Leaving for Hawaii on Wednesday

ki4lzk

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Joshua Jones
My wife and I have a plane to catch Wednesday to go to Hawaii and I am excited! Does anyone have a suggestion as to a good instructor with a plane available for a scenic flight? I will be on the 4 main islands through out our 10 day adventure.

Thanks

Josh

That sounds like fun, but I am afraid I would be a little to fat. I am nearly 300lbs.

The hour flight I did at at Maui Aviators was one of the coolest flights in my life - we did the Molokai Cliffs, Lanai, Lahaina, and across the island back to the airport. Don't waste money on a checkout - bring an instructor who will be an awesome tour guide.

I used Mark Jones from Moore Air in PHNL. I flew from PHNL to Pogg in Maui.

Obviously depends on what islands you will be visiting. If you get to the Big Island check out Mike Lauro and Tropicbird Flight Service. Great knowledge of the Island and interesting weather pattern experience. A really great flight experience you won't forget. You can check them out at..... http://tropicbirdflightservice.com/

OK, you are already here in paradise. I'll second the votes for Maui Aviators and Tropicbird. I've flown with both over the years. And the suggestion to skip the checkout and just take the CFI is spot on. They make great tour guides and can pronounce the reporting points on the radio.

Have fun. We head home from Kauai tomorrow.

We head home from Kauai tomorrow.

Ghery,

I'm heading for Kauai next month. What are you, "Must See" attractions do you recommend? This will be my first time on Kauai. Usually, we go to Maui. Thanks!

Darren

Obviously depends on what islands you will be visiting. If you get to the Big Island check out Mike Lauro and Tropicbird Flight Service. Great knowledge of the Island and interesting weather pattern experience. A really great flight experience you won't forget. You can check them out at..... http://tropicbirdflightservice.com/
:yeahthat:
Highly recommend

Ghery,

I'm heading for Kauai next month. What are you, "Must See" attractions do you recommend? This will be my first time on Kauai. Usually, we go to Maui. Thanks!

Darren

Darren, my wife and I are headed to Kaua'i next month as well... 9/12 - 9/17. First visit to the Islands for us. When will you be there?

We are going biplane flying with Kevin from Tropical Biplanes (Google it), he is based at Lihue.

For "what to do", check out The Ultimate Kauai Guidebook by Andrew Doughty--written by a pilot who lives on the Island. I grabbed the latest Kindle edition off Amazon, or you can grab the iPhone app if you use Apple devices.

We are going snorkeling, an ocean catamaran tour to Na Pali from the north shore with Na Pali Sea Breeze, the obligatory Lu'au (Smith Family Garden Lu'au at Wailua Marina State Park), the biplane flight, some easy hikes and some relaxing.

TripAdvisor.com also has good information and reviews from travelers, for free.

yqasu3eb.jpg

Btw my fiancée and I did a Blue Hawaii tour in Oahu. It was great. We plan on doing a helicopter tour in Maui.

Darren, my wife and I are headed to Kaua'i next month as well... 9/12 - 9/17. First visit to the Islands for us. When will you be there?

We are going biplane flying with Kevin from Tropical Biplanes (Google it), he is based at Lihue.

For "what to do", check out The Ultimate Kauai Guidebook by Andrew Doughty--written by a pilot who lives on the Island. I grabbed the latest Kindle edition off Amazon, or you can grab the iPhone app if you use Apple devices.

We are going snorkeling, an ocean catamaran tour to Na Pali from the north shore with Na Pali Sea Breeze, the obligatory Lu'au (Smith Family Garden Lu'au at Wailua Marina State Park), the biplane flight, some easy hikes and some relaxing.

TripAdvisor.com also has good information and reviews from travelers, for free.

Troy,

My wife and I will be there 22-29 Sep 2013, to celebrate our 19th year anniversary! Since my wife makes the attraction decisions, I'll advisor her about your recommendations. For one, my wife mentioned Wailua Falls; location where they filmed "Fantasy Island". I may have to take a Bipe ride with Tropical Biplanes.

Thanks!
Darren

I will be in Maui a week from today. Sounds like a call to Maui Aviators is in the plans. I want to fly to Hana and see the grave of Charles Lindberg.

Troy,

My wife and I will be there 22-29 Sep 2013, to celebrate our 19th year anniversary! Since my wife makes the attraction decisions, I'll advisor her about your recommendations. For one, my wife mentioned Wailua Falls; location where they filmed "Fantasy Island". I may have to take a Bipe ride with Tropical Biplanes.

Thanks!
Darren

If you go SOLO (without your wife), bring your pilot certificate and let Kevin know in advance... He said with one up front he can install the stick and let you get some stick time!

I went up in a seaplane with these guys a few years back and it was an awesome experience! My aunt lives in Hawaii and it was her first time up in a little plane she loved it as well and my first time up in a seaplane. Went around the whole island of Oahu even got to see some whales, they also did seaplane training there. The pilot was great too his dad or grandfather had one of the original pilot's licenses signed by the Wright Brothers which he still has

http://www.islandseaplane.com/index.html

PJ

Here's Part 1 of our biplane flight over Kauai, which covers from walking out to the airplane to the Na Pali Coast; Part 2 (which is still uploading and I'll post later today) covers the flight north up the Na Pali Coast and the incredible mountain and waterfall views when we turned inland. Be sure to go full screen and HD for the best experience. This is raw unedited video--you won't get to hear the pilot's tour narration, just the sound of the wind. Turn on some nice music and mute your speakers if you just want to enjoy Kauai visually!

http://youtu.be/dRMGhE2RfbI

Part 2 is here (and if you thought Part 1 was cool, Part 2 has some amazing inland waterfall and mountain footage):

http://youtu.be/u_nhjMKHsag

Last edited:
Unfortunately I didn't get to fly while in Hawaii. The island of Hawaii was my favorite followed by Kauai. If you enjoy a nice brew the koan brewery had awesome beer.

Back