Leesburg VA

Pfitmx15

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Pfitmx15
Hey everyone not sure if this is the best place for it but I'll try anyway. I'm an air traffic controller and also fly ga on the side. I have to go to Leesburg VA for two weeks of training at the beginning of December. Looking for advice on the best place to rent around there. I have checked out their websites but just looking for some personal experience. I'm looking to get some hands on experience on flying through the DC airspace. I've read about it but would like to do a little aerial tour and get some experience at the same time. Thanks for your help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Aviation Adventures there at JYO. Take the online DC SFRA course and pay attention to the JYO procedures and you'll be fine.

Last edited:
At jyo you can fly in and out of the airport,without talking to anyone,with a special VFR code for the airport. Two very good flight schools on the airport.

Hey everyone not sure if this is the best place for it but I'll try anyway. I'm an air traffic controller and also fly ga on the side. I have to go to Leesburg VA for two weeks of training at the beginning of December. Looking for advice on the best place to rent around there. I have checked out their websites but just looking for some personal experience. I'm looking to get some hands on experience on flying through the DC airspace. I've read about it but would like to do a little aerial tour and get some experience at the same time. Thanks for your help.

Kool...

Another ATC guy....:thumbsup:

Pull up a chair and stay awhile..

Cool guys thanks. 1bh where are you Atc at? As far as the rich comment, I just fly ga through a local club. I got all my ratings while in the military in anticipation of an airline career.

Cool guys thanks. 1bh where are you Atc at? As far as the rich comment, I just fly ga through a local club. I got all my ratings while in the military in anticipation of an airline career.

I am not an atc guy,,, just glad we have another atc guy here to ask questions to.

Super! Welcome to PoA, and enjoy your visit to Leesburg. There are a couple of nice restaurants in downtown Leesburg if you are not otherwise "fed", including Tuskies and Lightfoot.

To set expectation, an "airborne tour" will not include the downtown DC area - even folks cleared into the FRZ/DC-3 airports don't generally get to enjoy the sites we used to.

Super! Welcome to PoA, and enjoy your visit to Leesburg. There are a couple of nice restaurants in downtown Leesburg if you are not otherwise "fed", including Tuskies and Lightfoot.

To set expectation, an "airborne tour" will not include the downtown DC area - even folks cleared into the FRZ/DC-3 airports don't generally get to enjoy the sites we used to.

Cool thanks for the info. I figured as much on the site seeing. My biggest goal was just to go up and get more familiar with the area and procedures. I had looked at the two major schools' websites but just wanted opinions from anyone who used them. Seems that they are both good from what I am hearing. I would love to get out while I'm there to get some good eats. As a matter of fact I'll be flying my wife up for the weekend while I'm there so thanks for the recommendations.

Lastly if anyone is in the area and would like to meet up to talk atc or flying just let me know. Always love talking aviation. I'll be in the area from Nov 30-Dec10.

I've got issues with adventures, but that won't keep me from sending people to them.

Tuskies is a good restaurant. It's a shame the mighty midget kitchen is gone :) (I thought someone said they were going to relocate it to the airport).

Sure shoot me a PM (or an email via the forum). I live on the south side of Dulles Airport.

I may also be able to meet up depending on the day. As with Ron, send a PM. I live just off the Beltway.

Sounds good. Would love to get together for a drink and dinner. I get out of training at 5 each day and I am free after that. Looks like either Friday night dec 4 or Monday Tuesday the following week will be the best for me. Let me know what works for y'all.

Back