Learning to fly a taildragger ...

TreeTopFlyer83

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
TreeTopFlyer83
I am preparing to start my flight training in an Aeronca Champ. Any advice? Should I complete ground school first? Should I get the medical out of the way before hand? Do I have to? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all.

Everybody learns differently. Get your medical out of the way. Do the flying and the ground school concurrently - most people find that works best.
Most important thing is to have fun doing it. :thumbsup:

Everybody learns differently. Get your medical out of the way. Do the flying and the ground school concurrently - most people find that works best.
Most important thing is to have fun doing it. :thumbsup:

Thank you for the reply and the information. A little nervous but really excited to start.

As others have said just be sure you don't FLUNK a medical. You have to disclose everything in your medical history, and the common reasons for failure often have to do with past drug or alcohol use, violations involving drugs or alcohol, and prescription drugs that were prescribed for any kind of medical problem, but particularly for mental health issues. If you think there's any chance of any of those types of problems, pause and seek more detailed information before you fill out MedXpress to see an AME.

Starting in a Champ is a great way to go.

You should have at least some of the ground school started before flight training. There isn't much point in starting something like your cross countries if you don't know anything about the flight planning, weather, VOR or GPS basics.
As far as I remember, you have to have to have your medical before soloing any plane.

A Champ is a fun and simple plane to fly, as long as you understand that and don't expect it to be something it isn't, like a fast X/C plane.
The basic 7AC if kept light will be like a feather in the wind, at the mercy of air currents to a degree. It depends on the model of Champ, but you may not be able to complete all of your training in it towards your Private Certificate. Later models may have an electrical system with lights and more instruments.
I've owned mine since 1985.
Let us know what model of Champ you plan on flying and post a few photos of it too.
Good luck

Great choice to start right off with one with proper landing gear! You got this!

One thing that works for me, and I try to impart to students, is the mental image of “feeling for the runway” with the tailwheel, with the intent to land ever-so-slightly tailwheel first. If done right, the mains will then drop a couple of inches as the plane is done flying with the stick all the way back. I find that’s a bit less “exciting” than touching down all 3 at the same time, as the wing is fully stalled and energy is lower.

In any case, knock on wood, 1,500 tailwheel hours, much of it instructing, with nary a ground loop*. So there’s that!

*Yet.

Last edited:
Back