Back