Learning gas welding

sarangan

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Andrew, CFI-I
I am generally very good at learning stuff myself, but this one skill has evaded me for several months. I have the Detroit Cobra oxy-acetylene torch (apparently it is a well-regarded model), and watched dozens of youtube videos, but I can't seem to get the hang of it. I tried to braze weld a bracket to a radiator, and ended up putting holes into the radiator. I tried filling those holes, and they became even large holes, and I ended up throwing the whole thing out. The youtube videos mostly demonstrate how to weld two small plates of metals together, which I am able to do with some success. But practical situations are rarely that simple, like welding a bracket to a radiator. I think what I need is a basic shop course on welding so I can learn the techniques from a live instructor. I've checked the community colleges in my area and they are only interested in nationally certified welding programs etc.. I also don't want to pay thousands of dollars to learn it. Does EAA offer anything like this? Any other suggestions?

I do this ,, where are you?

Go to Airventure. There are workshops on welding, gas included, with hands on instruction. Thing with learning to weld is to practice practice practice. The day will come when it clicks. Keep at it.

If you are blowing holes when brazing steel - way way way too much heat. All you need is to get it just glowing red for the bronze to flow and stick. There should be no melting of the parent metal. Turn down the gas flow, don't get the flame that close to the part.
If you are trying to weld thin brass with brazing rod - less heat, thinner rod, use the rod to protect the base metal. Bigger challenge.
Are you welding or brazing?

A couple things might help. Always hold the torch at a 45 degree angle to the work, otherwise, you'll blow through, and keep the torch moving. Second, watch the puddle, not the tip of the torch. The puddle shimmer will tell you when to add filler metal. Third, if you're brazing, use a bit of a carborizing flame and don't be shy with the flux. Brazing is a little different in that it's really more like soldering than welding.

Find a real welding supply shop locally, like a Welco or Praxair shop. They have cards that will tell you what size tip to use for what material. They may also know somebody you can throw a few bucks to for an afternoon to learn the basics. From there, it's just practice.

Welding is one of those skills you learn by doing. If you can get good with an oxy torch, you can weld with anything. Keep at it, it's a very valuable thing to know how to do. I learned from a friend who was old Navy welder. One of the best things I ever did.

Last edited:
I had that problem when I got my first torch. I asked a guy at a local welding supply store for help and he gave me the manual that was supposed to come with my torch set. It tells you the tip size and pressure settings for different thicknesses of different kinds of metal. That made all the difference in the world.

As others have suggested, I was using the wrong size tips and the wrong pressure settings. I’d either burn holes or the welds wouldn’t penetrate. Once I started using the settings in the manual things got better quickly.

This link has similar information to what’s in the manual I have. http://americantorchtip.com/wp-content/uploads/01-victor-tip-cut-chart.pdf

Gary

I tried to braze weld a bracket to a radiator, and ended up putting holes into the radiator.

You don't say what materials you are welding and how thick they are. What nozzle sizes are you using? With brazing you will need to use flux and the materials need to be completely clean and free of corrosion, paint, or any contaminants at all.

Probably your local community vo-tech school offers a gas welding class. Take it.

Probably your local community vo-tech school offers a gas welding class. Take it.

I have checked. They only offer certified welding technician programs, not courses for some hobbyist.

I have checked. They only offer certified welding technician programs, not courses for some hobbyist.
Too bad. Ours offers professional daytime curriculum but also a strong evening program that includes gas, MIG, and TIG, machine shop, etc.

One of the problems with learning to weld is finding stuff to practice on. I'd suggest finding a local sheet metal shop (not heating/AC -- material is too thin) and paying for them to cut up some steel sheet samples from their scrap bin. Various thicknesses up to maybe 1/8" and sizes from about 6" square to maybe 12" square. One of the problems with small pieces is that they heat up very quickly and give you an experience that is not at all like real world welding. Another thing you might try is welding exhaust tubing from a muffler shop scrap bin. You can cut those up with a fine tooth hacksaw.

Don't be tempted to practice on galvanized metal. The zinc vapors are bad for you.

Welding was the only course at A&P school that I struggled with and by struggled with I mean totally sucked at. But we didn’t really get that much hands-on time with it. Over the subsequent nearly 40 years, I have frequently thought about taking a course or two at a local vo-tech school but never did. Now if I were to do it, I’d probably never get a good ROI out of it as I’d have little opportunities to use the skill. Still might be fun.

The other thing to bear in mind (lots to bear in mind!) is that 90% of a good weld job is in the prep. Clean metal and even gaps make the job a lot easier, and the finished weld look more professional. Go to a metal supplier and ask if they'll sell you small "drops" cheap, or go to a pik n pull and buy a car door or hood to practice patching, and get a feel for how the metal shrinks and such as you work it.

As recommended by others, I went to the gas welding workshop at Airventure. Nothing beats information and hands-on experience. To top it off, the guy also told us to come back if we want to learn aluminum welding. He said they don't advertise the aluminum welding workshop because too many people would show up. He showed us how to weld aluminum using oxy-hydrogen welding. He showed us gas tanks and various things he had made. In all my searching I did never come across this technique. It was an extremely valuable experience.

Back