learned something today...almost the hard way

Hocky

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
Hocky
Went for a flight this morning and when I got back jumped out the plane and it started rolling towards a wall, spinner first as I was about two or three steps away. :hairraise: :eek: :yikes:

This was in a place where I have stopped before but it has never rolled.

I managed to jump back in and stopped it probably three feet before it contacted the wall. Next time I will remember to use the parking brake.

Dayum!

:redface:

Make sure if you are setting the brakes, that no one is going to try to tow the airplane anytime soon!:nono: Set the brake, then chock it, release brake, if you're on a ramp that tows airplanes to tie downs etc.;)

Went for a flight this morning and when I got back jumped out the plane and it started rolling towards a wall, spinner first as I was about two or three steps away. :hairraise: :eek: :yikes:

This was in a place where I have stopped before but it has never rolled.

I managed to jump back in and stopped it probably three feet before it contacted the wall. Next time I will remember to use the parking brake.

Dayum!

:redface:

I love when people share stuff like this. It helps us all learn, never get complacent, and be safer.

We're all human, and thank you very much for sharing that with us. Glad you saved it!

My first FBO had a slightly sloped ramp. The last thing I did before I climbed in was un-chock it, and the first thing I did when I climbed out was chock it.

One time I was with my CFI going through my prestart checklist, head down, and my peripheral vision caught the plane next to me moving backwards. It took a second to realize I was rolling forward.

And already mentioned - be careful about leaving the parking brake set if the plane might be moved.

I love when people share stuff like this. It helps us all learn, never get complacent, and be safer.

We're all human, and thank you very much for sharing that with us. Glad you saved it!

Exactly, no shame in something like that! At least you didn't drive almost an hour and forget the keys!:D

Exactly, no shame in something like that! At least you didn't drive almost an hour and forget the keys!:D

Or the ol' adding power to get rolling, "The brake is off and I've removed the tie-down..." Chocks still in place. :redface:

I'm impressed that there are planes out there with working parking brakes. I've never flown one!

Back