LED Landing Light Replacement

Bought two from goodiesforpilots, the flood worked, the spot was DOA. Emailed them, no answer. The prices on their dodgy website went from $40 to $150. This seems to be the same thing:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PY5PL5J
Should have just bought Whelen Parmetheus to begin with.

edited to add:
New one tested good.
Pried apart the dead one, it had a cold solder joint. Reflowed it and it works fine. Sigh.

Last edited:
FWIW I installed these and had pretty substantial RFI, then installed the Whelen Parmetheus Plus's and had none. That being said, my plane is the ONLY one I have heard of that has had issues.

Make that two. I returned them because of the RFI. Still don't have LED landing/taxi lights.

Jim, Exactly which TSO applies to a Bulb?

I fabricated my own LED lights; bada-bing.
I told a company exactly how to make an LED light for me, just so happened they had one exactly the same as I described in my engineering documents on the shelf and mailed it to me. Voila.

Since this thread got resurrected again...
The hangar elves put a WAT Parmetheus landing light in my Lance.
They also made a logbook entry.
The plane has not as of yet burst into flame or fallen from the sky, but it lights up the runway a lot better at night.
Will it explode? Will it pass annual?
Tune in next time to find out, on "As the Prop Turns"!

Installed Whelen on KingAirs. They would ice up in the winter. Replaced with Boom Beams. Now the pilots can see a long, long way, they don't ice up and last a long time. You get what you pay for.

Installed Whelen on KingAirs. They would ice up in the winter. Replaced with Boom Beams. Now the pilots can see a long, long way, they don't ice up and last a long time. You get what you pay for.
Now we need heated LED landing lights.

Regardless of which (Aviation) forum I always find it fascinating that there can be so much discussion and debate on how to change a light bulb.

How many pilots does it take to change a light bulb...?

Bought two from goodiesforpilots, the flood worked, the spot was DOA. Emailed them, no answer. The prices on their dodgy website went from $40 to $150. This seems to be the same thing:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PY5PL5J
Should have just bought Whelen Parmetheus to begin with.

edited to add:
New one tested good.
Pried apart the dead one, it had a cold solder joint. Reflowed it and it works fine. Sigh.
44 lbs.???? Is that a typo?

So...... is it legal for me to buy the $39.95 Amazon LED, install it myself on my Cessna 172L ? Do I need a A&P to install it? Do I need the Aircraft Spruce $250 version???????

is it legal for me to buy the $39.95 Amazon LED,
Yes.
install it myself on my Cessna 172L ?
No. If the LED was a FAA certified/acceptable replacement part then yes under Part 43 prevent mx. A non-certified part has to be installed as a Part 43 alteration.
Do I need a A&P to install it?
Yes. Only an AP can perform aircraft alterations.
Do I need the Aircraft Spruce $250 version???????
Depends if you can find an AP who will install the amazon LED. But as mentioned before, some of those cheap LEDs can cause interference issues with other aircraft systems due to their build quality.

Last edited:
Yes.

No. If the LED was a FAA certified/acceptable replacement part then yes under Part 43 prevent mx. A non-certified part has to be installed as a Part 43 alteration.
I would agree if you were replacing a certified part with another certified part ( i.e a MacCauley prop with a Hartzell prop) but in this case you are replacing one non-certified part with another non-certified part.

I would agree if you were replacing a certified part with another certified part ( i.e a MacCauley prop with a Hartzell prop) but in this case you are replacing one non-certified part with another non-certified part.
Depends on viewpoint. If comparing a GE 4591 (OEM bulb) to the Amazon LED while sitting on the shelf, sure both could be considered “non-certified.” However, when looking at the 4591 installed on a Cessna 182 the bulb is considered “certified” but not on its own merits rather it’s certified under the type design, i.e., type certificate. As are most parts in an aircraft IPC.

So to replace the bulb requires either the same part or a different FAA approved part in order to maintain the integrity of the certified type design. Now if you want to alter the type design then you can install the Amazon LED as a minor or major alteration.

Some people will try the Standard Parts route, which require no certification, but that route can take you into a lot of gray area vs a simple minor alteration install.

RFI can be an issue even with some higher priced LED lights as well. I helped a friend track down his com problem...squelch was staying open...LED landing light was the cause.

Back